It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
(female)

jillian1219 HB User
root canal on tuesday

Two weeks ago I had a cavity filled - tooth next to front tooth. I never had any pain in the tooth - had no idea I had a cavity. within a few days anything hot or cold was unbearable. then last week the pain started - throbbing and i couldnot touch the tooth. I went back to my dentist and she told me "the tooth is dying" " you need a root canal" sent me home I am on antibiotics - my mouth is swollen. Is it possible she went too deep and damaged the nerve? I just think its odd I went in with no pain and now within days I am having a root canal.....any thoughts on this?

Old 01-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
(female)

dabner HB User
Re: root canal on tuesday

NOT ODD AT ALL. Whenever you have any work done on a tooth, it goes through a normal inflamatory respone as a part of the healing process. Your teeth are alive. It is likely that the decay was very deep and close to the nerve and the inflamatory respone was more than the tooth could tolerate. Even if she had done nothing to the tooth, you would have eventually ended up with an abcess once the decay got a little deeper. It was worth a shot to try to fill it. now you just need to know is this reversible or irreversible. Since you are having hot and cold sensitivity, likely irreversible and will need a root canal. Remember, you don't feel pain with "just a cavity" by the time you feel pain, you'll need a root canal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
(female)

jillian1219 HB User

thank you for the info - I did have a root canal - it was a week ago when I wrote that - a week of pain and hell....but I am on the other side now - hopefully wont have to have another one !! thanks again

Last edited by Administrator; 01-30-2008 at 12:27 AM.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
(male)

willybrown HB User

Not that it matters now- but depending on the depth and size of the cavity, you should have been informed that the nerve may be affected sooner or later and that root canal treatment is a possibility. Even then, if the preparation was not nearly as deep, the nerve could die off slowly and you may not know it for months or years.
If you were informed before it actually caused symptoms, and before you went through this unfortunate experience you might feel more comfortable with the whole thing.
Sometimes, if a cavity preparation is very near the nerve it is adviseable to provide the root canal treatment as a preventative measure. If this either of these two scenarios were done you might feel better about dentistry in general. This is how dentistry gets a bad rep.... And patients suffer needlessly.
It is hard to say for sure what may have occurred unless a person was the one who actually treated the tooth and knows about other things beside that tooth prep. But yes, every time a tooth is cut in to it does not like it. Inflamatory processes are activated. It is an individual thing, depending on the patient, etcetera, that is hard to predict for sure. We only know the possibilities.
Sorry to hear that you had such a long time dealing with pain. Tooth related pain can be one of the most difficult and intense types to live with..

Good luck to you.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
(female)

jillian1219 HB User

thank you Willy for the reply - this was the first time I had posted on the site - since the post I had the root canal - still not completed but i am getting there. when they did the root canal my face was swollen and I felt the whole procedure. It was hell and I am so glad its over with - still have to have a post put in - gonna wait a month because I still have some discomfort with the tooth. thank you for your reply

all the best

Jillian

Closed Thread