It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
(male)

bhardman HB User
Wisdom tooth. Filling vs extraction.

Hi,

I have (what feels like) a large hole in my lower right hand wisdom tooth. Went to visit my dentist yesterday who has taken Xrays and had a look at it and now have an appointment to go back in a few weeks to do something about it. He said that I have two options, either fill it or extract it but he indicated a preference for extraction. I'm not entirely sure myself and he won't give a solid recommendation until he has a complete view of the damage to my tooth.

To be honest I'm not sure which way to go as the descision lies with me. If I decide to get it filled it may still decay and have to have it extracted under more difficult circumstances later. At the same time the idea of bone being shaved from my jaw and the possibility of nerve damage doesn't fill me with confidence either. I also have the option of a local or general aneasthetic if I opt to have the tooth out. Is it painful at all during the procedure if you are awake? (I know afterwards it won't be pleasent but I'm concerned with during).

It should be noted that all of my wisdom teeth have come through fine and cause me no trouble except for the one that has decayed.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
(female)

tazzybear31 HB User
Re: Wisdom tooth. Filling vs extraction.

i had all of my wisdom teeth pulled out plus one tooth in the front. should my chin still be numb and my face swollen? my poor tounge keeps getting bit because the front tooth next to the one that was pulled is sharp.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
(female)

bocmember01 HB User

If all four wisdom teeth erupted in good position and occlude well then I'd be inclined to have the decayed one filled. I wouldn't worry so much about re-decay and the need to extract at a later date. It's not inevitable the filled wisdom tooth will re-decay.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:49 AM   #4
(female)

charlottefr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzybear31 View Post
i had all of my wisdom teeth pulled out plus one tooth in the front. should my chin still be numb and my face swollen? my poor tounge keeps getting bit because the front tooth next to the one that was pulled is sharp.
How long has it been since you had your wisdom teeth extracted?

Old 04-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
(female)

tazzybear31 HB User

i had them pulled out last wed.

Closed Thread