It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
(male)

sungam HB User
Big hole in tooth...

Hello all,
Well about 3-4 months ago after having my teeth deep cleaned one of my fillings came out of my tooth next to the upper left wisdom one. I go to a community dentist and my insurance ended and I have to wait until my paper work gets to me for the clinic to even set an appointment up for me to be seen. So as the months go by the hole gets bigger. I mean the size of a corn kernel in the center of the tooth and the hole goes all the way down past the gum, when my toothbrush bristles go in there it feels as though the nerve is exposed. For a bunch of nights out of the past month and a half now i have had severe pain. I am one known to take pain but this has me in the fetal position rocking back and forth, and to top it off the pain is at its peak during the time i want to go to bed.
I guess my question after hearing the horror stories of brain abscess and what not from infected teeth is, should i be worried if there is no swelling or bad breath, bumps or fever? I got a lil dental mirror to see it and its black in the center with decay around it.
Is it possible that I have an infection after the months past by without treatment?
I am praying I get to see a dentist soon because the pain is so bad I want to just pull it out my self, pain killers have ceased to work. I just tough it out until i pass out then get woken up by the throbbing pain.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
(male)

sungam HB User
Re: Big hole in tooth...

While brushing my teeth yesterday my tooth started bleeding like crazy inside the hole. Went to the dentist today to see if they would see me as an emergency...office said that they only take 2 people a day for that and its when they open the doors at 630 am, first come first serve. Sucks for me not having a car and buses dont start running that early. Man I hate my insurance...
Has anyone had any positive results with clove oil? Ive taken a lot of pain killers and they have stopped working; the pain is bad!! I feel that if I dont get in there in the morning im going to pull it myself.

Last edited by sungam; 01-09-2008 at 11:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

tlhalabama HB User

Sungam, I literally feel your pain as I am currently going through the same exact same thing.

The only difference is that I am being seen by a dentist who put me on antibiotics and pain meds to get me through the holidays as his office was closed for 2 1/2 weeks. These meds did not work. I never even had any infection. No fever either, just constant pain.

I went this week for him to pull the tooth out but just my luck, he was unable to. He worked on it for about an hour but the tooth would not move. I now have an appt. with an oral surgeon next week.

I have been dealing with this pain for over a month now. The only relife I have been able to find is in rinsing the area with warm listerine and apply lots of Orajel.

I'm sorry that I can not be of more help. I hope you can get it seen about very soon because if you are like me, the pain has got to be getting you down.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:47 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

ive read a lot in america about you have to have insurance to see a dentist in america

i cant believe how hard it is to see a dentist,? i live in england ,and it is pretty easy enough to see a dentist and pay for what treatment we need,we can get insurance to help pay for dentist treatment,but its not compulsary

we also have dental hospitals,where we can get free treatment ,and also in emergancy,where students do the work but are supervised
you have to be there about 6am in morning though to queue and they only accept about `18 a day
but also we have emergancy dentists you can turn up or ring if we are in pain

so in america you cannot just sign onto a dentist ,and pay for your treatment with cash?

i mean dont get me wrong sometimes ,i might not get a appointment for a couple of days but it seems in america its much harder
oi always thought america had a better dentistry than britain

well,i hope you get the tooth sorted out really soon as i know what toothache is like suffered long time on and off

all i can suggest ,is keep cleaning your mouth ouit with warm salt water keep infection away
also get olive clove oil put on but over and around the tooth that wiil numb the area also clean and also fights off the infections only thing is try not to get it on your tongue or down your throat its not very nice

Old 01-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
(female)

soliloquy HB User

No, one does not have to have insurance to see the dentist in the US. You can make an appointment and pay with cash, credit card, or check. It can be expensive especially if there are huge problems. It would be so much cheaper if people would seek regular dental care and catch problems before they get so bad.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
(male)

roxcyn HB User

Sungam, I see you don't have dental insurance, well I didn't for the longest time. Basically you need to go to any dentist now! That problem sounds terrible, and even if you pay $50 a month you can pay for the work. That's what I did, they would charge about $200 for a cleaning and films, well guess what? I paid $50 each time I got paid, and then they got their money. My dentist allows at least three months to pay off most stuff (unless it's really expensive such as braces they give you a payment plan), therefore even let's say it's $500, if you paid $100 once and then $50 dollars every time you got paid then it would be paid within the 90 days.
Roxcyn

Old 01-13-2008, 10:02 PM   #7
(male)

roxcyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerbaby View Post
ive read a lot in america about you have to have insurance to see a dentist in america

i cant believe how hard it is to see a dentist,? i live in england ,and it is pretty easy enough to see a dentist and pay for what treatment we need,we can get insurance to help pay for dentist treatment,but its not compulsary

we also have dental hospitals,where we can get free treatment ,and also in emergancy,where students do the work but are supervised
you have to be there about 6am in morning though to queue and they only accept about `18 a day
but also we have emergancy dentists you can turn up or ring if we are in pain

so in america you cannot just sign onto a dentist ,and pay for your treatment with cash?

i mean dont get me wrong sometimes ,i might not get a appointment for a couple of days but it seems in america its much harder
oi always thought america had a better dentistry than britain

well,i hope you get the tooth sorted out really soon as i know what toothache is like suffered long time on and off

all i can suggest ,is keep cleaning your mouth ouit with warm salt water keep infection away
also get olive clove oil put on but over and around the tooth that wiil numb the area also clean and also fights off the infections only thing is try not to get it on your tongue or down your throat its not very nice
Basically, it depends bergerbaby because if someone is willing to pay then you can see almost any dentist. I am assume the original poster doesn't have much money nor can afford what normal dentists charges and can only go to the clinics. Clinics have various rules such as "first come first serve", which makes it tough for people who have a limited income. For people willing to pay (even as I said in my previous post 50USD per week) you can get a dentist that will usually do work such as cavities,cleanings, etc. If you don't have insurance some dentist may request a small deposit for major work (such as 50 or 100 USD). That just makes sense since some people don't pay their bills.

Roxcyn

Old 04-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
(male)

sungam HB User

Well my hole has not yet been fixed and is now all the way where i can see the bone using a dental mirror; and it bleeds everyday. This place has been giving me the run arounds it is ridiculous! I was pleased when they first saw me and gave me pain killers and anitboitics but when i came back they sent me to see about a root canal/basically refusing services to me; because I was ****** at them for not wanting to pull it out because the dentist wasnt experienced in extracting teeth and the one whom was, was on vacation ha! Mind you this was after waiting from 430 am till they opened the doors at 700am and for them to just say oh we cant do it today came back again. Anyway so I go... 550 up front then a month later another 600 for the crown no payment plan! and this is a low income facility.
So another filling has fallen out of the third molar on the bottom and my upper wisodm tooth has been crumbling like eggshells.
The filling that fell out today turned to dust; its been around 14 years since i have been to a dentist so I can see why they are all falling out.
My question is do they have to pull it out along with the rotten hole I already have or can they just fill it again. It doesnt hurt but you can see the soft part of my tooth. Or will they suggest I pay 1000 plus for a root canal again.
Im so sick of the healthcare system here!

Thanks in advance,
Sungam

Last edited by sungam; 04-22-2008 at 12:04 PM.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #9
(female)

bocmember01 HB User

$550 for a molar root canal and then $600 for a crown is not exorbitant, but since you said you haven't seen a dentist in 14 years I wouldn't commit to these expenses until I've had a comprehensive exam with x-rays and an overall treatment plan. It may not make financial sense to salvage this one tooth if there are other teeth with poor prognoses.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #10
(male)

sungam HB User

It might not be exorbitant to some, but those of us who make less than $1000 a month it is. They arent allowing me to pay in chunks; so giving them almost my whole check is out of the question.
Just worried because of all the horror stories I have heard from abcess and lately I ve been feeling very ill. Massive headaches, vomiting etc.
My other teeth are fine I had a screening and cleaning done before this situation. My molar fillings are falling out and rotting because of this insurance problem...
and to get off of work plus school to be there at 4am till they decide if they are going to see 5-10 people that day is ridiculous!

Old 04-24-2008, 04:14 PM   #11
(male)

Moses86 HB User

It's the way things are done in America. You have money and/or are insured, you have the privilege of health care and dental care. You have none? You suffer and you die. Very simple and oh so humane! Anything wrong in this picture ?

Old 04-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #12
(male)

Moses86 HB User

I apologize for getting political, I just find the current system an aberration that only collective will can change.

To the the OP, serious complications from an infected tooth(brain abscess, ludwig's angina) are uncommon and death is rare.

A periodontal abscess is more likely and very unpleasant after the death of the pulp. Best of luck.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
(male)

sungam HB User

Thanks Moses and I feel your political standing.
Just hate being nervous about dyign from a damned tooth!
Hopefully I wil get this taken care of Monday.
Called and told them I need the address for their Corporate office to write a letter and they told me I would be the first seen on Monday to come on in.
Bleeding constantly from the tooth gets nausiating throughout the day

Last edited by sungam; 04-25-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #14
(male)

sungam HB User

So I am on my 5th round of antibiotic treatment had to go to my PC, becuase the dentist that does the extractions is out of town. Hole in my tooth has turned black and my muscles around neck and jaw ache, the sternomastoid (SP). Hope I dont get Septic before I get this darn thing pulled!

Last edited by sungam; 05-21-2008 at 01:45 PM.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:21 AM   #15
(male)

nobody067 HB User

i have an abscess in my lower left molar and i felt horrible pain for a day and that was it. it ocasionally flairs up,but the pain is bareable. the tooth was partially broken in April of '06 and i had the abscess during February of '07,and it's still there,but it does not bleed or hurt that bad. for me,it's not financial but i am very scared of blood and i know that i am never gonna go to the dentist,because if a tooth is pulled,you bleed like hell and i pass out when i see blood. i think you have a worse problem than mine with your molar since it's bleeding and painful. if you can handle the blood,go ahead and get it out ASAP.

Closed Thread