It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
(male)

Alex100 HB User
Tooth pain and jaw pain after cavity fill

Hello everyone,

first time poster here...

First off, let me say that I love these boards. The people responding truly have some great insight and advice. I'm hoping to hear what your opinions are on my issue.
-----------------
So about 2 weeks ago I had two cavities filled (right side, molars) one on the bottom and one on the top, right on top of each other.

The top tooth is great. I feel nothing and I can eat on it without problems.

The bottom tooth is giving me problems

I've had cavities filled before, and I know that the tooth can hurt for a bit and that it may feel like heavy pressure when you bite on it for the first few days. It can also be sensitive to hot/cold and what not until the nerves settle down etc etc...

It's been two weeks and my tooth is still sensitive to hot/cold food/drinks. The cavity was on the front of the tooth, in between the teeth (where you floss) and my gum is still sensitive to touch.

Also, ever since I had it filled, I keep getting massive amounts of food in there that I have to floss after every meal. I've never had full strings of salad stuck below my gums, but now I have to carefully floss to get any food out pretty much after every meal.

Is the gum inflammation a possible reason for this? Was there a pocket that never went back down (attached back to the tooth) after a wedge was placed?

Also, the right side of the jaw, on the back where the joints are, is now constantly in pain as if I have a pinched nerve. I can't open/close my mouth with a straight bite without feeling some nerve pain.

Is it possible that during the cavity fill, I had my mouth opened for so long, that I might have pinched/displaced the nerve myself? If so, how can this be undone? It's very uncomfortable and it hurts when I bite food on that side of my mouth.

Would you recommend that I contact the dentist's office about it?

Thank you for any thoughts.

Much appreciative,
Alex.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User
Re: Tooth pain and jaw pain after cavity fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex100 View Post
Hello everyone,

first time poster here...

First off, let me say that I love these boards. The people responding truly have some great insight and advice. I'm hoping to hear what your opinions are on my issue.
-----------------
So about 2 weeks ago I had two cavities filled (right side, molars) one on the bottom and one on the top, right on top of each other.

The top tooth is great. I feel nothing and I can eat on it without problems.

The bottom tooth is giving me problems

I've had cavities filled before, and I know that the tooth can hurt for a bit and that it may feel like heavy pressure when you bite on it for the first few days. It can also be sensitive to hot/cold and what not until the nerves settle down etc etc...

It's been two weeks and my tooth is still sensitive to hot/cold food/drinks. The cavity was on the front of the tooth, in between the teeth (where you floss) and my gum is still sensitive to touch.

Also, ever since I had it filled, I keep getting massive amounts of food in there that I have to floss after every meal. I've never had full strings of salad stuck below my gums, but now I have to carefully floss to get any food out pretty much after every meal.

Is the gum inflammation a possible reason for this? Was there a pocket that never went back down (attached back to the tooth) after a wedge was placed?

Also, the right side of the jaw, on the back where the joints are, is now constantly in pain as if I have a pinched nerve. I can't open/close my mouth with a straight bite without feeling some nerve pain.

Is it possible that during the cavity fill, I had my mouth opened for so long, that I might have pinched/displaced the nerve myself? If so, how can this be undone? It's very uncomfortable and it hurts when I bite food on that side of my mouth.

Would you recommend that I contact the dentist's office about it?

Thank you for any thoughts.

Much appreciative,
Alex.

i really do sympathise with you i know pain ,suffering at moment
try gargling hot salt water (obviously not too hot)
try that for a few days ,see how it goes,then try cordysil ,but not every day as it discolours your teeth
also try sensative tooth paste see if that makes it any better ,but if not you will have to go back to dentist ,.as maybe treatment might of triggered off a nerve?

you can get interbrushes which does the same as flossing ,might help as i find flossing can sometimes cut your gums,and if sensative at moment might be aggrivating the gums

well good luck i hope it helps you?

Old 04-25-2008, 10:08 PM   #3
(female)

soliloquy HB User

You should go back to your dentist have request to have the filling redone. It is very important to establish a tight enough contact between the tooth with the cavity and the one next to it so food won't get caught like yours is doing. Your dentist did not get good contact when placing the new filling. Having food constantly jam in there will lead to gum problems and could cause a periodontal pocket which in turn could compromise the tooth's longevity.

The pain in your joint could possibly have been caused by the injection. It should clear up. You might want to apply a warm compress to loosen the muscle. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
(male)

Alex100 HB User

I just wanted to close the thread by reporting what happened.

I went to the dentist and talked to her about the issues. She scheduled an appointment to refill the cavity.

When she looked at it closely, she saw that the reason was indeed too much space between the cavity filling and the next tooth. She fixed it

The pain in the jaw also went away after I took a few advils (right after the refill) and the numbing shot might have helped relax it too.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
It's been almost a week and I'm sooooooooo glad I went back to have it checked out.

Thank you.

Closed Thread