It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2008, 07:36 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Hutch1ns HB User
Dentist wants me to get 6 teeth (4 wisdom) removed, bad idea?

Hey all,

A couple months ago I started having some teeth problems again. About 7-8 years ago I had braces on my top teeth and a clear mouthguard over my bottom teeth 24/7. Had 0 cavities before that, 2 years later I had a large cavities in every tooth except my top front two. All 4 bottom front teeth are about 90% fillings. I had every single tooth filled, including one big root canal in my left bottom 2nd molar. My teeth were fine and looked great for about 5 years after that but now that I'm almost 21 my teeth are starting to look and feel awful again. My top wisdom teeth erupted about 4 months ago and a couple months ago I lost huge fillings in my top 2nd molars (I'm talking atleast half the size of the teeth.) I didn't get them fixed and now they are disgusting looking and completely decayed. They've hurt pretty badly for awhile now too. My bottom wisdom teeth came in fine and those erupted about a year ago. There is sufficient room on the bottom for them. None of my wisdom teeth are impacted, although the top ones are high and facing the back about 20 degrees. One of my bottom front teeth (the 90% filling ones) broke about 6 months ago when I took a stick in the mouth in hockey. Now the tooth is beyond repairable, according to my dentist (although only about a spec of real tooth came out, it was the core of the tooth and necessary to fill it again.) He referred me to an Oral Surgeon after seeing my X-Rays and recommended extracting 7 teeth! All 4 wisdom, the two top 2nd molars and the front bottom one. I asked him why the bottom wisdom teeth and he said "Well you might as well get them out too while you're at it, since you don't really need them."

The question is, do I or don't I need them? Most people don't need them, but someone like me who only has a few teeth without cavities I think I do need them. I'm having my top 2nd molars extracted, won't the wisdom teeth shift forward in their place? I get the feeling that my Dentist thinks that I don't take care of my teeth, but to be honest I've brushed them at MINIMUM twice a day since I got all my teeth fixed about 6 years ago. Every morning/afternoon right when I wake up and every night right before I go to bed. I can't smoke a cigarette until I've brushed my teeth in the morning.

Should I get the wisdom teeth out or should I do the wait and see approach? They're all erupted and none are impacted and none have cavities. The tops should shift forward because the 2nd molar's infront of them are being extracted (those I know have to go, they've hurt like hell for more than a month and look disgusting.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

P.S I'll be getting the full anesthesia regardless of how many teeth I get pulled. I have an extremely narrow mouth and my gag reflux is pretty bad. It hurt like hell getting the X-Rays done because my mouth is so narrow!

P.S.S If none of my teeth are impacted, is the recovery period less painful and shortened?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2008, 04:57 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User
Re: Dentist wants me to get 6 teeth (4 wisdom) removed, bad idea?

hi ,i think to start with ,i get the decayed teeth sorted out ,first and the wisdom teeth that are actually affecting and hurting at moment .
worry about the other wisdom teeth at a later date ,there isnt any rush ,if they are not causing any problems !!

dont let the dentist bully you, into treatment your not happy with ?
thats why i am in a state i am in now ,because i put a lot of trust in dentist i had ,even though i wasnt quite sure it was right for me? if i listened to my instinct ,i wouldnt or rather my teeth wouldnt be in mess they are in

dont rush just get most important teeth sorted to get out of pain
then go from there

Closed Thread