It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
(female)

pwinkle HB User
what can cause pain after a crown dental procedure

what can cause pain after a crown dental procedure

Old 02-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User
Re: what can cause pain after a crown dental procedure

why did you need a crown? was the tooth cracked? root canal? can you give some more info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2008, 07:23 AM   #3
(female)

katzfriend HB User

It could be that the crown is too high and needs to be adjusted.
If it was placed on a "live" tooth, without a root canal, the prep for the crown could have caused the nerve to die and you will now need a root canal.
Or if you did have a root canal, you could have an infection and need a retreatment of the root canal.
Lastly, It could be a gum problem...

Old 02-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
(female)

pwinkle HB User

Thanks for your help. I tried to amend the question after it posted to tell everyone what had already been tried. The crown in question was put on 15 months ago! I have since had 2 root canals on it and am currently on antibiotic in case there is an infection. The day I posted the thread, I had a third root canal on the crown above it. If this doesn't work I am ready to have the teeth on that side of my mouth pulled and wear dentures!

Old 02-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
(female)

bocmember01 HB User

I'd press my dentist to answer the question and if I was not satisfied I'd find another dentist. You paid for treatment and deserve proper followup care.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I would agree - if the dentist hasn' been able to figure it out or attempted to correct it - even it it means removing the crown and putting a temp crown on to see if the tooth would then settle down - then go see another dentist. It could be the base of the crown where the margin is does not fit correctly and/or is infringing on a ligament of the tooth. I have found that some dentists feel crowns should tightly abutt other teeth and other dentists feel there should be slight contact only or a even a bit of space between other teeth even so as not to disturb the tooth with the crown and to allow for natural mobility of teeth. The first dentist that did several crowns for me basically just placed the crown on the tooth with cement and I never had any problems. When another dentist did a couple of crowns he pressed the crown deeply into my gum lines and while I know that may be done to avoid the telltale sign of a crowns margin - both teeth had problems shortly thereafter and eventually - after rc and re-treatments - I had the crowns removed and redone by another dentist.

Closed Thread