HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Dental Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/dental-health/)
-   -   New crown does not meet gum ... (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/dental-health/603240-new-crown-does-not-meet-gum.html)

Obergurgl 05-17-2008 09:05 PM

New crown does not meet gum ...

Between my new crown and gum is a black area - ? black tooth from underneath. Can this be filled with something white? Otherwise the new crown would have to be drilled out and a new one fitted - correct? And I am not going through all that again! My dentist never mentioned it so she obviously thinks it is acceptable! But it really does look awful when I smile or even just talk. Yep - I am also the one with a 6-day old bruise on my chin after getting that crown fitted! Maybe I should be moving on to another dentist ... !

Thelma-Louise 05-18-2008 11:27 AM

Re: New crown does not meet gum ...

No - sadly its not acceptable and it would have to be removed and redone - personally I would make the same dentist redo it at their expense but given it did occur you may likely see the same results. My sister has a similar problem only hers is a back molar so she feels its not worth redoing since no one can really see it except her. She let her regular dentist do it who admitted he was fairly new at it. Gee - what did the dentist do that would result in a bruised chin - given that the crown is not fitted correctly - did he have to force it between teeth in any way? do the edges of the crown along the gum line look irregular - I am wondering if he indeed did have to force the crown in trying to seat it - if he may have cracked or chipped the procelain off himself. If not - did he wrap the base of the prepped tooth with string prior to taking an impression for the crown - this is often done so the lab extends the base of the crown into the gum line a bit - which prevents the "black" line.

Obergurgl 05-21-2008 05:46 AM

Day 9 and the bruise is still there for all to see! She used one hand to ram the crown down into my mouth and the other hand to pull my bottom jaw up - hence the bruise! She was obviously happy with the crown and the black line as she never mentioned anything. She never hands me a mirror so I didn't see here handywork until I got back to my flat. I am one of those absolutely PETRIFIED-of-the-dentist folk so I know I'm not going to mention it to her, as that would just be even more pain. When I go on Saturday she has to remove the temporary crown next to this one and put in the new crown. This tooth was so painful when she was preparing it for the new crown that she decided to delay another week before disturbing it again.

I've read some interesting stuff on this site about dental insurance etc. We don't have such a thing here. I have to pay in advance - as I did this time, 800 pounds for 2 crowns! I won't be going back for a while - I hope! Even although I'm only half way through my treatment plan!

Edelweiss 05-21-2008 12:18 PM

Just another thought: if there is space between your gum and the crown and the natural portion of the tooth is under that crown, then I would think it could be a food trap which could lead to decay of what's left of your natural tooth. I'd insist on its being corrected.

On another note from my personal experience: I was having a tooth prepped for a crown. I kept telling the dentist that it was quite painful when he was working on it, even when he was at the stage of fitting on the permanent crown. (I actually asked for novacaine.) He kept telling me it would be fine once the final crown was in. Well, unfortunately, it wasn't. I had an abscess forming which meant losing that tooth and crown which was an anchor tooth for a bridge. Lots of money down the drain and lots of uncomfortable time spent in that dental chair. Needless to say, I changed dentists after that experience. You really need to be your own advocate.

Good luck with your dental work. I hope it all gets straightened out for you.

ozzybug 05-22-2008 04:18 AM

Obergurgl-
Sorry to say, but I had the same thing happen, and it led to a NASTY problem. I ended up having to have the crown removed and because of the gap that had been there, the small portion of tooth that the crown was glued to had rotted out which then lead to the new dentist having to remove it. He litterally had to dig most of it out and then dig into the gum & jaw to get it all out. Now, I have to either deal with a missing tooth or get an implant.

I had been asking my now former dentist (the one who did the crown) about the gap from day one, and he kept saying, "Oh, it's fine. There's no problem."

Well, when I started having pain in that area, I asked about it again and he continued to say no problems, the crown was correct and good. He lied. I was eating spaghetti one day and felt some kind of cracking under the crown. I went to a new dentist the following day and he told me the crown had to come out, yadda yadda yadda. He never bad mouthed the former dentist, but he did say the crown was not put in properly and that there should never be a gap.

I truly hope you don't end up with problems. It's not fun at all :(