It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
(male)

krazynayba HB User
Dry mouth after brushing

Hi all
I have been having this problem for as long as i remember and it is making brushing my teeth extremely unpleasant. Now i have looked up on the net what is happening to me but i have no relevant information as of yet.

After i brush my teeth, after waiting maybe half an hour i start to get an extremely dry mouth and my nasal passage dries out also, forcing me to frequently consume large amounts of water to moisten my mouth and throat. This is extremely annoying and is what puts me off brushing my teeth.

I have seen disorders on the net involving dry mouth but thats unrelated to the brushing of teeth, my mouth is fine and moist if i don't brush, but if i do it gets really dry.

Can anyone help me?
No one else i know seems to have this problem, it seems like its just me.
Help would be much appreciated!

Thankyou

Old 02-13-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Dry mouth after brushing

This is just a thought - but you might want to check the tooth paste or mouth wash you are using - if you haven't already. Anything with baking soda or alcohol or bleaching/whitening agents could dry out your mouth and affect your nasal passages. I know in the US there is a dental paste and rinse specifically made to treat dry mouth called Biotene - I think they also make gum and lozenges to ease the dryness as well. Initially it was made to help diabetics and smokers since dry mouth is common in both but maybe you can check into using a product like that or one that contains all natural ingredients like "Toms" paste and rinse to help with your problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
(male)

uws HB User
Smile Re: Dry mouth after brushing

Hi krazynayba,

I also get an unusually dry mouth about 15 - 30mins after brushing my teeth. I've found that the sooner I drink water after brushing, the less dry it is, and I try to continue to take sips for 10 - 15mins and then it seems to be back to normal (or at least less severe). I think it may have something to do with the chemical residue left from brushing because I brush my teeth for about 5mins which may give enough time for the residue to stick even after rinsing. I've also noticed that it is worse if I gargle with alcoholic mouth wash.

I didn't know this experience was so rare as I too can not find information on this topic. I suggest bringing it up with your dentist the next time you see them, I know I will.

All the best and let me know if you find something that helps

Old 01-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #4
(male)

ferrier HB User
Re: Dry mouth after brushing

i have the same problem

Closed Thread