It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 04:29 AM   #46
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User
Re: Valplast Partials Did Not Work For Me!

Susan, how did you do? I was thinking of you and hoping you are feeling OK today. Hang in there. Phew, at least that part is behind you.

glowing4

Old 03-04-2008, 04:57 AM   #47
(female)

konamom HB User

Good morning,
Well, yesterday was very, very odd. It's a good thing that yesterday's appointment was the last one and not the first because I'm not sure I would have gone back! I had a HORRIFIC reaction to the nitrous which has never happened before, and it was the freakiest thing that's ever happened to me. Then, immediately after getting the injection to get numb, my heart started pounding out of my chest. To top it all off, it took the dentist 15 minutes to pull one tooth. Lord have mercy. I was a mess when I got home No pain or discomfort, but I thought the tooth would never come out. You want to talk about pressure on the jaw bone???? Thank you for thinking of me. I'm so incredibly glad that this part of my dental journey is over. Once again I didn't get to speak to the dentist about bridges or partials, but I have an appointment next week to just talk! How's the TMJ? Have you taken any of the meds?
Peace,
Susan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2008, 05:31 AM   #48
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry you went through all of that. My second son had a reaction to nitrous when he was three years old (long story, but he had enamel breakdown on all of his baby teeth). He went "under" too far - one of the scariest days of my life, so no nitrous for him ever again!!!! His grandfather had a similar reaction so none of us ever use it.

Wow, do I know what it is like to not have a tooth come out easily. I am so sorry. It is so hard to sit there and have them work and work at it all the while just praying it will get out!!!! I imagine that will be a bit sore for awhile.

I haven't taken the muscle relaxants. Just can't bring myself to do it as so scared of the side effects. It has been pretty bad the last couple of days though with no signs of letting up soon. I wish these teeth would come so I can get some relief.

Let me know what you and your dentist decide. I will be anxiously waiting to know what your next step is.

For today, just rest and relax. Your body, not to mention your mouth has been through a lot, so baby yourself. You are certainly entitled.

glowing4

Old 03-04-2008, 06:33 AM   #49
(female)

konamom HB User

You know what? Why don't you take 1/2 of pill? I've taken muscle relaxants before when I had some issue with my back and had no trouble at all, and I'm very sensitive to meds of any sort. What medication is it?
Peace,
Susan
P.S. I'm definitely resting today We've got wicked weather coming our way, my hubby is out of town, and I'm doing NOTHING!

Old 03-05-2008, 06:08 AM   #50
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Glad you took the day and did nothing - just what you should be doing! And, hope the morning finds you feeling lots better.

The muscle relaxant is flexeril. Have you taken that or heard of it?

Off today for my first fitting with the new dentures. Teeth won't be on it yet - just getting the plate fitted. So, send me some good thoughts. I am so hoping this all works out soon.

Take it easy again today AND thanks so much for being there time and time again. It means a great deal to me - more than you know.

glowing4

Old 03-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #51
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Had my first fitting for new partials, and dare I even say it, they were very, very good - lighter weight metal and seemed to fit right in with little or no problem. Of course, this is without teeth on them yet, but wow, what a difference from my old metal ones and also the Valplast. I am afraid to get too excited yet, but today was such a pleasant surprise. Maybe, just maybe, I am ending a long road!

Combine that with a son whose wife is now pregnant with twins thanks to Invitro (his problem) and today was a very good day despite the ear ringing and the jaw pain. Wow, I will deal with all of that if it means this wonderful young man and his wife can be parents!

Hoping you had a good day too and that your mouth is feeling lots better. Ask your dentist about the new, lighter weight metal, and don't make the mistakes that I did. Being able to see a few metal pieces way up on your gum line is definitely worth it compared to what I have gone through over the past seven months.

Thinking of you. Let me know about your meeting with your dentist. Hopefully we are on the down hill slide with all of this!

glowing4

Old 03-06-2008, 02:24 AM   #52
(female)

konamom HB User

Now that was wonderful to read! Such great news!!! Yes, I've taken that medication with no problems at all, and I'm VERY sensitive to all drugs. I tried moving a 27 inch television by myself (not very smart as it was years ago and a big sucker!) and pulled the muscles in my chest. Ouch. Thought I was having a heart attack. Flexeril worked like a charm! I can't tell you how happy I am for you right now. You really deserve to be happy with your new partials, and I'll definitely be discussing that option with my dentist next week! Keep me posted on how wonderful you're doing, and I just know a good end is in sight for you Oh...I almost forgot...CONGRATULATIONS GRANDMA! Babies are so wonderful
Peace,
Susan

Old 03-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #53
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Yes, it really was encouraging to have the new partial plate seem to fit so well. I am reserving judement though until the full thing is complete. Do ask about your dentist about the new, lighter, metal material. Anything that feels lighter in your mouth is a benefit.

I am still dealing with lots of TMJ issues, so very anxious to get the new partials to see if that helps. None of this has been easy, but at least I feel that I am moving forward a bit. My dentist hopes, along with me, that the new partials will get my mouth back in line and alleviate the symptoms. All fingers are crossed!!

How are you eating? Are you doing OK? It is so difficult to eat without teeth and to find things that are appealing. I have found that taste is so important. It doesn't seem to matter as much if things are mushy as long as there is good taste. If you need any thoughts on this let me know. After seven months I now feel like a pro on what to eat!!

Glad you are doing so good. That is fantastic. One of these days we will both be pain free and "doing life" again as it should be.

glowing4

Thanks for your thoughts on the new babies. Wow, that was an instand pick me up!

Old 03-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #54
(female)

konamom HB User

Believe it or not, I'm having NO trouble eating! When I'm determined, I can do anything! Can I assume the partials are still doing well? I've got my fingers crossed. Next week I finally meet with the dentist to figure out the rest of my treatment plan. I'm actually kind of excited. I'm hoping that this will all be behind me before summer. Let me know how you're doing. Did you ever take the Flexeril? Enjoy your weekend!
Peace,
Susan

Old 03-13-2008, 08:53 AM   #55
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Susan, Have you met with the dentist and discussed your partials? Have you reached a decision. And, how are you feeling?

I have been away for a few days, but thinking about you and hope you are doing well and getting things figured out.

glowing4

Old 03-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #56
(female)

konamom HB User

Hey! Sorry I've been gone for a bit. My life suddenly got very chaotic. Can you believe I still haven't had a chance to talk with the dentist? I'm going to wait until after Easter when things settle down a bit. How's it going with the new partials? I sure hope you're going to give me GOOD news! Hope you are well!
Peace,
Susan

Old 03-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #57
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Sounds like you are feeling pretty good. I am so glad to hear that. Sorry life got chaotic, but that always seems to happen doesn't it!

I had my second fitting for my new partials today and so far so good. They actually felt really good and looked good too. The lighter weight metal that my dentist ordered makes a huge difference in the feel inside my mouth. Of course I have not eaten with them yet, so will have to see how that goes. They were sent back for the final stage and I should have them in about a week and a half. I am gun shy after everything I have been through so therefor not as hopeful as I probably should be, but from the two fittings I have had they just might be the right thing finally.

I will let you know once I have them. Have a wonderful Easter. Stay in touch. We will get through this!

glowing4

Old 03-19-2008, 06:57 AM   #58
(female)

konamom HB User

I will keep everything I can cross crossed! I'll be offline until after Easter as my house is a disaster, I don't have a menu planned, and I've got company coming for dinner. We may order pizza Lots to do! Talk to you soon!
Peace,
Susan

Old 04-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #59
(female)

janna57 HB User

I have valplast lower partial. Also, I have a full upper plate.(it is 9 yrs. old) I have had partials in the past, but I never had one that was this hard to adapt to. I had my tooth pulled in October. I had to wait until new year for insurance purposes to get my partial. I had a regular partial prior with metal clasps prior to this. With the extra tooth pulled the metal clasps would be too noticeable. So, I opted for the Valplast. I can tolerate with some benzodent. However, I cannot eat more than soft food with it. I have gone for three adjustments already. My dental clinic is 50 miles from me. I am tired of going back for adjustments. I am fine, except for when I eat. I don't know if this will be okay in time. I do not know if I need another adjustment. When I am not eating, I have no problems with it. I do not want to go back to traditional partial. Actually, I am probably not far off from a full lower plate. I only have 8 teeth left. Does anyone think that I need another adjustment? Or, is it that I need to learn to eat with this partial?

Old 04-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #60
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Janna, I am sorry you are having so much trouble with the Valplast partials. I had the same problem - couldn't eat with them. I chose the Valplast to begin with because I thought they would be softer and less noticable, but they simply did not work for me. I have recently gotten the traditional ones and they are working much better. Yes, the metal does show a little bit, but I would much rather eat and be comfortable and they really aren't that noticable.

From what I understand, it can sometimes take awhile to get the Valplast to fit properly and require many fittings, but once they are correct they can be very good. I think it might be wise to go back and have them rechecked and adjusted as needed. It is important to be able to eat. I found that when I ate that mine slipped and the dentist agreed that that was what was happening.

Hope you find your answer and can get things worked out.

glowing4

Closed Thread