It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
(female)

Havannah HB User
Angry Facial Numbness After Tooth Filling.

I HAD A FILLING 6 WEEKS AGO AND THE ANAESTHETIC NEVER WORE OFF AFTERWARDS. I HAVE BEEN LEFT WITH NUMBNESS ON THE WHOLE OF THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY FACE INCLUDING MY TONGUE, THROAT, CHEEK AND CHIN, EVEN UP TO MY EAR AND EYE. MY EYE IS SORE AND CONSTANTLY RUNNING AND I HAVE A THROBBING SENSATION IN ALL TEETH ON THE RIGHT SIDE TOO. MY DENTIST HAS REFERRED ME TO SEE A NEUROLOGIST BUT I COULD BE WAITING WEEKS OR MONTHS AND I AM AT MY WITS END. I CANT DESCRIBE HOW LOW THIS IS MAKING ME FEEL AND WERE IT NOT FOR HAVING YOUNG CHILDREN I CAN HONESTLY SAY I WOULD CONSIDER SUICIDE. MY LIFE QUALITY IS ZILCH. MY ONLY RELIEF IS SLEEP OR TO LIE WITH THAT SIDE OF MY FACE SQUASHED INTO A BIG PILLOW WHICH SEEMS TO TAKE THE SENSATION AWAY SLIGHTLY. i AM CONSTANTLY BITING MY TONGUE AND AM AFRAID TO EAT, WHAT I DO EAT I CANT TASTE PROPERLY. MY DENTIST WAS EXTREMELY VAGUE AND BECAUSE OF MY DISTRESS I DIDNT FEEL ABLE TO QUESTION HIM ABOUT WHAT HAD GONE WRONG. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY COMMENTS ON SIMILAR SITUATIONS YOU MAY HAVE HAD, AND IT WOULD BE GOOD TO FEEL HOPE AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL WHICH AT THE MOMENT IS VERY VERY BLACK!

Old 07-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Facial Numbness After Tooth Filling.

It sounds as if some nerve damage has been done. Is there any way you can get in to see a doctor sooner? It is affecting your quality of life both physically and mentally. Perhaps you can go the an acute care clinic or emergency clinic and try to get a speedier referral to the neurologist. I'm not extremely familiar with your healthcare in the UK, but I wish you well. Keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
(female)

bocmember01 HB User

Paresthesia (persistent anesthesia) is a risk in the administration of local anesthetics. Fortunately, it is a rare complication and most cases will resolve with time. A consultation with an oral surgeon may be helpful in addition to seeing a neurologist.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
(female)

Havannah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiraven View Post
It sounds as if some nerve damage has been done. Is there any way you can get in to see a doctor sooner? It is affecting your quality of life both physically and mentally. Perhaps you can go the an acute care clinic or emergency clinic and try to get a speedier referral to the neurologist. I'm not extremely familiar with your healthcare in the UK, but I wish you well. Keep us posted.
Thanks for your reply! Been to doctor in desperation today but he cant intervene as the dentist has already referred me to a neurologist. Phoned them and awaiting a reply hopefully tomorrow but could wait months for an appointment so fingers crossed. Thanks for your interest, much appreciated. All the best x

Old 07-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
(female)

Havannah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocmember01 View Post
Paresthesia (persistent anesthesia) is a risk in the administration of local anesthetics. Fortunately, it is a rare complication and most cases will resolve with time. A consultation with an oral surgeon may be helpful in addition to seeing a neurologist.
Thanks for your reply. Today I have found out I will see an Oral Maxillofacial Surgeon in the next few weeks hopefully so I feel a bit more optimistic. Worst thing is I cant eat much as I keep on biting my tongue or inside of my cheeks which is very painful, now my mouth is full of wounds too. Fingers crossed it goes away with time like you say. Your reply is much appreciated, thankyou and all the best to you and yours. x

Old 10-13-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
(female)

Havannah HB User
Wink Re: Facial Numbness After Tooth Filling.

I Finally Got To The Bottom Of My Facial Numbness. It Was Purely Coincidental That This All Happened At The Time Of My Dental Treatment. Just A Few Days Ago I Had Th Results Of A Brain Scan And To My Horror It Revealed That I Have A Brain Tumour (meningioma To Be Precise). Apparently The Tumour Is Pressing On A Nerve Which Supplies Sensation To The Face And This Is What Caused The Numbness. I Am Now Awaiting A Date For Surgery To Have The Tumour Removed And Fingers Crossed I Should Make A Full And Permanent Recovery. Thanks For All Interest.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

good luck for the operation and hope you have a speedy recovery

Closed Thread