It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User
Valplast Partials Did Not Work For Me!

Several months ago there was a discussion on this board about the valplast partials. At the time I was in the process of getting them for the top and the bottom. Well, fast forward about seven months and I have decided to give up on them, in fact spent the morning with my dentist getting impressions made for the metal ones.

What I found out is that they easily slip and put a great deal of pressure on the gums. I found this to be very uncomfortable and even painful. The metal ones are firmer and stay in place better without slippage. As I bit down they would shift side to side causing pain. It was not just due to a poor fit either as we had the top ones made twice! I also found the hooks which go over the gums instead of around a tooth to be painful as well. My dentist and I struggled with them for months until I finally gave up. After seven months of not being able to eat it is time to get on with feeling better.

There are probably many people that they work well for, and quite possibly when fewer teeth are involved than what I need. I wanted to pass my experience along though and I think it wise to investigate them totally before investing the larger expense. If you have a very sensitive mouth as I do with a lot of problems they may not be right. For those that have had a great experience with them, I am most happy for you. They do look better, are lighter, and wish they had worked for me.

glowing4

The following user gives a hug of support to glowing4:
Lola Rebecca (11-20-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glowing4 For This Useful Post:
lizbelle828 (09-19-2011), Lola Rebecca (11-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User
Re: Valplast Partials Did Not Work For Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowing4 View Post
Several months ago there was a discussion on this board about the valplast partials. At the time I was in the process of getting them for the top and the bottom. Well, fast forward about seven months and I have decided to give up on them, in fact spent the morning with my dentist getting impressions made for the metal ones.

What I found out is that they easily slip and put a great deal of pressure on the gums. I found this to be very uncomfortable and even painful. The metal ones are firmer and stay in place better without slippage. As I bit down they would shift side to side causing pain. It was not just due to a poor fit either as we had the top ones made twice! I also found the hooks which go over the gums instead of around a tooth to be painful as well. My dentist and I struggled with them for months until I finally gave up. After seven months of not being able to eat it is time to get on with feeling better.

There are probably many people that they work well for, and quite possibly when fewer teeth are involved than what I need. I wanted to pass my experience along though and I think it wise to investigate them totally before investing the larger expense. If you have a very sensitive mouth as I do with a lot of problems they may not be right. For those that have had a great experience with them, I am most happy for you. They do look better, are lighter, and wish they had worked for me.

glowing4
they were the one's my previous dentist was trying me to get ,he was so excited about it, he showed me a spare one the technicion had made another patient ,would of been better if it was the same teeth that i have at front so you could see it more better being the same teeth rather than denture of side teeth
but apart from costing double the amount than normal ones put me off
if it was the case it looking better and feeling better the cost wouldnt of mattered too much ,but i didnt opt for that as it didnt feel to em any better than the normal dentures

im glad now also i listend tto you as you had them im glad i never went for that option

thank you

Old 02-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

I agree now - looking better vs feeling better is a big, big option. My dentist was excited about them too and I fell for it. It is a super nice guy and was only looking out for my well being, but looking back now, I wish I had gone for the standard ones. This has been too long a haul for vanity! Actually, it wasn't all vanity. I was hoping they would feel lighter, but they really didn't. Who is really going to notice a few wires along the gum line anyway. Glad you opted for the standard ones. I am now looking forward to being able to eat again!

glowing4

Old 02-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
(female)

konamom HB User

WOW! I'm so glad I just saw this! Maybe you can help me. I'm about to have 9 extractions on the top and bottom and will require partials. Why do you think the other type of partials would work better for you? How many teeth are you missing? Are you wearing tops and bottoms? What's the price difference? So many questions...Thanks!
Peace,
Susan

Old 02-16-2008, 05:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Susan, I will try to answer your questions as best that I can. Please remember that everyone is different and what does or doesn't work for me may not be the same for you. Definitely do a lot of talking with your dentist and a lot of research on your own too.

I am missing all of my molars - top and bottom. About three years ago I got the bottom partial - the standard, metal kind. While it felt very heavy in my mouth, especially after wearing for a long time, it did work and fit very well.

This past summer I went through a bout of very bad teeth problems - infections and failed root canals done years before resulting in having five teeth extracted over a period of two months. We had, at the time, moved to another state. I found a great dentist who recommended the Valplast partials for lighter weight and looks. We began with replacing the lower partial while the top gums healed. I never felt that it fit right nor was comfortable and wore it only for eating.

The top partial came in and was totally wrong and had to be sent back. Last week the new one came in and I was not happy with that one either. I had another meeting with my dentist and we decided to go back to harder, metal dentures. Below are the reasons why:

- the Valplast partials have a gum colored hook that go over the gums as opposed to the other partials that have a silver hook that goes around a tooth. I found the Valplast hook to be very uncomfortable - rubbing against my gums all the time and pushing up or down and into my gums each time I tried to chew. Those are difficult to file down and get comfortable.

- The Valplast partials are not hard like the other kind and tend to slip when chewing thus pressing into the soft tissue of the gums. Attempting to adjust that was very, very difficult. My dentist confirmed that that was what was happening.

- They are twice as expensive!! My most kind and caring dentist is giving me the new, metal ones at cost after everything I have been through.

- The Valplast partials can be adjusted with heat or cold, so often wondered if they were expanding and contracting depending on what I was eating or the temperature of the water when I was rinsing them before use.

- Other teeth can not be added to a Valplast partial should that be required in the future and they are much more expensive.

- I found that the harder, metal partials stayed in place much better, fit better, and gave me very few problems. After all of my dental work, dealing with more pain is just not acceptable. I have not really been able to eat for the past seven months and I am ready to get my life back.

My dentist has a patient who has used the Valplast for 20 years with no problems. So there must be people that they work well for. There is the issue of seeing the metal hooks. However, they were barely noticable with my old ones and I will gladly trade seeing a few metal hooks for being able to eat again. I doubt I am ever going to love having partials, however, I am definitely looking for the best comfort I can find. The slippage of the Valplast was something I was not going to get used to. The harder ones fit over the gums with a harder material that does not seem to cause those issues for me. Sore spots are to be expected with any new partial, however, the Valplast ones are harder to correct according to my dentist and once material is taken off of them it can not be put back as it can with the other kind.

I would definitely do lots of talking with your dentist and lots of research. Everyone is different and you can not base your decision on my experience. However, I do wonder if the Valplast works better with fewer teeth required and with less sensitive gums. I am sure people will question my dentist after reading this, but I can assure you that he is excellent and works with a very good lab. Maybe someone will give you a different opinion who has had very good luck with them. You can also find information online. For me, newer was not always better, and it is difficult to make the right decisions. I was swayed by the thought of them being lighter, but lighter meant slippage for me and wow, I don't want any more mouth pain!!

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions. Good luck to you. I am so sorry you are facing all of this. It is hard, I know. But, you will get through it.

glowing4

Old 02-16-2008, 05:53 AM   #6
(female)

konamom HB User

THANK YOU so much for this information. I'm definitely going to do my research. Two more questions! How long did you let your gums heal before getting them? How long does it take to get them? Thanks again for your help. I really, really appreciate it as this is unknown territory for me!
Peace,
Susan

Old 02-16-2008, 06:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Susan,

I am sorry to say that I had to wait three months for my gums to heal before the impressions could be made for the partials. It is a long wait. I think some dentists do them right away, but my dentist said that as your gums and mouth heal that things shift and change so that it would then require another partial being made. I had another dentist tell me the same thing. I also think that some dentists will do a temporary one so you might want to ask about that, but that is more expense. Depending on where you live, it can take between a week to a month before the partials come in. It seems long, but it is also worth it to have everything done right so that they fit right. Trying to rush things only makes matters worse in the long run.

I know it is scary especially as it is all unknown to you. A great deal of it is still an unknown for me too, even after all of this work. It does require time and patience and trying to keep a good attitude.

When are you getting the extractions done? Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. I am happy to help any way that I can.

glowing4

Old 02-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #8
(female)

konamom HB User

Hi,I've had one extraction already (it was a breeze and I no pain during or after), and I have 4 this Friday, 2 the following Monday, and the last 2 on March 3rd. I don't mind waiting for my gums to heal I'm honestly more concerned about having 4 teeth pulled at one time, and one is an impacted wisdom tooth. Gulp...Tell me it will be okay! I'm only going to get numbed up and have some nitrous because I'm too freaked out to have sedation. I hope I don't regret it!
Peace,
Susan

Old 02-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

You will be fine. Yes, I can tell you that you will be OK. I had three done at one time. Actually, with a good oral surgeon they come out pretty quickly and easily. I only had novacaine and did just fine.

Why are you not getting them all done at one time? Why the wait between? I am sure there is a logical reason. Just wondering what that is.

I am here for moral support if you need it.

glowing4

Old 02-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Forgot to mention that if the teeth being extracted are next to one another that the 2nd and 3rd will usually come out easier after the first is done. Hope this helps.

glowing4

Old 02-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #11
(female)

charlottefr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by konamom View Post
Hi,I've had one extraction already (it was a breeze and I no pain during or after), and I have 4 this Friday, 2 the following Monday, and the last 2 on March 3rd. I don't mind waiting for my gums to heal I'm honestly more concerned about having 4 teeth pulled at one time, and one is an impacted wisdom tooth. Gulp...Tell me it will be okay! I'm only going to get numbed up and have some nitrous because I'm too freaked out to have sedation. I hope I don't regret it!
Peace,
Susan
Hi konamom...is the impacted wisdom tooth that you're having extracted under your bottom gum? The reason I'm asking is that if it's close to the lingual nerve, there is a slight risk that it can be damaged during the procedure (happened to me). I sure don't want to worry you any more than you are..but did your dentist/surgeon explain the risks of a wisdom tooth extraction to you? I'm wondering if removing an impacted wisdom tooth along with three other extractions at the same time is maybe too much for one visit? Or maybe it is easier for the surgeon to do the wisdom tooth extraction when the teeth near it have been extracted? That is, there would be more room for him to 'maneuver' and work in that area?

Old 02-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #12
(female)

konamom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowing4 View Post
You will be fine. Yes, I can tell you that you will be OK. I had three done at one time. Actually, with a good oral surgeon they come out pretty quickly and easily. I only had novacaine and did just fine.

Why are you not getting them all done at one time? Why the wait between? I am sure there is a logical reason. Just wondering what that is.

I am here for moral support if you need it.

glowing4
Why not all at one time? I have no earthly idea other than I'm a big chicken and that's how they set up the appointments! Having 9 teeth pulled at one time totally freaks me out What they did was set up 4 appointment for deep cleaning and each appointment has extractions in the quadrant that's being cleaned. 4 appointments total. Suits me just fine! I'm such a dork...I'm really concerned about this wisdom tooth more than anything. I've heard horror stories, but I'm assuming the dentist knows what he's doing. I'm also assuming that he would have referred me to an oral surgeon if he thought I needed it. I hope I'm assuming correctly
Peace,
Susan

Last edited by konamom; 02-17-2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added something

Old 02-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #13
(female)

konamom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottefr View Post
Hi konamom...is the impacted wisdom tooth that you're having extracted under your bottom gum? The reason I'm asking is that if it's close to the lingual nerve, there is a slight risk that it can be damaged during the procedure (happened to me). I sure don't want to worry you any more than you are..but did your dentist/surgeon explain the risks of a wisdom tooth extraction to you? I'm wondering if removing an impacted wisdom tooth along with three other extractions at the same time is maybe too much for one visit? Or maybe it is easier for the surgeon to do the wisdom tooth extraction when the teeth near it have been extracted? That is, there would be more room for him to 'maneuver' and work in that area?

Yep, it's the bottom one. No, he didn't explain ANY risks to me at all, but I guess I better discuss this prior to the extraction. I believe that removing all 4 teeth at one time is too much, but apparently a lot of people get many more than that at one time. I'm a total dental phobic, and I still can't believe I got one tooth pulled with only nitrous and numbing. That's a miracle! The thought of sedation doesn't thrill me, so I'll just have to deal with it.
Peace,
Susan

Old 02-17-2008, 10:23 PM   #14
(female)

charlottefr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by konamom View Post
Yep, it's the bottom one. No, he didn't explain ANY risks to me at all, but I guess I better discuss this prior to the extraction. I believe that removing all 4 teeth at one time is too much, but apparently a lot of people get many more than that at one time. I'm a total dental phobic, and I still can't believe I got one tooth pulled with only nitrous and numbing. That's a miracle! The thought of sedation doesn't thrill me, so I'll just have to deal with it.
Peace,
Susan
hi susan...well, if he didn't explain any risks to you, that concerns me a little bit I'm really glad you're going to ask him why he isn't referring you to an oral surgeon to have the wisdom tooth extracted. I understand that the WT has to come out or it might cause you problems with your partials later on and you sure wouldn't want that! But, I believe an oral surgeon has extra training (and experience) in removing impacted wisdom teeth...and has all the equipment, resources necessary if there are any complications during the procedure. You could also ask your dentist how much experience he's had with doing this type of extraction.

If you are older (like not in your 20's) I've learned that a wisdom tooth extraction can be pretty complex depending on the way the tooth is impacted. Again, if the WT or its roots are located very near the lingual nerve (as was my case) then you are at risk for nerve damage which may result in temporary or permanent numbness, etc. Were you shown the x-rays of your wisdom tooth? How is it positioned in your gum? I think if a WT is fully above the gum, not at a wierd angle or if the WT and its roots are not close to a major nerve then a regular dentist should be able to do the procedure with little problem...

Another thing I'm wondering about is how hard is it to deal with a wisdom tooth operation along with the extraction of three other teeth? I've had a difficult healing period (five weeks now) just from having one impacted tooth extracted..I can't imagine having three other extractions to deal with post-operatively (?) at the same time...but that's just me, I guess. Maybe there is someone reading here who has had multiple extractions (including an impacted WT) done at the same time and they can describe their experience?

I hope I'm not upsetting you or causing you more worries...congratulations on doing so well on your first extraction I think you'll have little problem getting the remaining teeth out...it's just your darn wisdom tooth that I have concerns about!

Old 02-18-2008, 05:42 AM   #15
(female)

konamom HB User

No, I haven't seen the x-ray, but I don't think I'm going to let them pull it after everything I've been reading since reading your post. I can't thank you enough for bringing this to my attention. What I'm wondering is this. The teeth next to this tooth are coming out on Friday. If the wisdom tooth is under the gum completely, how will this cause problems with the partials? I'm wondering if I should take a wait and see attitude. I guess I need to REALLY question the dentist, but I'm very leary about this. By the way, you're not freaking me out! You're empowering me
Peace,
Susan

Closed Thread