It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
(male)

stevetobias HB User
Wisdom teeth - 2 out or all 4? help

I have no dental insurance or anything that will cover oral surgery, but I'm getting some (not serious) pain from my bottom left wisdom tooth. I went for a consultation about a week ago and the doctor said I'd need my bottom two wisdom teeth removed, but that "we should do all four." Now, my top two wisdom teeth have already grown in and haven't given me any problems at all. He said that if my bottom two teeth were removed my top two might slide down eventually, and that it's best to remove them now. I also read that the roots of the teeth will grow, which will make it harder to remove them later on if I wait. In the mean time, it's costing me like $1600 for my bottom two teeth but $2500 for all four. I can hardly afford $1600, so $2500 would definitely put me into debt. Does anyone recommend any course of action? I think it's possible that the doctor assumes that all his patients have insurance, so it's best to just recommend doing all four teeth whenever appropriate (since we don't need wisdom teeth anyway). I keep my top two wisdom teeth clean and they don't give me any problems. Will they certainly be a problem later on? Does anyone have a row of two wisdom teeth with no problems? Thanks!

Old 04-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
(male)

dave2929ab HB User
Re: Wisdom teeth - 2 out or all 4? help

I STRONGLY recommend keeping the wisdom teeth that are not bothering you. If you have not experienced a problem with the top two, leave them in.

I wish I had left mine in. My doctor botched the removal of my upper two wisdom teeth and had to enter my sinus to retrieve pieces of tooth. The damage to my sinuses and gums are significant and permanent.

In other words, if they aren't causing a problem, they aren't worth the risk to remove.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
(male)

stevetobias HB User

Thanks Dave, I think I might follow your advice. How old you were when you had them removed? I'm 25 right now, from the x-ray it didn't seem like the top ones were near my sinuses but who knows.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
(male)

dave2929ab HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetobias View Post
Thanks Dave, I think I might follow your advice. How old you were when you had them removed? I'm 25 right now, from the x-ray it didn't seem like the top ones were near my sinuses but who knows.
I'm 27 and had them removed a few months ago. The potential for sinus involvement should be enough for anyone to think twice about having teeth removed that are not causing a problem.

But I think your cost savings alone is reason enough!

Old 04-15-2008, 01:24 AM   #5
(female)

charlottefr HB User

steve, I agree with dave...if your other wisdom teeth aren't giving you problems and are healthy, then you definitely have the option to leave them alone and to ask your regular dentist to monitor them at each checkup.

I understand that your lower left wisdom tooth was giving you slight problems so if nothing else can be done to rectify the problem then extraction of that tooth is probably necessary. But what was the reason you were given to have the other lower one removed?

Removing wisdom teeth is a pretty good money maker. If ten patients a year have four wisdom tooth removed, that totals $25,000. If fifty patients a year have four removed, that is $125,000/year - just from these "four wisdom tooth" extractions alone. Unfortunately, people like Dave and me are examples of what complications can happen with wisdom tooth extractions. I have paresthesia from a wisdom tooth extraction in January.

Last edited by charlottefr; 04-15-2008 at 11:50 AM.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
(male)

giroux55 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Wisdom teeth - 2 out or all 4? help

Had both bottom and one top wisdom teeth out at once but the dentist diddnt want to chance the last one because it was too close to the nasal cavity. That was almost 10 years ago now and so far the one they left hasnt had any issues.

Closed Thread