It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
(female)

cbrown1392 HB User
Sensitive Teeth to Cold Weather

Hello,
When I go out on very cold and windy days and come back home, I find that all my teeth hurt. My teeth must be very sensitive to cold weather. Does anyone know what can be done about this?

Old 03-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
(female)

lynn117 HB User
Re: Sensitive Teeth to Cold Weather

wow. i thought i was the only one this happened to. i asked my dentist and he said he had never heard that complaint before and suggested keeping my mouth shut in cold weather. i dont know if he was joking but if i am walking fast i do tend to breathe thru my mouth. i find if you wrap a warm scarf around the lower face it helps quite a bit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
(female)

cbrown1392 HB User
Smile Re: Sensitive Teeth to Cold Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn117 View Post
wow. i thought i was the only one this happened to. i asked my dentist and he said he had never heard that complaint before and suggested keeping my mouth shut in cold weather. i dont know if he was joking but if i am walking fast i do tend to breathe thru my mouth. i find if you wrap a warm scarf around the lower face it helps quite a bit.

Hi there,
Thanks for your reply. I have had this problem for many years now. Maybe it is because I have bad teeth. I have had so much dental work done through the years. I do keep my mouth shut as I am walking. I guess the only thing I can try is a scarf. I am also trying to find some kind of a hat that would keep the bottom part of my face covered. This problem doesn't happen in summer or in warm weather.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
(female)

lynn117 HB User

would we look funny if we had to wear ski masks in the summer!
sensitive teeth toothpaste helps a little too.

Last edited by lynn117; 03-15-2008 at 04:24 PM.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
(female)

nobodycares HB User

Do your teeth hurt with any hot/cold drinks, air, etc..?
It's odd if it's only in the cold weather. You could be clenching your jaw when you're out and not realizing it, people tend to tense up in the cold trying to keep warm. Tightly clenching your jaw will obviously cause pain after awhile.
But if you're teeth are sensitive to hot/cold, ask your dentist about getting a polymer sealant applied to the sensitive teeth. If your dentist doesn't do that call around to some of the newer dental offices in your area. They usually have the best up to date equipment.
Anyway, it's the hygienist who cleans my teeth that does it. They will check your teeth to find the sensitive ones, then they apply a coating, use a laser light type thing for about 30 seconds to seal, then apply a second coating, seal it again and that's it.
It was the first time in years I could eat/drink without any discomfort. It usually runs about $10-20 a tooth but believe me it's worth it. It can last from a couple months to years depending on your situation.
I also use a prescription tooth paste, but it was the sealant that really helped. I was so PO'd I was never offered this sooner by other dentists I had.
But then again it was incompetent dentists in the past that is now costing me lost teeth, bridges, crowns, much pain and a small fortune to correct. I'd like to go and remove some of their teeth with my fist
Take care and good luck

Closed Thread