It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
(male)

bobshotme HB User
Is it safe to swallow part of a filling?

I think i just swallowed part of my tooth filling, its not metal but the kind that looks like the tooth.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: Is it safe to swallow part of a filling?

Don't worry about it...it will pass.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
(male)

bobshotme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnD View Post
Don't worry about it...it will pass.
Ok good, thanks for the help I worry too much about things like this.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
(male)

bobshotme HB User

Ok, i thought it was the same color as my tooth, but i just looked at it and it was silverish looking....is that dangerous then? I guess he just used tooth colored filling on my front tooth and possibly silver in the back of my mouth.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Actually it is not safe. The amalgam fillings (silver) contain quite a bit of MERCURY. It is mind blowing that we indeed put mercury into out mouths and most people still do not question this practice. Mercury is a very toxic heavy metal and it is released your from fillings daily and goes into your body causing all sorts of health issues that you may not be aware of ir think this silver filling could be causing it. Please do some research on these fillings and you will see for yourself. I have several silver fillings from when I was a child and I plan on getting them replaced with porcelan fillings within the next couple of years. They can only remove one or two at a time and the vapors coming from the removal of these fillings can have very damaging effects. The reason you can only have one or two removed at a time is because you have to detox and load up on vitamins and minerals to keep your body healthy from the mercury. What is put into the mouth is NOT SAFE for the body. I highly encourage you to look this up. A doctor I know has permanant kidney damage from removing a silver filling because the dentist didn't take proper safety precautions.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

There is a continuous release of low doses of elemental mercury vapor from amalgam restorations.
Gum chewing and bruxism may cause the release of high levels of mercury vapor and mercury ions from dental amalgam restorations.
The mercury release is caused by the removal of an oxide layer from the surface of amalgam restorations. The mercury which is released enters the body by breathing the mercury vapor, and by swallowing the dissolved mercury.
About 50 percent of the fillings weight is MERCURY. If you swallowed this then it may very well effect you.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
(male)

bobshotme HB User

Thanks for the help but i called my dentist yesterday and he said they do not use mercury in their fillings anymore..... I was scared for a little while though.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

If it was a silver filling it contains mercury. Many doctors play it off and lead you to believe it is okay or safe otherwise it wouldn't be used, but that simply is not true. Please just look up the information on your own so you know.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:56 PM   #9
(female)

bocmember01 HB User

The American Dental Association states that amalgam is a safe and effective restorative material. As to your question, I wouldn't say it's safe to swallow anything that's not intended for digestion, but as previous poster said "it will pass".

Old 03-31-2008, 11:36 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

I agree with poster that said this too shall pass....believe me
we swallow enough mercury on a daily basis, i can not see where a part of a filling that has been in your mouth for years is going to affect your digestive tract to any great extent. The only reason to get a amalgam filling out is if it is leaking otherwise they are safe until the doc finds decay underneath,
and then make sure the resoration is a crown, if needed or a porcelain inlay....Karen

Old 04-01-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Of course the dental association says amalgams are safe, you have to not reply on what they say and think outside of the box yourself. If about 50% of the amalgams weight is mercury....well look up mercury. Mercury is a toxic heavy metal. Look it up.

Closed Thread