It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User
Getting Used to Partials

My story is long and involved, so I will not tell the whole thing, but suffice it to say that due to complications with teeth and partials I have been without molars for the last eight months resulting in TMJ and other issues.

I received my new partials last week and I must say that they are really pretty good. There have been some things to resolve such as sore spots and some areas being too tight. My dentist and I are working to correct those.

As good as these are, I am still finding it hard to get used to them. Certainly do not feel like ones own teeth and while I am delighted to chew again, it is not without tenderness in areas and some discomfort.

I am very interested to know how many have partials and how long it took for your mouth to get used to them. Was it a matter of weeks? Did your gums have to get stronger before you forgot about wearing them? Did it take awhile to resolve all the issues such as sore spots? Did you ever get used to them? Did you make repeat visits to the dentist before things felt good again? I have had some very bad experiences with partials - standard and valplast so I admit to being more sensitive than most, but I would really like to hear experiences from others. Let me add that I have a great dentist who is doing everything he can to make me comfortable. I sometimes wonder if I am so focused on my mouth at this point that I have a hard time letting go and just letting things be for awhile. My mouth is so tired from the extractions, the pain, the TMJ, etc. that I don't know if I, and my mind, are giving them a good enough chance.

Thank you so much for any responses.

glowing4

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User
Re: Getting Used to Partials

I do not have partial denture experience but I do have experience adapting to full dentures. Part of the sensation you have right now is due to the fact that your teeth have been missing for quite a while. Not only does that space become a very prominent feature in your mouth but it changes the way your mouth and jaws relate. In time this sensation will go away. Also your tongue has not had to share space with the foreign invaders. That is a big change too.
The tightness is normal and false teeth will never feel quite the same as real teeth did, you are very fortunate to have some natural teeth left to anchor the dentures.

I hope this helps-

Sandy

Old 04-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Oh yes, it does indeed help! Thank you so, so much for replying and answering some questions. I really appreciate it. And, yes, I do know that I am fortunate that I have some natural teeth to anchor them to.

Just knowing what I have been through these last eight months gives me some knowledge, if not all, of what you have been through. I am so sorry that you have had to deal with full dentures. It is amazing isn't it how much teeth add to our quality of life.

Thank you so very much for responding. You have no idea what it means to me.

Have a great weekend!

glowing4

Old 04-05-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
(female)

konamom HB User

Hey stranger! How are you doing? I hope things are getting easier for you and that you're getting used to the new partials. I've got a root canal and crown on Tuesday, but still haven't had a chance to talk to the dentist about the partials. I'll keep you posted! Enjoy your weekend!
Peace,
Susan

Old 04-05-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Hey back! It has been a week and a half and I am still getting used to these. Going to take awhile longer I think as my mouth and gums get used to everything. And, they are helping, I think, to get my jaw back in line and help the TMJ. All of that is going to take time, and by the end of the day my mouth is pretty tired and achy. All in all, I am pretty happy with them and wow, I can chew! I am eating things that I haven't in months like corn on the cob, salad, stew, and yes to my pure delight-icecream sandwhiches!!!!

Sorry you are going through more dental work. Do let me know when you talk to your dentist about your partials and what you decide. Are you just eating soft things right now? I sure know what that is like!

Have a good weekend too and good luck on Tuesday. I'll be thinking of you.

glowing4

Old 04-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
(female)

konamom HB User

I'm glad to hear it! No, I'm eating everything like I did before! The only thing I'm not eating is popcorn!! I'm just using my remaining teeth Believe it or not, I'm not dreading the root canal. I never thought I'd say that, but my life has been so crazy for the past month that I'm actually looking forward to being away from the world for 3 hours tomorrow. No doorbells, no cell phone, no nothing! I must be going nuts! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. By the way, the dentist is HIGHLY recommending Valplast. Uh oh...
Peace,
Susan

Old 04-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

What teeth did you lose? Were they molars? If so, be careful not to chew too much on those front teeth - that is what helped create my TMJ. The sooner you get those partials the better.

I am sure your dentist is encouraging the Valplast. Many dentists think they are the best thing. For some people they seem to work well. From what I understand, they are harder to get adjusted in the beginning, but then work great. For me, it was a mess. They tend to slip sideways and I needed something firmer in my mouth than that. And, trying to get them to fit and work was a nightmare! However, you need to do what is right for you and with your dentist's guidance. Don't focus too much on the cosmetic, although that is important, but on rather what is going to help you eat correctly and well. The other thing with Valplast is they are very difficult, if not impossible to repair and add to, so cost becomes an issue.

Good luck tomorrow, and do let me know what you decide. So far these partials are working good for me despite needing some adjustments which are easy to do. Sorry life has been crazy, but wow, that does come at us doesn't it?????

glowing4

Old 04-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
(female)

konamom HB User

A quick update...I had the root canal from hell. I was in the dentists chair from 8:00 until 12:40. No, I'm not kidding Lord have mercy...leave it to me to have "the most difficult" root canal he'd ever seen. When I thought we were almost done the dentist tells me that there's an "obstruction" in the last canal. They tried for almost 30 minutes to get it out, but no luck. Well, the obstruction was a piece of the file that had broken off. Lucky me! To make a long story, and I do mean lllooonnnggg, we left the piece in there and sealed the darn thing up! He assured me that there was almost no chance that I'd have any problem as the canal was thoroughly cleaned prior to the piece breaking off. Well, that wasn't good enough for me so I started researching and called an Endodontist! Here's what I found online:

"A file may break. The tip of a file may break off inside the tooth. Usually, it's possible to leave the piece in the tooth and finish the root canal. But if the cleaning of the canal has not been finished, the file piece may have to be removed. Sometimes this can be done from the top of the tooth. However, in some cases, the file can only be removed through a surgical procedure called an apicoectomy. A small incision is made in the gum to access the root of the tooth, and the portion of the root containing the file piece is removed."

On another site it said that this happens ALL the time, but that people don't hear about it because the doctor doesn't tell them!!!!!!!! The good news? I have an honest dentist! We talked about Valplast and he said, "No way". Thank goodness! He's had almost no success with them and won't recommend them. The other dentist in the practice likes them. Okay...must run. Hope you are well and I'll talk to you soon!
Peace,
Susan

Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, I am so sorry you had such a terrible time and so hope you are feeling better today. Wow, amazing isn't it to think the ends of the files get left in!!! I hope it causes you no further problems and that the tooth feels lots better. Wow! What an ordeal! I always feel that way too when it comes to the dentist - who but me would have THIS experience!!!

I am glad your dentist said no to the Valplast. I am getting used to my partials. A few more minor adjustments to go, but I am getting there. I think you will find the same when you get them, and it sure isn't worth the money and the time to get things that are not going to work. It certainly wasn't for me.

Take care and let me know how you are and what your next step is. I will help all that I can.

glowing4

Old 11-22-2009, 11:53 PM   #10
(female)

susie2000 HB User

I have only seven teeth of my own on my bottom, so five years ago I had a partial made for both ends (one single partial). I tried for months to use the partial and could not get rid of the pain! I wore them consistently for three to four months and it never got better. Then I did use them weekly or so on a monthly basis. It was horrible. The dentist (who I loved) was very patient with trying to fit them properly. He also told me the bottom partial is always the worst of the two to get used to; (top partials are easier to wear). But the pain never stopped and I gave up! He didn't even charge me for them because he said it was a product I can't use. Why should I charge you?

Ok, so then I found another great dentist because of location. He insisted that he would be able to fit me into new partials on the bottom. Once again, same exact problem. He tried to fit them several times also, but with no luck. The only thing I can think of is that I have fibromyalgia and are there tender points in the mouth that the partials are pressing on? It seems kind of off-the-wall, but I can't figure anything else out. If I chew with food, food gets under the partial on both sides and I have to go to the restroom every time to take out the partial and rinse. It's embarrassing in a public restroom. But if that were the only problem, I would use them. It's more the constant pain and I know they are in there all of the time. The pain never goes away. Now I am trying to think of another way of fillng in the bottom; i.e., two impants on each side and maybe a permanent bridge. I don't know if that is something that can be done and I am afraid of the pain again. I read an article about putting studs on and then you put the partial on top of that and it stabilizes the partial. I feel like they are floating. I have no teeth at all to clip onto in the back so that may be the problem. I am soooo self-conscious of having all of these teeth missing when I talk and smile. And I am a person who smiles often, but now I kind of cover my mouth.

I hope you have better luck. My mom has had hers (same exact teeth missing and same partial) for 30 years and has no complaints and never did. So some people can wear them and get used to them in a month and others just can't. I don't want to sound like it can't work because I know other people have had no problem. Hang in there because 1 1/2 weeks still is not long enough at all for them to settle and feel comfortable.

Anybody with suggestions or different options that are not outrageously priced, I would love to hear!

Thanks for letting me vent
Susie2000

Old 05-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #11
(male)

JC59 HB User

I am curious about how you are adjusting to your partial dentures. I will be having some extractions this summer and then I will be getting partial uppers and lowers. Because of some of your experiences, I will definitely be getting the standard metal partials. How long before you can eat regular food? Also, do you know how long metal partials are supposed to last? Thank you for any information that you can provide.

JC59

Last edited by JC59; 05-04-2010 at 07:07 AM.

Closed Thread