It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
(female)

The Inquirer HB User
Root Canal -- Is This Normal?

Well, I lived almost 39 years without ever having a root canal and now I've had two in less than a month. Currently the temporaries (which look like white clay) are on until I get the impressions for the crowns made this week. Anyway, when I bite down on the corners of the root canal teeth that were not shaved down, I get that shiver down your spine/sensitive kind of feeling. Is that normal? I thought the whole tooth is supposed to be dead. He took x-rays after both of them and said they were perfect.

This whole process has been an absolute nightmare for me and I'm really hoping that someone is going to tell me that when they totally shave the teeth down for the crowns that it will be fine. Scared, though.

Thanks for any advice...

Inq

Old 01-06-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Root Canal -- Is This Normal?

You should not be chewing on the teeth that had the root canals for at least two weeks or until you get the permanent crowns/seals. That's usually in the post op instructions given out by the endo...at least all the ones I know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
(female)

jillian1219 HB User

I have had four root canals - the last one I could feel the tooth for about a month - then it let up. dont chew on it - it will settle down....give it some time. if you feel the pain is getting worse then call in - the first root canal I had years ago didnot take and they had to go in and do it again....it was awful....but you want to save the tooth...sorry you are goin thru this

Old 01-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
(female)

The Inquirer HB User

Thank you both for your replies.

I am not chewing on that side, but when I chew on the other, it scrapes against the bottom tooth that matches up with it. There is both the chill feeling and pain. I am already on an antibiotic for something else, but I don't know know what else I can do. The endodontist isn't in the office up here until Wednesday, but I will call the office first thing in the morning -- the dentists will at least be there. I have his cell number and could call him now, but I don't see what good that would do. I'm having a total breakdown over this -- it feels like it's never going to end.

Inq

Old 01-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
(female)

jillian1219 HB User

i feel your pain - i am having a problem right now with a tooth - having a root canal on tuesday - you said you are already on a med.....but are still having the pains when you eat. call your dentist - there is no harm in making the call if it gives you peace of mind. i also want you to remember it could be worse.....try to think of people who are really sick....thats how i have gotten thru the weekend.....i know what you are going thru....hang in there and make the call either on his cell or in the morning....please dont freak out about it....it will get better....i promise.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:33 PM   #6
(female)

The Inquirer HB User

Thanks so much, Jillian -- you're very sweet.

I actually did call. He said that it could take up to a week to settle down, though it should not be getting worse. He wants me to call him tomorrow to let him know. He assures me the tooth is dead, but that doesn't make sense to me with all that I'm feeling. He also said that the antibiotic I'm on for something else wouldn't be the right antibiotic for the tooth. Advil seems to take care of the pain, but not the chill down your spine thing.

I've been having dental issues for over three weeks and it's just draining me. What happened was that I finally found a new dentist (2 actually). They happen to be the dentists for a professional hockey team ($$) and they keep an endodontist on staff twice a week. So, anyway, when I first went, I thought I just needed my gum cleaned out, but no, I needed a root canal. I have bad dental anxiety, so this was not a great way to start out. I must say, though, that the procedure itself is nothing, really. Anyway, I had another tooth that was broken and I neglected, which is what led me to this root canal last Friday. 2 in less than a month. I guess the good news is that the next time I need a filling, it'll be no big deal at all.

I do remind myself that it could be so much worse, and then I feel guilty, etc, etc...It's just that I have a few other health issues that are not at all life-threatening, but they do get in the way of living life the way I'd like to, so this whole dental thing just kind of pushed me over the edge.

The endodontist and you have both assured me I'll get through this, which helps. Thank you so very much for your kind words -- I really appreciate it. And definitely let me know how yours goes on Tuesday.

Many thanks,
Inq

Old 01-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #7
(female)

jillian1219 HB User

I am glad you made the call - sounds like you are dealing with it and I know its not easy. Today I was thinking the things we take for granted - like biting into a sandwich - tonite my mouth is swollen from my tooth and i am drinking from a straw. going back to the dentist tomorrow I also called mine tonite !! hang in there.....and I will too !! thank you for your kind words as well....and in a few days we will look back at this and be glad its over with - it just takes time.....

Old 01-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
(female)

The Inquirer HB User

Hi Jillian,

Here's the latest. The endo told me to go see the dentist so he could take a look at it. He didn't think the swellling was anything bad, but said my bite was off and if I kept hitting it then it couldn't heal. He said he wanted to shave down the tooth. I asked if it would hurt. He said he could give me novacaine, but I just told him to go for it. He shaved it way down and said that if the tooth wasn't dead I would have hit the ceiling. I guess that's encouraging, but I'm taking NOTHING for granted at this point. The side of my face still hurts, but I'm taking him at his word that it needs to settle down now. At any rate, I have to go back on Thursday to get the impression done for the first root canal tooth (wonder what that's going to entail), so at least I'll be in the right place if I'm still having a problem.

How did things go with you at the dentist today?

Inq

Old 01-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #9
(female)

jillian1219 HB User

I am glad you went today - so it didnot hurt? thats wonderful - means they did what they are supposed to do. but i know what you mean - when you are in constant pain you just get so frustrated - and sometimes even scared that the pain is not going to stop - but it will.....

i went today thinking they would just take a look but she asked if i wanted her to do the root canal - i said lets do it....now i have had alot of pain the last four days so my mouth is swollen - she novacained me - but i felt the whole root canal - thank God it only has one canal in the front - the pain was bad but i told her to keep goin...she did more novacain but it didnot dull the pain - this has never happened to me before - normally i dont feel anything - so i dont want you think this would happen to you....its because of the swelling and issues i have had with this tooth....tonite i am on pain meds....still some pain but the most wonderful thing happened....i was able to eat a piece of toast....and it didnot hurt to bite down. she told me to resume doing everything but i will eat the soft stuff for another week cuz i get paranoid. i just hope the pain lets up soon -

i hate to sound doom and gloom - but you know what its like....nothing worse than mouth pain because its so constant - you said the side of your face is still hurting....give it some time....when we get on the other side and have no pain we will look back and say thank God its over with....we just have to hang in there....keep me posted on how you are doing

Old 01-08-2008, 05:41 AM   #10
(female)

The Inquirer HB User

Well, I'm actually home from work because I was up at 2:00 a.m. with the pocket where my wisdom tooth was (right behind the root canal tooth) so swollen I could't close my mouth....cheekbone is killing me...and the tooth itself hurts to the touch. I can't take it anymore. I am waiting for them to call me back. I'm really ready to go to the oral surgeon and tell him to yank it.

I'm glad you were able to get a head start on your tooth, but soooooooo sorry you could feel it all -- that's horrible! I have heard that can happen if it's very infected. Was she able to do the whole thing or do you have to go back a second time? Keep taking those pain meds!

I'll write later when I hear from/see the doctor.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

ive had a root canal done today ,was in the chair for 45 minutes
jaw was aching ,my dentist put a tempory filling in ,because he cannot finish the canal til next week,he warned me i might have some pain when the anastetic wore off,but lucky for me i'm in no pain whats so ever.
hope i dont regret saying that and it turns up tomorrow *eek*

its seems to me ,the pain your getting is as if the nerve is still in there ,so whether he has left some behind? but apart from pain from the drilling of the tooth etc ,you shouldnt get any other sort of pain ,get another appointment as soon as you can get it checked out.

it seems to me you have an infection inquirer,you need some anti biotics and some pain killers ,go back to your dentist ,he be able to give you both

good luck

Last edited by bergerbaby; 01-08-2008 at 10:14 AM. Reason: adding more

Old 01-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #12
(female)

jillian1219 HB User

Inquirer - so sorry you are in pain - thats the worst. I hope they took care of you today - and that you are comfortable by now. my root canal is over - second day out of work - swollen mouth but slowly getting better. Please let me know how you are doing....this pain is the worst...especially in the night it seems to always throb more !! they always want you to save the tooth - but its totally up to you...sometimes you just want the pain to stop - i understand.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #13
(female)

The Inquirer HB User

Hi,

Sorry I didn't write sooner, but I kind of went UTC (under the covers) for the rest of the day to try and escape it all. OK, so this is what happened...The dentist called the endodontist, who wanted me to go down to his office in Queens, which is too far and too complicated from where I am. So, I am seeing him here tomorrow at 3:30. It then dawned on me that tomorrow is a long way away, so I called back and told the secretary that I have naprosyn and prednisone here and could she ask him if either one of those would help. She called back and said that he said I could take either one. So, I took the steroids, which have helped a lot with the cheekbone and jaw. Of course, I am scared to go to bed, for fear of waking up in the middle of the night. At this point, I am just scared that there is something going on with the bone and have imagined all these horrific scenarios. I'm just trying to stay calm until I get there. Oh, and I did make a tentative appt with the oral surgeon on Monday for a consultation...although I hear you can end up with a lot of problems after pulling a tooth as well.

I hope that you are feeling better -- hopefully each day will get better and better. Then we can swap impression and crown fitting stories -- woo-hoo! Unfortunately, I believe this site does not allow for the exchanging of e-mail addresses. I can't imagine anyone else is interested in reading this anymore though. If you want, I can look into the rules further and write to the moderator if you would prefer to communicate that way and IF they will allow it.

Thanks again for listening,
Inq
P.S. Is your birthday December 19th?

EDIT -- Hi Jillian...I just reviewed the rules and even requesting permission to exchange e-mails is out of the question. This board has been very beneficial to me, so I think we'll just have to abide by it...I guess those who aren't interested don't have to read it.

Last edited by The Inquirer; 01-08-2008 at 05:40 PM. Reason: additional information

Old 01-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #14
(female)

jillian1219 HB User

hay - glad you have an appointment....I know what you mean about thinking the worst - when my face started swelling after the cavity I thought maybe I had nerve damage in my face which I know is not realistic but your mind can really freak you out....I hear you!! let me know how you make out - it will get better....takes time for the nerves to calm down....I am better today - have you been putting ice on your face? put some ice in a pillow case....apply 20 min and it really helps....my mouth is much better tonite but i know in the morning it may be swollen again....but the ice does calm the swelling and the throbbing.....I did it off and on all day today....I hope you feel better real soon. you are funny - hay let them read all our ailments ....misery loves company....haha seriously I hope you get a good nites sleep - I was given some very strong pain killers from my dentist and thank God for them there is no way I could have slept last nite without them !!! let me know how you make out tomorrow my friend....take care - and yes that is my birth date

Old 01-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #15
(female)

The Inquirer HB User

Helloooooo!

Well, I slept pretty well (which is hard to do when you're on steroids!)...went to work and promptly broke a small part of the temporary on the first root canal tooth and saw stars for about an hour! It's fine now and I'm getting the impression done tomorrow. The steroids have helped so much that I had to tell the endo this afternoon that I have a smile on my face now, but that I went through three days of you-know-what. I told him I wanted to be sure that I wasn't just masking a major problem. He poked, and tapped and looked around and said he sees absolutely nothing wrong. He promised me I will be just fine. Do I want to believe him? Yes. Can I right now? No, not until I wean off the steroids (3 more days) and see what happens. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Tomorrow I go for the impression and, apparently, they give you some novacaine because they have to manipulate the gums and push them back to make sure they get a good fit later for the crown. Not exactly looking forward to that, but it can't possibly be worse than what I've been dealing with. I'll let you know.

How are you feeling today? Were you swollen again this morning? I hear ya on the painkillers. I took a half a vicodin last night, just for a little insurance! When do you go for your impression?

Hope you're feeling better!

Inq
P.S. My birthday is the 25th of December! Happy Belated!

Closed Thread