It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
(male)

medinajv HB User
Question Temporary Crown Problem

As I had a crack in a molar, my dentist did the prepatory work for a crown and made a mold for a permanent crown and then put a temporary cap on the tooth. I was to return in 4 weeks for the permanent crown. Three days before that appointment, the temporary cap came off and the cap had a hole in the top of it. I called the dentist's office and they said to just wait until the regular appointment, that it wasn't an emergency. When I went for the permanent crown, the dentist said that he would have to start the crown process all over again because my tooth had moved. He said that this tooth movement without a cap would normally take 2-3 months but that in about 1-2% of his patients, the tooth moves very quickly, in a few days. He called it the "Christianson phenomenon". I may not be spelling it right, but no one I've talked with has heard of this and I can't find anything on the interent about it.
Does anyone know anything about this or did the dentist make it up?

Old 07-03-2008, 11:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Temporary Crown Problem

Permanent crowns can be made in a week and sometmies it takes 2 weeks. They must be using a real slow lab to have to wait a month for a permanent crown.

I've had temporary crowns come off before and I've gone in right away to either my dentist or a dentist on call. I thnk your dentist should have cemented the temporary back on or if damaged made another one. I was told that in an emergency the patient could use tooth paste to put the temporary back on if it happened when dentist offices were closed.

I don't know about that phenonmen but the tooth left uncapped can chip or crack or get a cavity and then the crown can't be placed on it.

I hope you can get this problem resolved.

Last edited by taape; 07-03-2008 at 11:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
(male)

medinajv HB User
Re: Temporary Crown Problem

Thanks for your input.

Closed Thread