It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
(female)

SDove HB User
LUMINEERs - Warning

June 2008

I will add my warning about LUMINEERS...I had 12 front teeth, 6 uppers and 6 lowers, done in early 2007. I should have realized the old adage about, 'if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.'
I originally went to the dentist for veneers (crowns) for my front teeth which had chips out of the incisal and were badly discolored. He 'talked me into' the Lumineers, saying it was less expensive, but just as effective, and that he'd applied THOUSANDS of them, so he knew what he was doing.

Be aware of the advertisting about no drilling. There is removal of enamel from said teeth so that the Lumineer adhesive adheres well. I got nervous as the dentist kept removing enamel from the tongue side of my teeth where the Lumineer would NOT be touching except at the very end/incisal. He was removing enamel all over the back of my teeth, clear up to the gums, and shortening the length of all the teeth.

I was admonished for even asking WHY....my 1st 'internal' warning bell I should have listened to, but it was too late...the enamel was removed front and back and the length of my original teeth were shortened, significantly.

2nd warning bell....the ordered Lumineers arrived with one missing, and only the upper set, at that. I had the upper ones applied, then had to wait WEEKS for the lowers. (The dentist never received the missing one, so I went without one on lower canine, even tho the tooth was filed down)

3rd warning bell....The application was hurried; one was dropped on the floor; the adhesive flowed in between each tooth and overflowed between to the tongue side.
My immediate complaint was that my lower teeth (without Lumineers) hit the adhesive that overflowed on the upper teeth. I was told I should 'get used to it', too, like others here on this Board, and to wait until the lower Lumineers were applied before asking for any adjustments.
Another complaint I had was that the 'backs' of my teeth had rough spots on them, I'll guess from excessive adhesive, but I was told, again, to get used to it. In my mind, I could see areas for decay, once again.

Well, it did NOT get better with the lowers applied....it got much worse!
The lowers became 'over long' w/application, as the Lumineer grasps on to the incisal point of ones tooth. The lower teeth were now hitting the inside of my upper teeth so badly, my bite was thrown off completely. My back teeth did not touch at all.
That caused tremendous pressure to my jaw, as it was trying to compensate.
I found myself clenching my jaw constantly.

I went back to the dentist once a week begging for something to be done to alliviate the pressure, not only from the upper and lower teeth hitting 1st, BUT for him to remove the excess adhesive from BETWEEN my teeth! I felt as tho I had braces on. Most of my teeth were adhered to each other and could not move seperately, which is natural.
4th warning bell....He refused to seperate the teeth, stating it would ruin the guarantee.

Then, one of the lower canines popped off with no pressure from me. He tried putting it back on but it would pop off, until he would not try replacing it again. I was not compensated.

Besides the awful pressure, I could not FLOSS at all. The adhesive was so thick I could not get anything thru between the teeth at the gumline. My gums were becoming inflamed.

I suffered with the above for almost a year, listening to the dentist's words, and warnings, if he adjusted anything. I actually suffered physicial problems to the point of searching for a 'cosmetic dentist' who would review the application of the Lumineers and give me a professional SECOND OPINION.

His opinion was: 'substandard in quality and a cosmetic failure', 'must be redone'.

So, close to $12,000.00 down the drain, literally. I have to have the Lumineers removed by another dentist and all those teeth prepared for veneers, which are crowns, in effect.

The 'Lumineer' dentist is refusing to refund any amount.

There is no recourse for the patient! Dentists are untouchable, while we suffer.

I wish all those who have suffered from the application of LUMINEERS could get together, find an attorney who specializes in dental problems willing to research all the complaints, and bring a Class Action Suit against the company and the dentists who have caused the damage.

Sincerely, S.Y. Dove

The following user gives a hug of support to SDove:
JeremiahsmomFay (08-04-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SDove For This Useful Post:
imcurious1 (01-31-2011), shazax (01-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: LUMINEERs - Warning

Gosh thanks for the warning because I too was thinkin that might be a good idea to do. Instead I did the whitening and even that I was shocked to learn that it takes the shiny part of the enamel off all your teeth and so you are constantly brushing your teeth because they ALWAYS feel fuzzy...you have to actually use like a wash cloth a few times a day to rub the fuzz off as ordinary toothbrush just doesn't do it.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
(female)

bocmember01 HB User

There is recourse for a patient who received treatment deemed "substandard in quality and a cosmetic failure". There is peer review through the local dental society, the State Dental Board, and a malpractice lawyer as options. Since you already have a second opinion that documents substandard treatment I'd seek the legal route.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
(female)

SDove HB User

To: bocmember01

I researched most avenues to complain to, and was told by
local dental organizations that I had no recourse, as the
dentist was not a member of their association.
I will file compaint to the State organizations such as CA
Dept of Consumer Affairs and Federal Trade Commission in Washington,
along w/Dental Board of CA.
The lawyers I found who SPECIALIZE in dental problems declined,
as there's not enough $$ involved for their time.
Any more suggestions? Would be appreciated.
Ciao, S Dove

Old 06-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
(female)

jannylynn HB User

I can understand what you're going through. I told my first dentist I didn't like a very small gap between my upper two front teeth. Without consultation, wax-up, etc., he decided to file my upper four front teeth for crowns. I was traumatized. To add insult to injury, I couldn't stand the crowns. He, too, kept telling me I would get used to them. They were so thick in back against my gum line that my tongue was pushed back from the top, back part of the crowns. My tongue wouldn't rest naturally. I started seeing my second opinion dentist about five months later. He cut off those crowns and his attempt to get me crowns that looked, but most importantly felt comfortable, failed. I wore temporary crowns and porcelain crowns with temporary cement five months. The last several months, one crown wouldn't stay on and I had to keep going back every few days to have it put back on. I believe that tooth changed from having crowns put on and pulled off so many times. He didn't take a new impression of the tooth for a better fit. He started using very, very strong temporary cement. It was very painful. The last few months were so stressful that I decided to contact a prosthodontist. They specialize in these types of treatments and have had several years more training. In three weeks he'll be cutting off these crowns (even though they're on with temporary cement, he said he doesn't pull them off). I have more confidence now, but still feel anxious. I reported the first dentist the the Dental Board of California. They're doing an investigation. I, too, tried to find an attorney to represent me, but no one would take my case. There's money in medical malpractice, but there's probably very little money in dental malpractice. I don't believe there are watchdogs over dentists like there are over doctors. That's unfortunate because of all the horror stories I seem to be reading here.

Last edited by jannylynn; 06-05-2008 at 09:52 PM.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Are you kidding? My 21 yr. old is about to get the zoom whitening. Is that what you are talking about?

Old 06-09-2008, 11:57 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

Yes, there is enough money involved here for their time so you
must not have contacted the right malpractice lawyer. You have
two causes of action to go after this idiot for 1. Negligence and
2. Malpractice. A dentist in the state of CA has to take the same
licensing exam and have a professional and ethical code of conduct
that applies to them. They are held to a standard of care of
the community and if the fall below this standard, then you have
a clear case of negligence and he has to have malpractice insurance. The lawsuit like this is worth around $600,000 and i
think that is hefty sum for a lawyer to take on contingency. Karen

Old 06-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I don't know about other states but in NY - attorney fees are about 1/3 of the suit or claim amount - and most attorneys try to settle out of court through mediation to reduce their expenses and generally that results in a reduced settlement amt by 1/3 as well. Not that its not worth a try - but what seems like a clear case of negligence and malpractice often gets muddied by the legal system and its often not so easy to prove damages even if negligence is apparent - so if you do file a suit, be prepared for it to take quite a long time to be resolved - all you can do is hope for the best and be prepared for the worse.

Closed Thread