It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
(female)

Shellbel78 HB User
swollen gums around wisdom tooth.

For the last few days, I've had swelling and pain around my bottom left wisdom tooth. The left side of my jaw hurts. Feels like my glands are swollen and tender. Should I call my dentist or should I maybe wait a couple more days?

Old 06-23-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: swollen gums around wisdom tooth.

Funny enough I came to this board because my left lower wisdom tooth began doing to same thing. My widsom teeth began coming in over two years ago. They never bothered me. I would only cut one tooth at a time only once every 1-2 month and it would feel more like a burn or shapr pain from the cutting, and it only lasted less than a day, so it wasn't a big deal.

Since Friday, it happened again, but now it is inflammed. My gland(s) are also swollen and at times the pain has been extreme. The relief I have found is putting some ice cubes in a zip lock bag and wrapping a kitchen towel around it, and icing the area. The relief is almost instant, I even did this overnight when I had trouble sleeping over the weekend. I made an appointment for tomorrow, Tuesday and I recommend you do the same thing. If I feel under my jaw where the pain is and below the tooth, I can feel a semi-hard lump, almost like it is infected and it is causing my gland to swell. I am into natural medicine, so I am using eucalytus oil, and I take probitoics on a regular basis and I am eating garlic for natural sources of antibiotics, because drug antibiotics kill both good and bad bacteria in the body and leave the body vulnerable.

I will let you know what they say after my appointment tomorrow morning, but I am certain mine are impacted, and the left one seems infected and they will be removed VERY soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
(female)

tinkywinky HB User

I am having the same problem, i have been to the dentist and apparently have an infection in my gums where my wisdon tooth is. My cheek is swollen and i cant even eat becasue i can hardly open my mouth its so painful. The dentist gave me antibiotics, today i went to the docs for stronger pain killers, she gave me codiene and Diclofenac and its not really helping for the pain.

Hope you do better than me!

Old 06-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
(female)

alaa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellbel78 View Post
For the last few days, I've had swelling and pain around my bottom left wisdom tooth. The left side of my jaw hurts. Feels like my glands are swollen and tender. Should I call my dentist or should I maybe wait a couple more days?
hello..is your wisdom tooh partially erupted if it is you might have pericoronitis which is an inflammation of the tissue overlying your wisdom tooth call your dentist ...

Old 06-25-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Try using ice, drugs to not heal anything. I went to my appointment and as an afterthought the doctor gave me a prescription for antibiotics because I also have an infection in the gum where the wisdom tooth is erupting. He gave me a card for an oral surgeon and I have to see him before the actual extraction of the teeth, so it will be a while yet. I do not take drugs, especially antibiotics because they kill all bacteria.....you are often not told that, so instead I have been washing my mouth out with tea tree oil mix with water. It is natually antibacterial and I am drinking fresh lemon in my water among other things. Keep and ice pack nearby....it really works the bext without the harsh toxin chemicals in these drugs.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:54 AM   #6
(female)

tinkywinky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaIn2006 View Post
Try using ice, drugs to not heal anything. I went to my appointment and as an afterthought the doctor gave me a prescription for antibiotics because I also have an infection in the gum where the wisdom tooth is erupting. He gave me a card for an oral surgeon and I have to see him before the actual extraction of the teeth, so it will be a while yet. I do not take drugs, especially antibiotics because they kill all bacteria.....you are often not told that, so instead I have been washing my mouth out with tea tree oil mix with water. It is natually antibacterial and I am drinking fresh lemon in my water among other things. Keep and ice pack nearby....it really works the bext without the harsh toxin chemicals in these drugs.
Thanks for the advice, but give me drugs any day, I cant stand being in pain... I just kept gobbling my antibiotica and painkillers and i feel loads better today. I did use ice on my cheek casue it was swollen. I will try the tea tree oil thing!

Old 01-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
(male)

chrisb62 HB User

i have this problem every so often.

basically my bottom wisdom teeth arent fully out of the gums, id say maybe half way. so sometimes a piece of food gets stuck between the tooth and gum. then my gums flare up around the tooth. not always, but sometimes.

all i have to do is put my finger back there, and run it up the gum. from the bottom up and it kinda pushes whatever is stuck in the out. then my gum goes back to normal within about an hour.

anyways, i thought maybe this would be the problem for some other people and it works really well as a solution, for me anyway.

Closed Thread