It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
(female)

soccermom128 HB User
abcess in front upper tooth

After several weeks of pain in my top teeth, I went to the dentist today. He did an x-ray and said it looks like an abcess and referred me to an endodontist. My dentist said I most likely had some sort of trauma (as long as 15 years ago!) that may have caused it because my teeth are very healthy.

Anyway, after researching about abcesses when I got home, I found a lot of information about possible brain infection from untreated abcesses in the upper teeth, especially in the front. This has been going on for several weeks now, possibly over a month because it started out pretty mild. So now I'm panicking because I'm unable to see the endodontist for a couple of days.

Am I over reacting or is this something that is a real possibility? I've never had any experience with dental problems before, so I don't know what's normal.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
(female)

charlottefr HB User
Re: abcess in front upper tooth

hi soccermom...I'm not sure but I think if left untreated for an extended amount of time..like several months or years.. then an infection could possibly spread?

I'm really glad that you were able to get an appointment so quickly to see the endodontist.

If you're worried about this and it's causing you stress, I'm sure it's ok to make a quick call to your dentist and ask if there's any danger of infection spreading. Did he mention or prescribe antibiotics for you?

ps: I used to be a soccermom..I loved it.

Last edited by charlottefr; 02-11-2008 at 10:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
(female)

soccermom128 HB User

Thanks for your reply charlotte. I did end up going to the endodontist yesterday morning. I was concerned because my dentist had not prescribed antibiotics and the pain continued to get worse. The endodontist keeps "emergency" appointments open daily, so I was able to get in.

I ended up having a root canal (first one, not a fun experience!). The Dr. said it was very infected and opted to leave the hole in my tooth open for a few days, put me on antibiotics and have me return on Friday for the remainder of the "clean out". Yuck!!!! I was so disgusted. I'm still surprised that this even happened because I don't remember having any sort of injury to my mouth.

Anyway, the pain is gone. I just have this very wierd feeling with this hole in the back of my front tooth and I'm a bit nervous about it breaking now.

PS. I love being a soccermom too

Old 02-13-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
(female)

charlottefr HB User

Oh, that's great news, sm...well, not that you had to have a root canal but because your pain has gone I bet you feel pretty relieved! I'm learning so much about root canals by reading on this forum..so on Friday your tooth will be cleaned out some more and then what happens? Is the hole filled with something? TIA

Old 02-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
(female)

soccermom128 HB User

I've learned a lot about root canals these last few days too...more than I care to know! From what I understand, the purpose of waiting a couple days between appointments is to give the antibiotics time to work and let the abscess drain . When I go back on Friday, he will take another x-ray to make sure everything looks good before he fills the hole and also clean it out really well.

I think the worst thing about it was that I "heard" the whole procedure. I was actually expecting to get headphones with music because the last dentist I went to was really into making you comfortable in the dental chair. He had a tv screen mounted on the ceiling and you could choose a movie, watch tv or listen to music with these nice headphones on and not hear anything regarding what was going on with your teeth. How silly of me to assume that this particular Dr. would have the same thing and I went without my I-pod! The sound of dental instruments "working" in my mouth is worse than the pain for me!

Old 02-14-2008, 01:26 AM   #6
(female)

charlottefr HB User

Let's keep our fingers crossed that your Friday appointment will go well and you'll be done with this

Yeh, watching Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt on an overhead tv screen sounds like a great idea and a very nice distraction

Old 02-19-2008, 02:36 PM   #7
(female)

caseyj2008 HB User

Soccermom,

I'm really glad that you got this checked out and took it seriously. I just had a friend pass away last week (on Valentine's Day) due to an abcessed tooth. It did not affect his brain, but it caused a blood clot to go to his heart and caused a massive heart attack...he was 25 years old. I'm not sure how long his had been like that, but he died in his sleep and the autopsy showed that it was a massive heart attack due to a blood clot, caused by an abcessed tooth.

Closed Thread