It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
(female)

skip_to_my_lou HB User
Pain after cavity being filled

I had a small cavity filled on the very last left molar on the bottom last week. It was chalky looking according to the dentist and she wanted to take care of it right away. The cavity has never bothered me or hurt which is why I was surprised to find out I had one. It's my first one in my 30 years of life.

The dentist gave me 2 shots of novacaine, and I could still feel the pain while she drilled. At that point, I just wanted it over and put up with it. When she put the composite filling in, I jumped from some pain. She said, "That didn't hurt did it?" She sounded surprised. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to have pain or not. Anyway, I was sent on my merry way once all was said and done.

Throughout the weekend, I couldn't bite down or chew. The filling felt too high, so I had it taken down on Monday. I don't have to chew so gingerly and and I can close my mouth normally. The problem is that I still can't chew or clench my teeth (not that I should) on the left side. I still get pain from chewing on that side which I avoid now. The pain just radiates into my jaw when I do. I asked the dentist on monday if it's normal to feel pain and assured me that it should go away in 10-14 days. Since I get pain from actually doing things to the tooth and not spontaneously, that's a good sign according to the dentist. In talking to my mom (whose had many cavities in her lifetime), told me that doesn't sound right. I'm not sure what to think. I

Is this pain normal and will it ever go away? I have images of having a root canal which doesn't thrill me. I was never nuts about going to the dentist, but never went out of my way to avoid going. Now I'm kind of fearful of the dentist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 11:20 PM   #2
(female)

Niclolu HB User
Re: Pain after cavity being filled

Is your filling fairly large? That has happened to me and my dentist said that the filling is so large that it rests on or is close to the root. That will cause pain and sensitivity to temperature. The solution, unfortunately is a root canal. That is not a fun procedure but once you get through it, you will not have the pain anymore.

The fact that the tooth was too high is a red flag that the dentist is certainly not the best in his or her field. If all you had was a filling, you should not require 10-14 days to heal. That is ludicrous.

I would get a second opinion. Something is not right here.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #3
(female)

skip_to_my_lou HB User

That's not comforting to hear. My jaw hurts so much that I had to make an appointment for tomorrow. I don't know if it's related to the tooth or TMJD problems that flair up once in a while. I want to get to the bottom of this. The place I go to has several dentists on staff, so made sure I got someone else. I wish I could go to the one I went to growing up, but he retired a few years ago, and I moved. I'm frustrated because over a week ago, my teeth were fine and I had no pain until this cavity was filled. I figured the dentist who did this would know what she's doing since she's been practicing for many years.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
(female)

Niclolu HB User

You can tell the difference I would think. I also have TMJ and when it flares up, I have headaches and a sore neck. I feel it in my jaw and ears. If it is one of your back teeth then having to prop your jaw open for so long will cause your jaw to ache. Make sure your jaw was not displaced by the pressure of them stretching your mouth open. That was how I developed TMJ when they removed my wisdom teeth.

If it is the tooth, it is sensitive to cold (especially fluids) and it hurts to put pressure on it. If your dentist had to drill deep, you will have a toothache.

I had the same problems to - no sensitivity or pain until the tooth was worked on. Don't let this go too long. Just get it over with. Some dentists are very gentle.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
(female)

skip_to_my_lou HB User

The saga continues. Friday I went in. My regular dentist saw me this time. She adjusted the filling and I was able to bite together much better. Unfortunately I had pain throughout the weekend. I couldn't go in this Monday because I had a meeting out of town. The pain seemed to subside, but maybe because I was taking naproxen and ibuprofen at different intervals.

Today, I had the most unbearable pain during the interdisciplinary team meeting at work. I called the dentist office during a break and scheduled an appointment for this afternoon. My dentist took a look at the x-ray and explained to me that the way the nerve sits in my molar is higher than the other side. The side that the filling is where the nerve is higher. She was going to try a mini root canal. She was wonderful. She told me if I felt any pain to not hesitate to stop and she'd numb me again. After 3 shots of novocaine, I was still feeling the pain. She didn't want to go any further since the nerve is so inflamed. She put medicine where she drilled, filled it, prescribed antibiotics and pain meds, and is having me come back in a week to do part of a root canal. I feel very nervous about having a root canal, but at the same time welcome any relief I can get. I'm tired of having pain. I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited by skip_to_my_lou; 01-30-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
(female)

lynn117 HB User

i have never heard of having half a root canal?

Old 02-08-2008, 03:26 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip_to_my_lou View Post
The saga continues. Friday I went in. My regular dentist saw me this time. She adjusted the filling and I was able to bite together much better. Unfortunately I had pain throughout the weekend. I couldn't go in this Monday because I had a meeting out of town. The pain seemed to subside, but maybe because I was taking naproxen and ibuprofen at different intervals.

Today, I had the most unbearable pain during the interdisciplinary team meeting at work. I called the dentist office during a break and scheduled an appointment for this afternoon. My dentist took a look at the x-ray and explained to me that the way the nerve sits in my molar is higher than the other side. The side that the filling is where the nerve is higher. She was going to try a mini root canal. She was wonderful. She told me if I felt any pain to not hesitate to stop and she'd numb me again. After 3 shots of novocaine, I was still feeling the pain. She didn't want to go any further since the nerve is so inflamed. She put medicine where she drilled, filled it, prescribed antibiotics and pain meds, and is having me come back in a week to do part of a root canal. I feel very nervous about having a root canal, but at the same time welcome any relief I can get. I'm tired of having pain. I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel.
you shouldnt be in any pain while she was doing root canal>,she hadnt numbed you up properly in that case
and if your still in pain ,and she hasnt taken all the nerve out thats why your still ,experienceing pain

i am in same boat a dentist i had previous hadnt took out all the nerve and thats why i am in pain here and there as the nerve is still there

she has to take the whole nerve out

Old 02-08-2008, 04:44 AM   #8
(female)

skip_to_my_lou HB User

You misunderstood, I misunderstood. She described it as a "mini root canal". I'm not sure how to explain it as I was kind of in a fog that day. She was going to do an emergency palliative procedure basically and then do the full root canal another day. In that case, we never got that far.

I had the root canal 2 days ago. I'm still kind of sore and tender, but otherwise okay. I'm able to consume cold beverages with no problem now. I still felt some pain with 3 shots of novocaine in various places around the tooth during the drilling. At that point, I wanted this done and over with. Once she got to the canals, I could still feel the pain (nerve was still alive) in one of the spots. So she numbed in the tooth and I had no pain after that. I'm hoping this continues to heal and be on my way to recovery. I think the worst part of it was the gagging on the little camera when x-rays were taken.

My dentist called and checked up on me before and after the root canal which I appreciate.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:32 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip_to_my_lou View Post
You misunderstood, I misunderstood. She described it as a "mini root canal". I'm not sure how to explain it as I was kind of in a fog that day. She was going to do an emergency palliative procedure basically and then do the full root canal another day. In that case, we never got that far.

I had the root canal 2 days ago. I'm still kind of sore and tender, but otherwise okay. I'm able to consume cold beverages with no problem now. I still felt some pain with 3 shots of novocaine in various places around the tooth during the drilling. At that point, I wanted this done and over with. Once she got to the canals, I could still feel the pain (nerve was still alive) in one of the spots. So she numbed in the tooth and I had no pain after that. I'm hoping this continues to heal and be on my way to recovery. I think the worst part of it was the gagging on the little camera when x-rays were taken.

My dentist called and checked up on me before and after the root canal which I appreciate.
ah ,well yes you will be sore for a few days afterwards just take some painkillers ,the soreness will go after that
god knows when mine get sorted out,as my dentist messed up my referral to hospital ,and thats what they said not all ,my nerves beent aken out ,and because of red tape i have to get another referal from dentist
and hospital only just sent my report ,so i got to wait at least 3 days for that ,then i got to send it to my dentist ,but he is on holiday for another week yet

then got to wait til the hospital sends for me again ,so i got to put up with it for god knows how long ,as the nerve is under my gum now as the tooth was extracted in end but not all the nerve was taken out

Closed Thread