It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
All I Want for Christmas is My FOUR Front Teeth!

Hi,
I was just recently told I would need four upper implants, #7 through 10.
One tooth became loose and infected after hitting a plate glass door face first.
It never tightened and the periodontist says there is quite a bit of bone loss, I think I heard him say 70%. The front tooth next to it has some loss as well (30%) and the laterals next to each front tooth have rotated vertically so they are sideways.
This has all come as a shock. Does anyone have any advice for me? I don't understand why all four have to be done. The sideways teeth are tight. Why should those be pulled and replaced with implants if they are still tight?
I could use some feedback if anyone has any. What do you do in the meantime to eat? How can you eat with no front teeth? I need something a bit more substantial than a "flipper" as I attend business dinners and can't be taking out my teeth. Actually shock has now been replaced by fear and panic is close behind.
Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: All I Want for Christmas is My FOUR Front Teeth!

I had my 4 upper front teeth removed due to similar circumstances and had 3 implants done - my upper canines were filed down and used as anchors for a 6 pontic or unit fixed bridge while the implants healed. Once they were integrated with the bone, the temp bridge was removed and a 4 pontic bridge was cemented to the 3 implants and the canines were individually crowned.

I would agree that the other teeth do not need to be removed - from a cosmetic point of view they can be crowned or vaneered and then contoured to appear anyway they should. Maybe there are other reasons the dentist feels they should be removed that he did not inform you of?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

I'm not sure. He just said they had twisted because of the bone loss in the front two.
I would be very happy if they could use those teeth rather than an implant there. My only thought is maybe the roots could cause a problem. I see him on Thursday and will ask then.
I never had a problem with my teeth. Now four and the front ones to boot!

Old 07-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

If there is significant bone loss - ask your dentist what the impants will integrate with - they need sufficient bone density just like natural teeth do.

Closed Thread