It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User
Help with implants please

Hi all. I have not had bottom back teeth in 25 years. I have so little bone I cannot keep a partial in. My doctor wants to put 4 implants with a one tooth bridge in between the implants. He is going to use a cadaver bone. It will take 4 months to see if it will work. Next they will put the screws in wait 4 more months. and then my regular dentist will do the 6 crowns.
I am so excited and so scared. Can anyone give me some insight. He only gives a valuim befor surgery. and no gas. I am nervous will it hurt? How do you go 8 months with no lower back teeth? How do I eat? Can some one tell me anything? I really want these. Also he said I will only need pain meds the first day and will be fine after this. Thoughts please!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
(female)

Edelweiss HB User
Re: Help with implants please

I would say go for it. For years I went around with no back teeth. I finally got brave and had implants done. I also needed bone grafting; however the oral surgeon I used used a synthetic material of some sort which he inserted at the same time he put in the initial posts. I know it seems like a long time from start to finish, but to me, it was worth it in the end.

I had nothing but novacaine -- not even Valium or the like. There was very little discomfort. It was more the "noise" in my head that bothered me. The post-surgical pain was minimal -- more discomfort for a few days.

Good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Thank-you so much for responding Edelweiss. May I ask how many implants you had done? So there was no problem with rejection or anything like that. Do they feel like your natural teeth?

Old 06-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
(female)

Edelweiss HB User

I had one upper and one lower done on opposite sides of the mouth. The upper implants generally take a few more months than the lower so we started with the upper and two months later did the lower. I was fortunate in that both "took" with no problem. You'll go back for x-rays periodically to check on the position of the implant and how it's healing. They feel just like my natural teeth.

I now have an upper back tooth to get done. The extraction was done last summer, the bone grafting material inserted at the time of the extraction. I just have to save the $$$ to go back for the implant!

I also know several people who have had implants with no problems at all.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Thanks again and hopefully I'll be another one

Closed Thread