It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

AZMan07 HB UserAZMan07 HB User
Tori removal Monday

Wish me luck!
I developed a lisp about a year ago as well as small bumps under the left bone at the bottom of my mouth. Monday, the DMD, MD, will remove the Tori. He says that I will most likely have facial bruising and my tongue may swell. He says that if it swells to where I cannot swallow to call. How can I call if my tongue is swollen?

The entire procedure, from general anesthesia, to numbing, to removal of both lower tori is only 40 minutes. I have a ride home scheduled and the doctor says he will write a script for pain meds. He also said that there will be some bleeding but just the oozing type and, of course, I will be very sore for about 3 days.

Are we talking total liquid diet here?

I will have to call if there is more blood than expected or if I cannot swallow.

He said to use ice only for 24 hours to minimize swelling on the face.

I am a bit apprehensive but I want to stop lisping and I want to stop cutting my tori everytime I eat potato chips and getting food stuck between them in the front. I also want to make sure the lumps I feel under the one side is nothing serious.

Any advise from veterans of this procedure is much appreciated!

Old 06-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Tori removal Monday

I was just wondering how you made out - hope all is well and that you are not in too much pain and the procedure went as hoped. I have no experience with tori removal, but I am hoping it will help with your lisping issue which you probably will not be able to determine until you are fully healed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise View Post
I was just wondering how you made out - hope all is well and that you are not in too much pain and the procedure went as hoped. I have no experience with tori removal, but I am hoping it will help with your lisping issue which you probably will not be able to determine until you are fully healed.
You have trhat right! Talk about lisping!! Actually, not too bad with the 600MG Ibuprofen. Procedure itself yesterday was really a piece of cake. It was, I think my 6th time under anesthesia (2 majors) and I did not even go to bed when I got home.

Found out lst night that peas are really not a soft food! Thank God for ice!

Also take 500MG Amoxicillin and aanti-bacterial dental rinse.

Took hydrocodone at bedtime but woke up 4 hours later. Not good. Not sure if I will be using that one.

Also, I accidentally pulled out 1 of the sutures, thinking it was stuck food or someting. There doesn't seem to be any more bleeding, just oozing, so doc said ok but call if there is any concern.

Today I can feel the actual sore tissue so I try to keep my tongue up off of it. There is still some soreness and swelling under the back of my tongue making swallowing not quite normal but it is not an issue unless I can't swallow at all.

Just going to do my stretching exercises and some walking. Other than that, reading, watching DVD's, Big Brain Academy on my new DS lite, and surfing the net!

thanks for your concern Thelma-Louise

Old 06-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

We will have to wait until I heal as my mouth, tongue, jaw are all still swollen and in pain. Every word is a lisp *and* painful!

I don't know if you have seen pix of tori or not but mine had grown together in the front to the point where the frenulum of my tongue could barely fit between them. Although it appears that this is now much wider it looks (and feels) like I still have protusions on each side. Now, whether those are still bones or are just the skin pulled up and sutured (I have suters going through my bottom teeth) that will eventually subside when the swelling goes down, I will just have to waiat and see when I see the doc on Monday.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-27-2008 at 06:27 PM.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Saw the doctor today who said that it will take at least 3 weeks to recover.
I still have swelling and pain under the tongue with all the stretched skin. I also have a sharp bone protruding from the left side at the gum line that he said he may have to go back in and cut out. I asked if he can just file it down or something and he said to wait another week and he will look again as the gum may grow over it.

I was on Amoxicillin until today. I am still on an anti-bacterial rinse that tastes like licorice, 600mg Ibuprofen 3x day, and 5/500 Hydrocodone
(Vicodin, Lortab, whatever) 1 or 2 every 6 hours. It seems that sometimes I can take a full pill but sometimes only 1/2 and sometimes nothing works!
Food makes it more tolerable but less effective. I also use warm salt water with a syringe to get down into the area better.

Speaking of food, I have been trying to get off the soft food but doc said today to minimize chewing at least for another week. I broke down and bought some Apple Fritters and cut them up real good.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:10 AM   #6
(female)

queenbuzz HB User

I'm scheduled to have this June 30 and would like to have any of your current thoughts on having it done! I'm a little nervous about the whole procedure! How is your pain now?

Old 06-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbuzz View Post
I'm scheduled to have this June 30 and would like to have any of your current thoughts on having it done! I'm a little nervous about the whole procedure! How is your pain now?
Excellent timing on your question queenbuz as I just saw the Oral Surgeon today!

I have not taken any pain meds since last Tuesday. As I was not on them the first or second day due to I was still numb on the first and used ice on the second, I was on them less than a week.

I would say I have about 85-90% of my tongue flexibility back. It is only sore on the underside in the back.

Doc says everything is healing nicely. What they do is peel back the skin, cut out the bones, and then stretch the skin back and then suture it to your teeth. The puffiness under the skin is from the blood clotting and it is almost the size of the original tori after the surgery. However, that went down after week 1 and is still going down. That worried me a bit because it almost looked like he didn't take out that much but he really did.

I saw the x-ray taken a week before surgery today and you can't see my bottom front teeth due to the bones were so large and growing above them. Doc says although mine were large, he once took out tori the size of golf balls! Yikes!

There is a small portion of small bone on the left side that I was concerned about but what is happening is the skin is just growing back and he says that should take care of it but if it does not in another 2 weeks, he will numb me there and file the sharpness down.

So, all in all I feel good about this.

I went to a dinner party friday night and someone made the comment that I was enunciating better. Yes, my lisp is going away. I still have a little as, like I said above, the skin is still growing back together and the blood cuts under it are still being absorbed by my body. I suspect in another 2 weeks I should be fine.

One more thing queenbuzz, make sure you ask how many of these procedures your doctor has done. Although I think I am fine, I forgot to ask that and when I was in pain that is all I could think about.

I also had the doc look at some bumps I can feel with my tongue and he said everything looks normal and those are most likely salivary glands I feel.

He took out the final suture (the only one that did not come out itself) so, other than I still need to be careful and not eat hard food that requires chewing (I have a small sore on the skin from trying to do that Friday night!), I am good to go.

Make sure you stock up on jello, pudding, applesauce, all your favorite juices (I did the Carb Countdown Low Carb chocolate milks -- went through gallons of the stuff!), spaghetti, really anything that will allow you to just swallow with much if any chewing. You won't be eating anything for the first few days, just milkshakes and juices.

Don't buy straws. There is something about the sucking action that actually agravates the new skin. I got the sports water bottles that you squeeze that minimizes anything you have to use your mouth for. Make sense?

You won't be able to swallow much at all the first few days but make sure you have someone with you who can call the doc because you have to be able to swallow a little bit and if you can't due to swelling, you will have to call the doc.

well, that is about all. It is worth it, especially if you have suffered as long as I have. I noticed yesterday morning that the little tiny blood pressure pill have have been taking for years just slides right down now. It always got stuck before. That will give you some idea about how much better you will be without the large tori!

I also paid a surprise visit to my dentist just to show off because they always made comments about the bones.

Best to you on June 30. That is my next appointment day with the Surgeon and should be my last.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-27-2008 at 06:20 PM.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Tori removal Monday update

Quote:
I don't know if you have checked back in since I wrote the above but you might this weekend seeing as how you have surgery Monday.

On Monday it will be 4 weeks since my surgery.
I just spoke to the doctor. I have a small piece of bone at the bottom of one of my left molars. It has a slightly sharp edge all along the side and on the end. The doctor says he will need to numb my gum and file it down a little. However, I have recently has some other issues and am still waiting on tests for those so he and I agreed to wait for another week or two. Also, it won't hurt to allow my gums to grow more and allow the bottom of my tongue to fully heal. It is still slightly sore due to the skin being stretched back over the entire bottom of my mouth.

I think this is worth it but it is a major surgery so it takes time to fully recover. I am chewing some food again but I avoid stuff like chips and popcorn or other hard foods. I swallow much, *much* easier now. That alone makes this worth this. I also met some wonderful people at the doctor's office!

Bottom line looks like the healing time is 4-6 weeks that is pretty typical as a minimum, I would think, for any surgery.

I wish you all the best Monday!

Old 07-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Did you survive?

My pain is mostly gone, there is some very rare intermittant jaw pain that lasts only about a minute or so.

Today, the doc pulled out the little sharp bone that had softened up and he did not need to numb the area. I was in and out in a few minutes and I never have to go back!

Hope yours went well.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Yes, it resolved the lisping and eating is a lot easier now as well.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-27-2008 at 06:19 PM.

Closed Thread