It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User
In need of denture/partial support

I have had my new partials - top and bottom molars - for about a month now. During that time I have had to go back repeatedly for adjustments. We are getting there, but I don't think we are done yet! I am getting discouraged even though I try not to, but this going back and back does get discouraging, not to mention the pain and aching. They actually were made by a very good lab and my dentist is excellent and very kind. I would just like to know if others have had this. Did it take some time to get them right? How about the time to get used to them? I don't want to feel like a wimp, but I am sure they are not supposed to hurt - often feels like my gums are caught between a vice!

Thanks for any help, encouragement, or advise.

glowing4

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2008, 05:08 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User
Re: In need of denture/partial support

Getting dentures of any sort take a huge amount of patience- both on you the patients part and that of the dentist. It sounds like your dentist is doing a great job for you. They have to make the adjustments in small incriments so they can determine when to stop. In addition to getting used to wearing the dentures- just having them in your mouth is a big change then add learning to chew with them, all things that are mastered over time. I forget how long your teeth had been out but that too is an adjustment and just when you probably got used to having missing teeth back there, they introduce those foreign plastic and metal monsters.

I wear full upper and lower dentures and got them right after my last tooth was extracted so I had to deal with extraction pain, the fullness and bulkiness of the dentures and all of the emotional impact of the procedures and the thought of the future with false teeth. It is a huge change for anyone undergoing this. You are doing better than you think!

Sandy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
(female)

plc HB User

Hey pot hole buddy, I just read your post,sounds like you got covers. I hope for your sake they are getting better. The mouth is a tender place, and if something is off a 1/8 of inch,(this includes real teeth as well as dentures) the mouth lets us know real fast. One dentist told me the mouth is the only place, where pain is pain. There is no way you are a wimp! after all you have been though, I would give you a medal. I know you must be tired of soft food or Magic bullet meals, but you are almost there...I know you can do it. Thinking of good chewing thoughts for you

Old 05-15-2008, 05:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Thank you so much Sandybeech. That was so kind of you to share your story and to offer such encouragement. And, plc how are you??? What is happening with you and your partials? I have been waiting to hear what is happening and how you are doing. I hope things are moving along great.

I am doing much better. I was getting so embarrassed going back and back to the dentist, and as kind as he is, I think last week he was getting a little frustrated. Said I had a sensitive mouth. Well, yeh, after everything it has been through!! But, I think we are almost there and I am not going back for awhile and will see how things go. The thing I find the most now is that my mouth is so tired by the end of the day and when things get too hard I take them out for a little while and let everything relax. The good news is that I can EAT again. What a joy that is and I still marvel when I can eat all those things people take for granted. Wow, to put lobster in my mouth again was a special treat!

Plc, stay in touch and I am here if you need support when you get yours. Sandybeech, thanks so, so much for being there. Both of you have helped more than you know.

glowing4

Old 05-16-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
(female)

plc HB User

Hi glowing4, I wish I knew where to begin with my problems. discourge at times, I seeing the dentist every 3 months. at the present time they can not,fit me for partials. Where the teeth were pulled,the remaining tooth has a nerve exposed,on both sides of my mouth. Some days I do not not notice it,others I want to scream. The only cure is more surgery, and there is a 30% it will not work. I would like better odds. My dentist tells me the other cure is to pull more teeth,then the partials. I would like to keep what I got. So when I go for a cleaning, they have give me novicane just to clean the bottom half of my mouth. On the days that the nerve is "in an up roar" I use a rinse for about 2 days every three hours,and eat very soft food. The rinse is a prescription,along with prescription toothpaste. It took three letters from my dentist,before insurance would at least cover some of the cost. I'm fighting a battle to keep would I have, eating at times is a problem, but I still holding on to what I got....Right now I'm in pain, I eat some chips at work,haven't had them in a few months, they were goood......was it worth it?? In a small way yes, I was normal for a few mintues...So thats my story. I'm hanging in there as long as I can....

Old 05-16-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Oh my goodness plc, I am so, so sorry. What teeth are we talking about? Molars? If they are molars wouldn't it be worth it to get a few more pulled, especially where the nerve is exposed? That must be so painful and I really feel for you. Your mouth is such a sensitive place and you have been through so much already. I understand about hanging on to the teeth you have, but is the pain and not being able to eat really worth it? I have lost all my molars, top and bottom, and it was eight months without them, but I can tell you that once you get the partials and they are adjusted right that life does get more back to normal. Sure, they never feel like your own, but eating becomes a joy again.

I am thinking of you and please keep me informed of what happens and how you are doing. I am sending lots of good thoughts your way with a great deal of understanding.

glowing4

Old 11-23-2009, 01:02 AM   #7
(female)

susie2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowing4 View Post
Oh my goodness plc, I am so, so sorry. What teeth are we talking about? Molars? If they are molars wouldn't it be worth it to get a few more pulled, especially where the nerve is exposed? That must be so painful and I really feel for you. Your mouth is such a sensitive place and you have been through so much already. I understand about hanging on to the teeth you have, but is the pain and not being able to eat really worth it? I have lost all my molars, top and bottom, and it was eight months without them, but I can tell you that once you get the partials and they are adjusted right that life does get more back to normal. Sure, they never feel like your own, but eating becomes a joy again.

I am thinking of you and please keep me informed of what happens and how you are doing. I am sending lots of good thoughts your way with a great deal of understanding.

glowing4
I have to tell you that you encouraged me. I am going into eight months of pain and fittings (I just posted a long message), and I am getting nowhere. I'm not giving up but I do want to know if there are other options. Implants may be for two on each side, but that will put a strain in my budget. Anyway, you have helped me. Please read my post. This is my first time on this site and I'm afraid I went on too long. But this is a real problem in my life.
God Bless,
Susie2000

Last edited by susie2000; 11-23-2009 at 01:02 AM.

Closed Thread