It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Having silver mercury fillings replaced with white fillings

Has anyone been allergic to silver mercury fillings? If so what were your symptoms? Have you had them taken out and white ones put in? I am thinking of doing that and want to know if it is worth it. Thanks!

Old 07-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Having silver mercury fillings replaced with white fillings

I had trouble with all the white fillings I had done - each tooth felt lower than it did before and remained quites sensitive and not just for a few days or weeks either - they just never felt right - I think they may have contributed to changing my bite as well but I have seen posts from others that had problems as well so I guess they are not for everyone. I know they look better and all - maybe it was just my dentist at the time and his lack of skill (although he was a prosthodontist) or maybe its the composite material used that is either hard to skulpt or manipulate - the dentist said it was b/c my previous fillings were so large - I don't know but silver fillings never really bothered me and the teeth didn't even hurt despite the size of the preexisting filling and and its age - but he convinced me they needed to be replaced and the white would be better looking and a good investment - I should have stopped after the first one was done but I let him do 3 more and started having other problems - now I wish I had left them alone.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 07-08-2008 at 02:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
(female)

septemberday HB User

I know the trend today is to eliminate the amalgam fillings and go to the composite (white) fillings because there has been questions regarding the safety of the amalgam fillings. I do know of one person who kept having miscarriages and they finally determined it was from the amalgam fillings. She had them all replaced and then had a baby. For most people I do not think it is a problem, however, since the white fillings are more expensive it is provides more revenue for the dentist.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I think the current thinking is to discontinue use of mercury fillings for new treatments, but as far as fillings that are already in you, probably better to leave well enough alone. Removing and replacing fillings is painful and expensive, and there's no evidence it really helps anyone's health dramatically.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

Yes, I was allergic to mercury fillings - big time. I used to write so much about the subject. One of the first things I noticed when I had the mercury fillings replaced, is that those horrible headaches never came back. Then there were other things, like urinary problems, lower back pain, chest pains, and other muscle pains. I was miserable. I was so miserable, that that what was brought me here to discuss health issues. I just wanted so many people to know.

Some don't believe that it really affects some of us that much. But when you are that one person, that has to suffer miserably...well that's all that one person has to know. Yes, it's so terrible. On top of that, a lot of doctors don't know how to treat it, nor do they understand it.

I chose porcelain fillings over white composites because it seemed to be less toxic. I've read that white composites can present their own problems. I didn't care what it cost. I didn't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire. I just wanted all of this nightmare to end. To this day, I'm free of that sickness.

So the lesson is this. If you do chose white fillings, get the best ones that are the least toxic, including the cementing agents. I had a naturopath help me pick out the best dental materials.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Thank Rhody! Because I am really going to do this. My daughter was in the ER one night and I thought she was dying of a brain anyresm or something she had a headache and deep pain going from the side of her jaw, up into her ear and into her head just after she had had like 4 silver fillings put in on one side of her mouth. I firmly believe it poisened her. I went back on the dentist and they denied everything. I has those taken out and and replaced with white for her. Thank God she is ok!

Old 07-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

But that kind of instaneous pain could be due to the new fillings being left too high or too low and the replacement to white fillings just corrected the occlusion. Although I do agree with the discussion regarding possible mercury posioning - is amalgam the same as mercury? - from what I have read it was more likely a slow and gradual build up of toxic metal (including mercury) over years in the body as the fillings deteriorated and therefore a slow and steady progression of increasing symptoms. Many of the symptoms you mentioned in your post are also symptoms of malocclusion and tmj - the only way to know for sure if it was indeed metal poisoning would be to have a blood/tissue toxicity or toxicology workup done - metal testing is fairly common these days - probably cheaper than replacing all your existing fillings and risking disturbing a tooth that was fine the way it was.

I was never given the option of using porcelain to replace existing amalgam fillings - I didn't even know it could be done - my dentist only told me about the white composite fillings - based on what he charged me for them though I probably wouldn't have been able to afford it anyway.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I agree with Rhody. I plan on doing the same thing, but you may want to seek a holistic dentist, because regular dentists don't always belive that these mercury filliings are harmful. Make sure they vent the vapors when taking out that nasty mercury, it can cause major health problems, some permanant. Usually only one or two can be replaced at a time because these things are so toxic, you have to give your body time to recover. Make sure that you are loading up on vitamins and minerals in between replacements to keep your body healthy. I plan on going forth and replacing mine within the next year or two with porcelain. Composite fillings also pose some nasty side effects too.

Regardless of what the government or any association says, mercury is mercury and it does not belong in the body.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
(male)

scottyboy10 HB User

I'm doing a 2 weeks protocol with Dr Hal Huggins in Chicago at the moment to remove Mercury Fillings and do a cleanse. Please Please Please get some of his reading material like "it's all in your head" and get bck to me.

You need them taken out a special way. I have flown from Australia and think this is what you need.

Take care
Scott xx

Closed Thread