It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
(female)

Katiesmom123 HB User
Haven't been to the dentist in 5 years....please help

This is my first post to this particular board. I am embarassed to admit this, but I have not been to the dentist in 5 years. I am 34 years old. I was getting over my phobia so I went to a dentist. Last time I went I had to cavities filled...a few months beore that, I had deep cleaning of my teeth and gums due to a few years of not going to the dentist due my phobias. I was supposed to go back and have 3 more filled but I never did because I was saving up money to do so.

Then I got pregnant, had my child, and haven't been back. She's had many health issues we've had to deal with (and spend money on), so our focus has been on that. I've neglected my teeth, I admit I should be doing better. I don't floss much, I have gingivitis and phobias about my teeth and gums and don't want to even look at them, I am afraid I'll see a huge rotting tooth or something

Anyway, those few cavities I had to still have filled are probably worse. I am so scared to go back because I'm afraid I will have more cavities and need root canals or something. My husband and I aren't exactly poor but we do live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford ROOT canals or stuff like that. I probably also need a deep cleaning of my gums which is expensive too.

What should I do? Should I go back to the same dentist and have him yell at me for not coming back when I supposed to? He was ok, I don't think he was trying to rip me off or anything. He knew my money situation, but they did not accept payment plans. I have dental insurance through work but it is pretty pathetic, it has a pretty big deductible and only covers xrays and cleanings the first year of coverage (which I am under).

Sorry this is so long....any advice from someone who has overcome these issues?

thanks,
Laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User
Re: Haven't been to the dentist in 5 years....please help

LOL i had you beat by 5 more years! My first visit back to the dentist was 10 years after last going! I have NEVER flossed , cept maybe once or twice. I always did brush though after having something sweet, like a soda, and the doctor thinks that what saved me from any real damage to mt teeth. In ten years all i had was 3 cavities!

here is my topic from then

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=534365[/url]

Point is i was scared too not knowing! but everything turned out fine and i'm sure it will be for you also.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:08 PM   #3
(female)

charlottefr HB User
courage to change the things you can

Hi katiesmom...I can certainly relate to your fear of going to a dentist..you are definitely not alone in that!

It sounds like you are really concerned about the condition of your gums and teeth. You can't do anything about not having gone to the dentist in the past, but you can change what you do from this day on if you really want to. You could start today by regularly brushing your teeth each day and by putting a plan in place for regular visits (once a year?) to a dentist in the future

You don't mention in your post if you're experiencing any toothache right now. If you aren't, that is a good sign, in my opinion, that your teeth are not in that bad shape. You could make an initial trip to the dentist just to have xrays and an assessment done of your teeth. You could then make any decisions after that appointment about your plan of attack, if necessary. Remember, it's up to you what work you have done on your teeth...if you do have cavities, couldn't you arrange to have one cavity done per month to save on cost, for example?

If you're concerned about your former dentist yelling at you (which would not be very professional of him, imo) then maybe you could choose someone else and start over with a new dentist.

Have you thought of buying supplemental dental insurance if you think you will need costly procedures in the future? It might pay off in the long run?

Anyway, keep in touch..and I hope you find the courage to make that first appointment

Old 02-13-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiesmom123 View Post
This is my first post to this particular board. I am embarassed to admit this, but I have not been to the dentist in 5 years. I am 34 years old. I was getting over my phobia so I went to a dentist. Last time I went I had to cavities filled...a few months beore that, I had deep cleaning of my teeth and gums due to a few years of not going to the dentist due my phobias. I was supposed to go back and have 3 more filled but I never did because I was saving up money to do so.

Then I got pregnant, had my child, and haven't been back. She's had many health issues we've had to deal with (and spend money on), so our focus has been on that. I've neglected my teeth, I admit I should be doing better. I don't floss much, I have gingivitis and phobias about my teeth and gums and don't want to even look at them, I am afraid I'll see a huge rotting tooth or something

Anyway, those few cavities I had to still have filled are probably worse. I am so scared to go back because I'm afraid I will have more cavities and need root canals or something. My husband and I aren't exactly poor but we do live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford ROOT canals or stuff like that. I probably also need a deep cleaning of my gums which is expensive too.

What should I do? Should I go back to the same dentist and have him yell at me for not coming back when I supposed to? He was ok, I don't think he was trying to rip me off or anything. He knew my money situation, but they did not accept payment plans. I have dental insurance through work but it is pretty pathetic, it has a pretty big deductible and only covers xrays and cleanings the first year of coverage (which I am under).

Sorry this is so long....any advice from someone who has overcome these issues?

thanks,
Laura

your dentist shouldnt yell at you for not coming sooner ,even though probably would of been better if you did,but just explain you never had the money and yoiu had family problems and leave it at that .

i'm sure your dentist be able to sort you out ,try not to worry if your dentist is a good dentist ,you be ok

good luck laura

Old 02-14-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
(female)

lysinelover HB User

I can totally relate to having these phobias. My suggestion would be to not go back to that same dentist, but call around or look in your paper (sometimes gentle dentists advertise as such) lots of times I have seen ads for new patients (free cleaning & ex-ray) etc. You could call & ask about payment plans too- that's really important if you dont have insurance!
I have had a few really awful dentists mostly from childhood) and was always terrified of going (and what they would find wrong)
I went for years without going- but finally was forced to because of pain (I needed my wisdom teeth out) Anyway, I am soooo glad I kept looking around, as i finally found a really wonderful dentists office- all women, and they are so comforting & great! Hope you find a good one too! When you do, they shoud be able to help with fears etc.

Closed Thread