It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 07:11 AM   #1
(male)

mtlguyca HB User
Do I need to do a root canal?

Hello all,

I need your help!
I went to see a new dentist yesterday and he found that I have tooth decay on one of my teeth....I wouldnt say its a small one but it didnt reach the pulp and it never / doesnt hurt!

My dentist wants to do a root canal tomorrow and he said that there is a 25% chance he can save it without root canal!

Do you guys think he is fooling me? I got no pain or anything why he cant just drill it and put a filling in it?

Thanks, im trying to avoid the root canal!

Old 04-23-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User
Re: Do I need to do a root canal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlguyca View Post
Hello all,

I need your help!
I went to see a new dentist yesterday and he found that I have tooth decay on one of my teeth....I wouldnt say its a small one but it didnt reach the pulp and it never / doesnt hurt!

My dentist wants to do a root canal tomorrow and he said that there is a 25% chance he can save it without root canal!

Do you guys think he is fooling me? I got no pain or anything why he cant just drill it and put a filling in it?

Thanks, im trying to avoid the root canal!
must admit in my experience unless it is hurting you, they dont normally like doing a root canal?
it is possible ,once drilling into the tooth to sort out the decay it could hit a nerve or damage it
but i would of though IMO ,that he would only do the root canal if damage was done to the nerve while drilling the tooth?

i could be wrong as im not a dentist ,just had loads treatment and root canals etc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
(female)

bocmember01 HB User
Re: Do I need to do a root canal?

There has to be an indication for root canal so I doubt your dentist just wants to do root canal. It must be that the decay is significant and the likelihood is you'll need root canal, but there is that 25% chance the tooth can be restored without it. An x-ray may show the decay hasn't reached the pulp, but clinically it may already be there. Remember, x-rays are static snapshots that are two-dimensional. A pulp horn that's in front or behind the decay on the film can be violated already. I'd trust the dentist to do what's best.

Closed Thread