It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Unhappy temporary crown fell off this morning

Hi everyone: Yesterday, I was in the dentist's chair for 2 hrs. while he drilled away the old gold crown on my lower left molar and built the tooth up. I thought he'd never be done drilling. Several times he placed a block in the right side of my mouth to hold it open wider. That was very uncomfortable and he had to remove it several times when I couldn't stand it in for so long. His assistant placed a termporary crown on that tooth and I finally got to leave. This morning I was using my Hydrofloss and the temporary flew into the sink. I guess I shouldn't have used the Hydrofloss or have used it on a high speed. At first I didn't know what happened, but luckily I figured out what happened and retrieved the temp. before calling the dentist's office. They squeezed me in and the dental assistant used a stronger cement this time. Will that involve more drilling at my appt. to put the permanant crown on? I guess I'd better not use the Hydrofloss on that tooth. I can't wait til the permanant one is on, so I don't have to worry about it. Has anyone else had this happen and if so, were you able to use a Hydrofloss or Waterpik? Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
(female)

mop HB User
Unhappy Re: temporary crown fell off this morning

Hi there,
I just had a temporary crown put on too, I cracked the first temp. (ate something hard, I know, stupid, huh?) As far as I know, the drilling is over. In two weeks, when I go back, they take the temporary crown off, and put the permanent one on.
Good luck! I have never had trouble with my teeth, and then, all of a sudden, oh no!
Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
(female)

Mora HB User
Re: temporary crown fell off this morning

Hi,
Of course floss, but not aggressively around the tooth with the temp crown on it. It is placed with temporary cement for ease of removing prior to placing the permanent but given the chance it can crack apart or just come off of the remaining tooth completely. Stay away from eating anything very sticky ie: caramel, taffy, butterscotch or peanut butter and or flossing aggressively. The permanent will be here in no time!

Old 02-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi mop:

I had to go back to the dds. to get more molds made b/c the one they sent in wasn't right. So, I was in the chair for a long time again. If things hadn't gotten screwed up, I would have had my permanant one on as of last week. Now, I have to wait til March 4th to have the crown seated, followed by my teeth cleaning. I've been chewing on the other side and the DDS told me not to floss around that tooth. I guess it's harder to do my molar b/c it's the last one. I can't wait til this fiasco is overwith. I've had constant Dr. and DDS appts. since Jan. plus labwork. I need a break!!!!! Calgon take me away!! LOL.

Hi mop: I live in So. Ca. too. Good luck with your crown and I hope neither one of us needs another one done anytime soon.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #5
(female)

charlottefr HB User

Hi everyone...I have no experience with crowns on my teeth as I've had none so I can't offer any suggestions...I guess I'm from the 'old school' of dental care. Anyway, I'm wondering what the advantages are of having a crown as opposed to a filling? Years ago (10 maybe?) I broke a huge chunk from one of my bottom molars when eating something. Only half of my tooth remained. I was very upset about it and went to the dentist...my first question was "should I get my teeth out and get dentures??" He told me not to be silly and said that if I continued to take care of my teeth I should have them until I'm 80! He proceeded to reconstruct a new 'tooth' with filling (silver?) and I have honestly had no problem with that tooth since. I guess my question is why is a crown better than a filling? TIA

Old 02-16-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi: I think in my case I needed a crown b/c I grind and clench on it and need something stronger than a filling. I also looked in the mirror one day and saw that a big piece of my molar was missing. So, he had to built up that tooth and then go from there. And, maybe my DDS just wanted to make more money off of me. I feel like I've financed several of his vacations already b/c I had treatment for TMJ with him, followed by braces and now this. lol.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
(female)

charlottefr HB User

Hi sunshine..lol..yes, I called my oral surgeon's office yesterday to try to make a followup appointment and he is off on holidays for a few weeks My surgery was covered by my insurance, thank goodness, and cost "only" 26 euros (I just got the bill yesterday for the procedure, hospital stay, etc)...my SO reminded me, however, that I'm paying 116 euros a month for insurance..haha. He sure burst my bubble..haha.

From what I've been reading here, permanent crowns can break and must be replaced...this filling of mine has stayed where it is and amazingly hasn't caused any problems since I got it. I know a crown probably looks better than a bunch of molars filled with silver..but I wonder if it is really better in the long run?

Last edited by charlottefr; 02-16-2008 at 09:12 PM.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't know. The gold crown that was replaced had been there for many years. So, I guess the DDS figured he'd do another crown b/c it would last longer. I'm glad yours is OK.

Closed Thread