It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
(male)

Cruz79 HB User
Wisdom teeth coming out soon

Pretty soon I'll have to get at least one wisom tooth removed that is broken. Getting all four removed is also a possibility, as it is something advised by my dentist. It all depends on what I want to do. I'm a nervous wreck over this right now. I don't know what to expect duringthe procedure and then afterwards. I've read a lot of horror stories here and elsewhere regarding the procedure, how people feel afterwards and things that may pop up as a result of the removal.

Is it really this bad with the pain, infections, numbness, recovery, etc.? Does recovery really take a long time? Can people do anything after? What's it like being put to sleep and then waking up? Is a root canal more painful or a tooth removal?

Old 03-05-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
(female)

charlottefr HB User
Re: Wisdom teeth coming out soon

Hi cruz..it's understandable that you are a bit worried or anxious. Remember that only a relatively small percentage of wisdom tooth extractions result in nerve damage. It sounds like your wisdom tooth is not impacted so I think the procedure should be pretty straightforward for an experienced dentist. Is your wisdom tooth on the bottom or the top?

There are some preventative things you can do. Make sure your dentist/oral surgeon is qualified and well experienced in doing wisdom tooth extractions. Make sure he/she answers any questions that you might have and openly discusses with you any risks involved with the procedure. Ask him/her about how they plan to assist and provide care to you during your post surgery recovery if there happen to be complications. I really wish I would have asked this before my surgery. I would have also insisted on a followup appointment one week after my extraction.

I think that the recovery after a 'normal' uncomplicated wisdom tooth extraction is pretty quick...there will be probably be some pain and swelling of your face but that should be minimized within 4 or 5 days. Your dentist will probably prescribe antibiotics and painkillers for you to take. Infections and dry sockets can occur but likely won't if you follow the instructions faithfully for post-care that your dentist/OS will give you.

As far as getting all your wisdom teeth out, please do some more research and/or get a second opinion on whether that is necessary or not before you make that decision. If you are older, like me, then the chances of complications unfortunately increases. I'm glad I got my one wisdom tooth out...but I am personally happy to keep the rest where they are for now.

What kind of anaesthesia will you be having? If it's a local anaesthetic you will be awake through the procedure. I had a general anaesthetic so I can describe what that was like for me if you'd like...

Last edited by charlottefr; 03-05-2008 at 12:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2008, 12:58 AM   #3
(male)

Cruz79 HB User

The tooth is on the bottom left.

What is general anaesthetic like?

Old 03-05-2008, 06:16 AM   #4
(female)

charlottefr HB User

hi again cruz...I didn't find being under general anaesthetic too bad. The hardest thing was the sore throat from having the tube inserted during the procedure. It hurt quite a bit to swallow for about 4 days after. My operation was scheduled for 3 o'clock in the afternoon so I was able to eat breakfast and have a coffee before being admitted at 11. I waited around in my room until 2:45 when the nurses came in to put the IV needle in my arm..and then I had a rather wild and crazy ride on the bed to the operating room...I think the nurse was just trying to help me to relax and I remember telling him it's just like driving in France!

When I got there, the anaesthesiologist was waiting so it was nice to see a familiar face. I had met with him a week or so before for the mandatory pre-op appointment. Someone else put those suction cups on my chest...and the IV fluid was then hooked up. The doctor just told me that I would be falling asleep soon...and that's the last I can remember.

Waking up is rather bizarre. I woke up in my room and I remember a nurse being there. I was pretty groggy..and immediately noticed the sore throat when I tried to swallow...I had alot of 'stuff' to swallow...not sure why or what was causing it. Then I put my hand to my face and could feel the swelling of my cheek and under my jaw. I believe they already had the pain meds hooked up to the IV by that point..but I could be wrong..it might have been later. I did feel some pain. I slept mostly sitting up.. with my cheek laying against the icepack... off and on throughout the early evening and night...watched TV in the times that I was awake and called the nurses a couple of times to ask for a new icepack for my cheek or to tell them that the IV fluid (pain meds) had run out. I was really happy to get some yogurt and some other soft stuff to eat sometime in that timeframe.

My wisdom tooth was impacted and according to my OS 'really big' and very difficult to extract. Personally, I'm glad that I was under general anaesthetic to have it removed and that I was in the hospital overnight for the first few hours of recuperating anyway.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
(female)

lynn117 HB User

i am a huge baby and was terrified when i went to have my top wisdom teeth pulled. i was lucky an never got bottom ones. i had just a bunch of novicaine shots. it was not bad. the procedure took just a few minutes and didnt hurt at all. the oddest part was having my dentist practically in my lap as he was yanking. it was all just a pressure sensation. recovery took about a week but i used advil and never bothered filling my painkiller prescription. the horror stories posted here are worst case scenarios and are rare.
i have also had two root canals and didnt find them painful either. i have started taking a valium before my appointment which relieves my blind terror and removes my death grip on the chair.

Last edited by lynn117; 03-07-2008 at 09:07 PM.

Closed Thread