It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
(female)

revakvi HB User
Unhappy Wisdom teeth removal, jaw fracture, numbness

Jan. 10 had 3 wisdom teeth extracted; 1 was impacted and sideways buried in jaw area. Consequently jaw was fractured during cutting out of tooth. Jaw was wired shut...wires broke twice in two weeks....new wires but no new xrays until 3 weeks after initial surgery....Jaw discovered to not be healing right, so new tighter wires and bands put in to keep jaw in place...It's now been 4 weeks ---hopefully jaw will heal....More concern is NUMBNESS and puffiness in the cheek and lower lip area above the jaw fracture....Anyone have this? Will the numbness ever go away? Oral surgeon stated it didn't sound good that the numbness didn't go away - possible it may be permanent. A 2nd oral & maxillofacial surgeon thought the nerve (if severed) could regenerate and numbness could go away after several months...I don't know anyone whose had these problems so am looking for any stories (good or bad)

Old 02-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
(female)

charlottefr HB User
Re: Wisdom teeth removal, jaw fracture, numbness

Quote:
Originally Posted by revakvi View Post
Jan. 10 had 3 wisdom teeth extracted; 1 was impacted and sideways buried in jaw area. Consequently jaw was fractured during cutting out of tooth. Jaw was wired shut...wires broke twice in two weeks....new wires but no new xrays until 3 weeks after initial surgery....Jaw discovered to not be healing right, so new tighter wires and bands put in to keep jaw in place...It's now been 4 weeks ---hopefully jaw will heal....More concern is NUMBNESS and puffiness in the cheek and lower lip area above the jaw fracture....Anyone have this? Will the numbness ever go away? Oral surgeon stated it didn't sound good that the numbness didn't go away - possible it may be permanent. A 2nd oral & maxillofacial surgeon thought the nerve (if severed) could regenerate and numbness could go away after several months...I don't know anyone whose had these problems so am looking for any stories (good or bad)
hi revakvi...I'm so sorry to read about your jaw fracture...I can't imagine going through this and having to deal with jaw wires, etc

I had one wisdom tooth removed on January 11 this year..and I have numbness as a result in my lower left chin and gum, which is, quite frankly, driving me a bit crazy and I am feeling pretty sorry for myself, I have to admit. No doctor/dentist/oral surgeon will (or can?) say definitively how long my numbness will last. They tell me I have to be patient..a nerve was damaged during the procedure and I have to give the nerve time to heal. They tell me it could take 3 to 6 months...or there is a possibility that the loss of sensation will be permanent.

I'll never forget the look on my dental surgeon's face when he came to see me the next day and I told him that my face and gum was still numb. His eyes widened and I could tell he was thinking "OH OH"...and then he proceeded to inform me that he had touched the nerve during the operation.

I haven't yet found or read any posts from people who have regained sensation. I'm hoping that they have regained it and, for that reason, don't feel the need to post anymore! On another forum, one woman said that she had been numb for 3 years...the oral surgeon replied that after two years it's unlikely that sensation would be returning.

I guess we have to remember that we've just been recuperating for one month...hopefully by this time next month both of us will have regained some feeling Bon courage and keep posting, ok?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I am not sure this will will apply but I developed a numb and tingly lip and chin after my chin was surgically repositioned as a result of braces. The surgeon told me it could last up to a year or more before the nerves would fully regenerate so I put up with it for a couple months but it started driving me crazy so one day I rubbed both my lips and chin really hard with a wet wash cloth - as if trying to rub the numbness off my lips and chin and found that the whole area responded by tingling even more - so I kept doing this once or twice a day and within a month to six weeks it just faded away although it would return occasionally and I would start rubbing it again - it finally just went away for good. The dr said it was either due to the nerves healing on their own or that rubbing it so intensely stimulated the blood supply and surrounding tissue which helped the nerves regenerate as well. All I know is that the vigorous rubbing made the area feel better and that's all I wanted.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
(female)

charlottefr HB User

Hi thelma-louise...well, your post has made my day...thank you Just yesterday I was wondering if there was anything that could be done to stimulate the nerve to 'get at it' a bit quicker! It does wonders for my morale to read that you regained sensation..I'm so happy for you!

Maybe we don't have the same nerve damage or for the same reason, but it sure seems to be the same principle! I can totally relate to you wanting to 'rub off the numbness'...frankly, I'm getting tired (angry and super frustrated) with this feeling and with having to 'baby' this area of my face. Yesterday, I got my hair cut short because everytime my shoulder length hair would touch my lip or chin, it would send shoots of tingles again through there.

Anyway, I'm going to try the 'massages'...I'll start slowly at first and gradually increase the amount of time and pressure each day.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Oh I know exactly what you are feeling - I used to feel like there was a thread or strand of hair across my lip and chin - I was constantly looking in the mirror and wiping my chin and lips - especially when eating or drinking - it would feel like I was drooling or something was dribbling down my chin - quite annoying b/c all other people see you do is fussing about something they can not see or feel. I was pretty agressive and would end up with a bright red spot on my chin and my lips looked "polished" so I found doing it at night was better since the redness would subside by morning. Good luck - I hope it helps you as much as it did for me.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
(female)

charlottefr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise View Post
Oh I know exactly what you are feeling - I used to feel like there was a thread or strand of hair across my lip and chin - I was constantly looking in the mirror and wiping my chin and lips - especially when eating or drinking - it would feel like I was drooling or something was dribbling down my chin - quite annoying b/c all other people see you do is fussing about something they can not see or feel. I was pretty agressive and would end up with a bright red spot on my chin and my lips looked "polished" so I found doing it at night was better since the redness would subside by morning. Good luck - I hope it helps you as much as it did for me.
Well, this has certainly been a very helpful hint that you've given and I want to thank you again. I massaged my chin and cheek a few times during the day and did 'mouthercises' as well...i.e. moving my lips around in various strange ways.

This morning my chin is definitely less 'tingly' and feels more 'tough' if you know what I mean! I can touch it without feeling intense electric 'shocks' of tingles going through it. Even the inside of my mouth along my bottom gum doesn't seem as tight and 'filled up'...I am alot more comfortable.

I'm constantly wiping my face with a serviette when I eat because I'm worried that I have something there but can't feel it! I have to cut my food into tiny pieces (I still can't fully open my jaw) and I try to chew on the side where the teeth are "frozen" from time to time so that they don't get too 'lazy'...but I usually end up accidentally chewing on the inside of my cheek or lip..grrr. Plus I can't feel those teeth so it feels really wierd to chew with them...and brushing and flossing teeth that you can't feel is a challenge too.

It is really hard to explain to people what this feels like...because to look at me I have nothing wrong with my mouth. I have learned to speak fairly normally but it takes an effort.

Last edited by charlottefr; 03-18-2008 at 09:34 AM.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
(female)

revakvi HB User
Thumbs up Re: Wisdom teeth removal, jaw fracture, numbness

Thank you all for the responses... my first time doing this type of thing with threads, etc...so I had to read things twice, up, down and around. But I like the idea of stimulating the cheek, lower lip area, wherever the "nerve" endings and blood supply is to get things moving. It's hard to think that this could be permanent, but other people go through strokes and other things that they didn't ask for and have permanent disabilities too....If this is the worst thing that happens, I'll live with it...cold washcloth, huh? I'm starting tonight.

Last edited by revakvi; 02-27-2008 at 09:39 AM.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:30 PM   #8
(female)

charlottefr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by revakvi View Post
Thank you all for the responses... my first time doing this type of thing with threads, etc...so I had to read things twice, up, down and around. But I like the idea of stimulating the cheek, lower lip area, wherever the "nerve" endings and blood supply is to get things moving. It's hard to think that this could be permanent, but other people go through strokes and other things that they didn't ask for and have permanent disabilities too....If this is the worst thing that happens, I'll live with it...cold washcloth, huh? I'm starting tonight.
hi revakvi I'm so glad you're 'here'...and I'm really glad that you started this thread!

Thelma's suggestion to stimulate the area through massage/rubbing has worked for me...and I'm continuing to notice a difference.

It's strange how dental problems can be such a 'roller coaster ride'. Yesterday morning I was feeling great...chin, etc was less sensitive to touch and then during the day I started sneezing et voila...I now have a cold..grrrr.

I could be wrong, but I think there's a difference between a stroke and this numbness that we're experiencing. A stroke involves loss of muscle control..while parasthesia involves loss of sensation. That is, we still have control of our muscles in our face...but, on the other hand, we have this regeneration of the nerve going on that causes all these wierd sensory 'sensations'??? lol..I am not good at medical talk as you can see.

Anyway, I was doing some more research on this again last night, and read about one woman who had nerve damage from a wisdom tooth being removed on Feb l7/07. She said that she regained 90% of the feeling in her gum/chin by May 2007. So...it took three months for her. There is hope

Old 02-12-2008, 12:14 AM   #9
(female)

charlottefr HB User
¨Vitamin B 12

I just read that some people experiencing numbness after wisdom tooth extraction began taking a daily supplement of Vitamin B 12, sublingual. This vitamin is apparently beneficial for keeping nerves healthy and seems to be particularly recommended for people over 50 to avoid Vitamin B12 deficiency. I think I might try this? I did some quick research and I don't think it would hurt to try it. What do you think?

Old 02-12-2008, 08:30 AM   #10
(female)

lizasarah HB User

Hey Charlotte, I'm really glad I just found this forum. I had my wisdom teeth out 5 days ago and from what you are describing I have the exact same thing happening. I have numbness of the lower lip and chin and i am still unable to open my mouth fully. I have been really scared and upset the last few days so seeing that other people are going through the same thing is really helpful.
I did read about the B12 thing yesterday too, i think its mostly in meats and eggs and things which is annoying since i haven't been able to properly eat any in a few days, but i was thinking about ground beef or turkey as a possibility. Any other advice you can give me? I am going to see the oral surgeon who did this to me today, hopefully i will refrain from punching

Old 02-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #11
(female)

charlottefr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizasarah View Post
Hey Charlotte, I'm really glad I just found this forum. I had my wisdom teeth out 5 days ago and from what you are describing I have the exact same thing happening. I have numbness of the lower lip and chin and i am still unable to open my mouth fully. I have been really scared and upset the last few days so seeing that other people are going through the same thing is really helpful.
I did read about the B12 thing yesterday too, i think its mostly in meats and eggs and things which is annoying since i haven't been able to properly eat any in a few days, but i was thinking about ground beef or turkey as a possibility. Any other advice you can give me? I am going to see the oral surgeon who did this to me today, hopefully i will refrain from punching
lol...Hi liz...I'm glad you found this forum too And, yes, I've felt like 'punching' a few times too...haha. I'm taking out my frustration right now in the garden....attacking weeds!

As soon as I got home from the hospital after my operation, I started searching for information and answers on the internet because I really got none from the doctors and nurses there except for "take these drugs and be patient...you will be numb for weeks or months..and you can take the ice pack with you".

I remember asking my oral surgeon if I should come to see him for a followup visit..and he told me if I wanted to I could come back in three months. I told him I would make an appointment to see him in TWO months. I really got the feeling he didn't want to see or hear from me again...esp. after hearing that I was numb in my face!

I totally understand how you feel...upset and scared. I felt really alone, too, as no one seemed to understand what I was experiencing (my 'significant other' especially). Finding this forum has been a blessing..absolutely. I check it as often as I check my shopping websites

Can you describe more your situation? How many teeth did you have out? What are you experiencing now...e.g. do you have pain, tingles, swelling, etc? Are you on antibiotics? Did you have general anaesthetic or local?

Just remember it does get better...still annoying as 'heck' but better

Old 02-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #12
(female)

lizasarah HB User

I had all three wisdom teeth out because apparently I didn't have one on my upper left side (jokingly i said it was because i was more evolved!), it was with IV anethesia and local anethesia as well. They mentioned to my mom they had to give me more because they thought i could feel some of it during surgery although i don't really remember that obviously. They had given me amoxicillan a few days before surgery because the reason i was getting them out so late in my life (i'm 27) was due to an infection in one of the lower wisdom teeth. I'm still taking that for a few more days.
I was numb and hopped up on hydrocodone for the first few days and then on sunday when i was still numb i decided to call the emergency line at the dr office to see what they said and some other dr answered and told me it would be a few months or forever and thats when i decided to freak out and cry for a few hours. and then i started researching.
for being numb, it seems i have a lot of feelings going on in my lip and chin area, none good. its mostly tightness and feeling like my lip is swollen (which may be true I am not sure since i have no sense if this is just parasthesia or not). then some tingling, sometimes burning sensations and also twitching. if i don't move it for a while it feels like it is frozen a little? the worst is definitely that i feel uncomfortable smiling. so i can't even fake that i am not upset about this.... also, maybe weird question, but you mentioned significant other, does kissing ever feel better? because right now its like my least favorite thing in the world.
does this sound familiar? hahah
also - f

Last edited by moderator2; 02-12-2008 at 03:54 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 02-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
(female)

charlottefr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizasarah View Post
I had all three wisdom teeth out because apparently I didn't have one on my upper left side (jokingly i said it was because i was more evolved!), it was with IV anethesia and local anethesia as well. They mentioned to my mom they had to give me more because they thought i could feel some of it during surgery although i don't really remember that obviously. They had given me amoxicillan a few days before surgery because the reason i was getting them out so late in my life (i'm 27) was due to an infection in one of the lower wisdom teeth. I'm still taking that for a few more days.......
wow...quite the story! I'm exactly twice your age so you are definitely not late getting your wisdom teeth out. I loved your 'more evolved' comment...it's really important to have a sense of humour about this...some parts of this situation we're in can be pretty darn funny.

So it sounds like we had our wisdom tooth extractions for the same reason...infection had set in in one tooth. Were you advised to have the other two taken out as a precautionary thing? I still have three more wisdom teeth which are not impacted, phew, and believe me, they are staying where they are.

I felt so badly for you when you described your call to emergency...sigh. I have met no medical person yet who even hints at having any empathy or compassion regarding this problem....and if one more doctor tells me "It's normal...just be patient" I might flip and not be 'the good patient' anymore. French (my second language) will probably come flowing effortlessly out of my frozen mouth then...haha.

The feelings you described are exactly what I am feeling...the tightness is worse in the mornings when I wake up or when I'm tired or after I've talked alot (I'm a teacher so I have to talk alot). I still take anti-inflammatoires from time to time when it gets really bad. I also have one tooth in front that feels like it's being squeezed sometimes...I call it 'tooth tightness' for lack of a more medical term The burning sensations in my lip have just started in the last week...I thought I had dry lips but even after applying lip stuff religiously, the feeling is still there..grr. I do believe that the tingling sensations in my lip and chin are a good thing...it means that the nerve is working at regenerating itself. But, on the other hand, it can be really, really annoying to have that movement 'inside' all the time. (Oh, my lip just tingled as I typed that..hahahah) btw, is your lip numb just on one side or on both sides?

ahhhhh kissing...good question My poor SO. My nerves (emotional) are so 'on a thin line' because of this numbness, pain, etc that I have no patience at all with him....sigh. Here in France, of course we have to do the 'bisous' thing (kiss each cheek when greeting)...and I cringe everytime someone lunges in to give me a bisous...and want to yell "Be careful...watch out for the cheeeeeek". So anyway, to answer your question, my SO and I haven't kissed outside of a peck on the right side of my face about 2 weeks ago Honestly, I just don't feel that attractive right now...and I guess I'm maybe scared to find out what exactly kissing would be like with this numbness.

sorry this is so long...but you said alot in your post that I wanted to reply to Say hi to your mom for me...so glad she's there for you!

Old 02-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #14
(female)

charlottefr HB User

Hi liz...just thinking about you...how are you feeling today? A little better, I hope!

Old 02-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #15
(female)

revakvi HB User

Hello, I've been appreciating the information and suggestions of the threads....vitamin B12, massaging the stupid &*%!@ numb jaw and lip, be patient and look for help from sources other than the dental community! After 5 weeks with my jaw wired shut (after Jan. 10 wisdom tooth debacle and jaw fracture) I am feeling great, and I've lost 21 pounds...liquid diet. Today my oral surgeon told me I'll be keeping the wires and rubber bands on my teeth at least 3-4 more weeks to make sure the jaw is good and healed. This is because at week 3 an xray found the fracture had strayed apart and wasn't in line to heal so we started over....Now my question to him today was, "How do we know that after two weeks the jaw is still in the right place for healing, especially since my jaw and teeth have been able to move around as the wires loosen?" He said it should be fine since the movement was limited......I asked if he could please take an xray next week to make sure and he said, "We'll see." I don't want to go another 3-4 weeks to find out my jaw didn't heal and start over again.....
WOW - I'm really not bitter about things - I just like to be in control of things and this is something I have to give up control of somewhat...but I can still make the oral surgeon give me an xray so I can make sure I'm on a liquid diet for a good reason...... For all of you out there, I don't have any advice on what works yet....I'm still experimenting and having wires compounds things. I thought maybe the wires or the novocaine was just reacting with my lips and jaw and everything ...I naively thought that once the wires were out the feeling would return to those areas....Oh, well, aside from asking the American Dental Association to look into studying the frequency of nerve damage in wisdom tooth extractions for a fun study, I don't have anymore to say for now...Take care all of you out there.

Closed Thread