It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
(female)

summerblue HB User
shaping a tooth on a bridge?

ok, I will try and make this short. I had a bridge for 10 years but my teeth changed color and it didn't match any more. My dentist took the old bridge out and we went through getting a new bridge made. I told him that the last tooth felt too round compared to my other teeth so could he make the new teeth more like my own. He said yes and the day came to put the new tooth in, the color matched pretty good and I was sent on my way.
After I got home and as the evening went on, the 2 new teeth were almost exactly as before!, It feels so bad rubbing on my upper lip and I feel like I look like a snaggle tooth, compared to my other teeth. My question is can he sort of smooth those 2 teeth down?
I really don't want to go through all the discomfort of him pulling out the new bridge. Can't he just shape it alittle with the tools he has without taking off much of the veneer? Please if anyone knows let me know. I would like to find out here before I ask him, just to know if others have had anything like this happen. Thanks alot!

Last edited by summerblue; 01-06-2008 at 02:02 PM. Reason: change the subject line

Old 01-06-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: shaping a tooth on a bridge?

Yes he can adjust them and then repolish them so they will feel smooth again - since filing them down roughens the surface. Some labs do apply or use a protecting seal or top coat depending on the type of material used in the bridge so the area he adjusts may be more likely to stain or look dull but still better than allowing something to irritate your mouth. Definitely return to the dentist who did them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
(female)

summerblue HB User

Thank You so much for your reply! I was so afraid that that couldn't be done. I have only had the new bridge less than a week, but it feels just awful. I know I want to have them shaped alittle better. It is more one tooth that needs it , the other a little less. I am going to wait until next week then stop in and talk with the dentist and set up an appointment. I know if I went in now he would say give it time, but I just don't like how it feels on my lip. next week will be 2 weeks, I think that is enough time to wait, Thanks again Thelma-Louise.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I have had my dentist smooth out or adjust the shape or length of a crown before. I would think this would be no different. Hope it all is straightenend out for you soon.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
(female)

summerblue HB User

I made an appointment for next week. the girl I spoke with on the phone said, I don't know if he will be able to do that, there is not much enamel so he won't be able to do much. Argh! I am hoping when I see the dentist he can just take some of the bulk off at least the one tooth. I am going to tell him what I read here and see what he says. And, if he won't do this I just might find a dentist who will help. Thanks for the replys. summerblue

Closed Thread