It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
(female)

shineon2 HB User
re-infected root canal after placement of permanent crown - is this possible???

Hello All

Was wondering if anyone has experienced this situation

Two months ago I had a root canal after having air and heat sensitivity to a bottom molar that had been preped for a crown and had a temp. placed on. My Endo. (great doctor) noted that there was a slight gap between the temp and gum line and this most likely caused irritation to my nerve - we decided to to the RCT at that time.

I felt fine for the next two weeks until I got the permanent crown put on (in between my dentist made a new temp.) and then just a few days after the permanent crown was placed on I begn having similar sympoms again - sensitivity to mostly air and some heat sensitivity. I have been in to my dentist three times since for bite adjustments and will be going in again tomorrow for some xrays. He does not yet want me to see the Endo. but at this point I am concerned that something related to the perm. crown is causing my symptoms again. Has anyone else had this experience? Re-infection/irritation of a root canaled tooth after the placement of a perm. crown? If so you insights will be helpful in guiding my converstation with my dentist tomorrow.

Many Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: re-infected root canal after placement of permanent crown - is this possible???

Well it could be the crown is too high and you are gnashing it with another tooth or that cement is wedged near the margin of the tooth. Sometimes I have found perm crowns do disturb a otherwise healthy tooth - I am not sure if its from the perm cement used or the metal used under the crown that the porcelain is fused to - or maybe the weight of the crown - but I have had problems with perm crowns in the past not feeling as good as the temp did. Most of my teeth with rcs retained some sensitivity and flareup from time to time and then settle back down and only one has ever had to be retreated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
(female)

shineon2 HB User
Re: re-infected root canal after placement of permanent crown - is this possible???

Thanks for your reply. Seems like the sesation may be coming from the adjacent tooth as there is some receding gum there - that seemed to come along after my crown tooth was preped for the crown. I came home to find that the tooth next to it looked as if the natural contour had been changed. I don't know - just seems one thing after another. Crowns are still sore to chew on - even after 4 bite adjustments and root canals. My doctor just says wait it out.... Thanks again!

Old 07-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Yeah - to be honest I have a very extensive dental history and now have tmj which I believe started with replacement bridges and crowns not fitting well and the dentist that did them said just give it some time and I would get used to it - when the pain became unbearable and widespread he said it couldn't possibly be due to his dental work since quite a bit of time had passed since it had been done - so don't wait too long. It soundls like the dr adjusted a natural tooth to get the crown to fit correctly and that should never be done, in my opinion. It might be the adjustment exposed some of the nerve on the other tooth and that is what is causing sensitivity and pain.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 07-01-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
(female)

Patsyclark55 HB User

I had a root canal that became re-infected because the dentist misssed one of the smaller roots. Apparently there are instances (like in my mouth) where a tooth has more roots than normal and sometimes these are difficult to see. I went to an endodontist after the original treatment and he was able to fix the problem .

Old 07-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Two years ago I had a crown installed over a molar, which apparently had bad/dead roots. The dentist should have known that the molar needed a root canal first, before the crown was installed.

I then suffered an infection that started in the roots beneath the new crown and which spread into my jaw and gums.

I went to an endodontist, who drilled through the top of the crown, and did a magnificent job of roto-rooting out the four diseased/dead roots; and then installed a permanent filling in the top of the crown.

I had to take antibiotics (Keflex) for a few weeks afterwards, but as of now, my mouth, jaw and gums are healthy, the infection is totally gone, and the molar/crown feels great with absolutely no pain or unexpected sensation, except for the extra money that I had to spend because of the first dentist's negligence.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 07-10-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Closed Thread