It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
(male)

Bigfoot77 HB User
Tooth extractions for braces

I went to the orthodontist for my first appointment to get braces to correct crowding, and he told me I needed to get 4 teeth extracted. I recently had my wisdom teeth removed. Is this normal to need teeth extracted to have braces? I'm 31 years old and never had braces.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Tooth extractions for braces

Yes, sometimes it's necessary to have teeth extracted in order to have room for the teeth to move once the braces are put on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
(female)

Oyashirazu HB User

Yeah, I just had 2 teeth pulled after having my braces for 2 months. The original plan was to have 4 teeth pulled, but we're going to see if we can keep the other 2. So you may not need all of them pulled, but obviously it depends on the situation.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
(female)

Georgette HB User

I had 8 teeth removed before I got braces. I only have 24 teeth, and most of my molars are baby teeth that were capped because there were no adult teeth behind them.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I would get other opinions. There seems to be some disagreement even among dentists and orthos about removing teeth, especially pre-molars or bicuspids. From a cosmetic or aesthetic point of view it may be recommended yet from an orthopedic point of view you could be creating or promoting a very narrow anterior maxillary arch and changing the position of the temporal bones which has been determined by some studies (although I am not so sure how scientific and/or controlled they were) to cause tmj issues years later.

I had braces in my early to mid 20's to correct upper front teeth that had been pushed in from 2 different childhood accidents. Although things seemed fine and I was comfortable with my bite and straighter teeth I did eventually develop muscular tmj - well it took 20 years - but now that I am dealing with it - I wish I had done more research into it before I went with the braces - not so much the braces - but removing the teeth part - since now it seems there may have been a reason for those teeth with regards to my skeletal structure. Its funny - most dentists often go to extreme lengths to save a tooth yet when it comes to braces removing some (perfectly good teeth I might add) is the first thing orthos recommend - think about it, OK?

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 07-23-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Closed Thread