It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 06:12 AM   #1
(female)

janewd HB User
Extractions-Abcesses-Tomorrow :(

Hi,

Tomorrow I'm going to have 11 teeth extracted, 5 on top, 6 on the bottom. At that time they said they will be putting in partials. I am terrified beyond terrified. I mean really really scared. They are going to give me general anesthia (sp) and I'm afraid I'm not going to wake up (32 year smoker) and/or come to during the process and not be able to tell them and feel everything, which would drive me that final step over the bend. I'm shaking right now I'm so scared.

Some of the other things that are scaring me:

One abcess is above my right front tooth, that has a crown on it and got infected and has been for a very long time. Well the infection is huge and almost got into my sinus cavity and has hit the bone. Yike.

I have receding gums on the bottom two front teeth that has turned black and those teeth are coming out but what scares me is, what happens to the black gums when the teeth are removed? Do they cut that stuff off at the time? Or do they just stitch over it? YUCK!

And they said they are putting on partials right away? That doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't the gums need time to heal? And why put temps on until the perms are done? I mean sure esthetic reasons but if the patient doesn't care about that why do it? I mean they not only want to put these partials on immediately after the extractions but ready for this, they want me to come back the NEXT day to remove the partials and do whatever. YIKE YIKE!!

And the worst of all, this dentist office SUCKS and there isn't a darned thing I can do about it.

1) When I told them I didnt' want partials (too much money) they said well the oral surgeon won't do the extractions without doing to partials at the same time and if I don't like to find another oral surgeon. Yes they said those exact words.
2) I have smoked for 32 years out of my 41 so my teeth aren't exactly white. Well after they did the impressions this past Monday for the op tomorrow they were comparing fake tooth colors to the teeth I"m going to have left and they were yellow, so I say to them, "your giving me yellow teeth?" and the one lady said, "well we could give you brown". I mean come on here what kind of bedside manner is that.
3) None of these people can look me in the eye.
4) When I asked what kind of stitches they use after the extractions (disolvable or the other) the lady flippantly says they use whichever they prefer. Don't I have any say in that?
5) I have never met the oral surgeon who is doing the surgery tomorrow, we live in PA and apparently this guy comes over 2 days a week from Manhattan to do oral surgery. This scares me. I don't know this guy from Adam.
6) This is not MY plan to deal with these teeth. Were it up to me I would have 2 pulled at a time and then have the perms put on after I'm all healed up. That way the cost I could cover and I wouldn't have to be terrified of going under, etc..... But they said this guy won't do just 2 teeth. UGH!

To cut this off a little cause it's getting a little long- This has to be done tomorrow- I'm scared so much - and I have no idea what to do.

But bottom line I feel like if they don't take these teeth out I"m a goner.

Does anyone have any advice for me. Please?

ps, I have no insurance and the only way I could see this dentist was through a dentist credit company (which all these procedures tomorrow are going to cost me 285 bucks a month- which means I lose my car but I feel like my teeth and gums are killing me-truthfully I've been having terrible physical health for a year and half now and I know it's the teeth). Not to mention the sharp head- jaw and neck pains. It's obvious I need help but YIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance for any help. It is much appreciated.

[Do not use cuss/slang words. Please read more about this and the other rules by clicking the "Posting Policy above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 03-19-2008 at 07:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
(female)

konamom HB User
Re: Extractions-Abcesses-Tomorrow :(

Wow. My advice to you is to find another dentist/oral surgeon IMMEDIATELY. I had to have 9 extractions, but I did them over 4 appointments. My dentist suggested allowing my gums to heal and shrink for 3 months BEFORE getting the partials. The reason for this is that you'll have a better fit with less adjustments. I don't think you have anything to worry about, but we always do. You'll come through it just fine, but I don't like the way you're being treated by this doctor. Why don't you call around and speak to some other offices? Let them know exactly what this guy said. Nobody deserves to be treated this way, and if you have ANY doubts about this doctor, RUN! Is it that bad to keep your teeth for a few more days until you find someone that you trust?
Peace,
Susan

Old 03-19-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
(female)

janewd HB User
Re: Extractions-Abcesses-Tomorrow :(

Hi Susan,

Thank you for replying. I would sincerely love to see another dentist. Any other dentist. But I have to go with this one because they are the only dentist in our area who offers this kind of coverage. Costly but coverage. They give you a credit card from the coverage place and then you pay off that. Which sucks to the nth. No other oral surgeon here takes this special credit card. It's either I go through with this tomorrow (YIKE) or probably have to get it done in the er. That kind of scares me even more because the ers here suck just as bad as the dentist or possibly worse. Ugh. I am sooo scared.

I'm not 100% on the severity of my issues, but, I know I have abcesses and black gums. And I have chest pains, pain shooting down my neck, swollen right side of the face and all kinds of pains in my head. Mostly on the right side- temple and jaw but some on the left as well. They're mostly shooting pains but they are severe. Not sure I should wait. {{{shaking}}}

Thank you again.

Closed Thread