It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
(female)

angelinahope HB User
Anyone experienced chronic ear aches and headeaches after dental work?

In the last month, I've had dental work (fillings, temporary crown, cleaning & scaling), and now I've been plague with severe ear aches, migraines and jaw pain that have been on and off for a month. It's unbearable. Has anyone experienced this after dental work? I told my dentist who advised me to take ibuprofen, but the chronic pain returns. I told him I think I have a disorder called TMJ (temporomandibular disorder). Anyone with experience, especially those who have gone through this or dental practitioners, etc., please respond. Is there a fix?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2008, 12:59 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User
Re: Anyone experienced chronic ear aches and headeaches after dental work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinahope View Post
In the last month, I've had dental work (fillings, temporary crown, cleaning & scaling), and now I've been plague with severe ear aches, migraines and jaw pain that have been on and off for a month. It's unbearable. Has anyone experienced this after dental work? I told my dentist who advised me to take ibuprofen, but the chronic pain returns. I told him I think I have a disorder called TMJ (temporomandibular disorder). Anyone with experience, especially those who have gone through this or dental practitioners, etc., please respond. Is there a fix?
well,your nose throat and ears, are all connected,so it is possible after dental work ,to be suffering headaches etc
hopefully not for too long though and a few iburfurin tablets should help
but if it continues after about 3 days ,i would go to your doctors
could be sinus trouble?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

It could be a temporary tmj flareup due to having your mouth wide open for an extended period on numerous occasions. Try some warm moist compresses - like wrapping a warm wet towel around your jaw, ears and head or a heating pad and leaving it there for 10 mins, remove it and then repeat after 10 mins - do it for an hour. If you see no relief or it seems to make the pain feel more intense than try ice packs instead of the heat. Limit your diet to soft foods for a few days - no heavy or vigorous chewing or biting into anything and limit how much food you put in your mouth and take little bites - do not over extend your mouth opening for several days. Try aleve (naproxyn or naprosyn) - take 2-4 for at least a week or 2 - it builds up in the system so it may take 2-3 days before you know if it is working or not for you. Most flareups resolve themselves as the body heals - if it lingers for more than a month you may then want to seek treatment such as a nightguard or splint or using muscle relaxants. Also, since your neck may be strained as well (from lying on your back with your mouth open for extended periods) a chiro may be of some help as well.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
(female)

ami68 HB User

hi there!! I get an awful migraine every time I visit the dentist. actually, it happens after the Novocaine. but I can live with it, I just take lots of advil before and after i go, I would rather deal with that pain, instead of feeling the drill going into my tooth!! and also, My jaw feels wicked sore afterward too. good excuse for milkshakes!!

Closed Thread