It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
(male)

Adam74 HB User
Question advice please on receding dental papilla

over the past year I've noticed spaces in between my teeth becoming more dominant. I'm 34 years old and wore braces when I was 12-15 years old. my teeth are reasonably straight and i have taken excellent care of them with flossing daily, brushing with an electric toothbrush (once a day in the evening), brushing with a regular toothbrussh (once a day in the morning) and using listerine one a day.

my dentist referred me to a periodontist for an evaluation when I brought up my concern of the spaces between my teeth becoming more noticeable. They believe it is due to me using an electric toothbrush and flossing to hard. They say my gums have no disease and are very healthy. They made a bite guard for me to use so if I was possibly grinding my teeth that it would help. i don't believe the recession was from me brushing/flossing my teeth because i didn't do it excessively.

they said to take B vitamins to help with regrowth of the dental papilla between the teeth. There is some sensitivity as well in which i'm using a prescription flouride toothpaste to help. at first i thought maybe the prescription flouride toothpaste which i've used for years in conjunction with listerine maybe caused the recession due to the chemicals and strength of both.

If anyone would know of a treatment or something i could do to help regrow the dental papilla between the teeth or if you have ever heard of a similar situation and know of what i should do to prevent additional recession i would greatly appreciate it. The periodonist and my dentist don't have an answer as of yet except for considering the brushing and flossing of which i now only use a manual toothbrush and lightly floss. i still use listerine.

Thanks for the help.

Adam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User
Re: advice please on receding dental papilla

i cant see how the dentist or other one ,could say you've flossed too hard or too much and used the electric tooth brush ,too much
they normally say ,to do both ,wished they made up theyre mind ,they obviously dont have any answers for you and are just making excuses

i think,you have done all the right thing for your teeth and gums ,floss them and clean them with electric toothbrush and listerine.
like some people you do all the right things yet you have problems with your teeth or gums

i am in same position,no matter how much i paid out for my teeth to get sorted ,(mind you after dentist i have had damaged them), i clean them and use mouthwashes etc but never seem to get sorted out and have loads problems with either my teeth or gums

not sure what the answer is as i dont think the dentists have either but to charge every tiem you try to get answers from them

good luck i hope you get some answers and get it sorted

Old 08-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
(female)

Rosie the 3rd HB User

Hi Adam,

I have alot of recession of the papilla between the teeth-I can only tell you that my dentist told me that it is impossible to grow back the "pink" . Once it is gone, it's gone. All you can do is work with the white, he said. My white isn't much to look at and am very depressed about the loss of the papilla which you can never grow back. As far as I am aware, if your gums were really healthy you would not have receeding gums, sounds to me like you have some gum disease. I would get a second opinion from a periodontalist.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi Adam,
Is it possible that the alcohol in the Listerine is too strong? My DH was told not to use Listerine because of the alcohol drying out his gums. Just a thought. He uses Crest ProHealth now. No alcohol.
Best of luck with your problem.
Gellia

Closed Thread