It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
(female)

julie0476 HB User
Help, Do I have Osteomyelitis, Can it travel throughout body?

I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with my body since October 2007 and have been to numerous family doctors, RA Dr.'s, Neuro MD, Oral Surgeon, Dentist and Endontist.....it goes on and on. I started with jaw pain, then had shoulder pain, knee pain, ankle pain, hip pain...it just keeps making it's way around my body and I am afraid pretty soon every inch of my body is going to be in excruitiating pain. I am so sick of going to Dr's and no one has an answer or solution to make me feel better. The Dentist referred me to an endontist to have a root canal done on a molar on the upper right side of my mouth. During the root canal I was almost in tears trying to keep my mouth open while he worked to complete the root canal. After he was done I had to close it so carefully I was in so much pain. After 2 months I was still in a lot of pain. I went back to the dentist and he told me to go back to the endodontist. I went back to the endo. and he said go back to the Dentist and get a cleaning. I had the cleaning and had an antibiotic injection in my gums. The pain remained. The Dentist then did TMJ x-rays and said there was very mild TMJ problems. They fit me for a nightguard, however this was too painful for me to wear at night. They also referred me to an oral surgeon to have the tooth looked at which I had the root canal on to see if I needed an apic. however the oral surgeon said he recommended I have the tooth extracted. I went ahead and followed his advice and he extracted the tooth as he said he was 95% sure this would make the pain go away. He also did a bone graft so I could have an implant done in the future. Now 2 months later I still have excruitiating pain in my upper right jaw. The pain goes around to the back of my head, the bottom of my skull and into the shoulder. I also have continued pain and stiffness in my right hip, right knee and right ankle. My knee swelled up and I had to have it drained by a Rheumatalogist in December. Now my ankle is swollen and very sore as well. I have had lots of blood tests done and found a high SED rate, a high white blood cell count and was anemic. If anyone is still reading this, THANK YOU! Today, I had a follow up appt. with the oral surgeon who extracted my right molar 2 months ago and told him I thought I have Osteomyelitis. He said after looking at my teeth and taking an X-ray he was 100% sure I did not have Osteomyelitis. So, what do you think? Does anyone have anything they can share that may help me out with this problem? I asked the surgeon if he could do a bone biopsy from my jaw and he said there was no reason to do that, that the x-rays looked fine. He told me that I should go back to the Dentist and see if another tooth may be causing me the problems. I am so sick of going around in circles and just want all of these pains to go away....any advice or suggestions or answers would be great. Thank you so much!

Need help in Indiana....

Julie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Help, Do I have Osteomyelitis, Can it travel throughout body?

I am pretty sure you have tmj - not a tm joint issue but the muscular form of tmj where your skeletal alignment becomes affected and your entire body is impacted. Various things can trigger it - prolonged dental visits with your mouth wide open, changes in bite (fillings, crowns, losing teeth, etc), grinding or clenching, a shift in jaw position, trauma to the head or neck or face, etc. For some the affects can be widespread - most often to the neck or c-spine but for others it can then trickle down to the shoulders, limbs and pelvis/hips and affect other muscle groups as well. It can be quite dibilitating - I have had it for 5 yrs now - most people run the gamut of both medical and dental drs and get no answers or better yet get diagnosed with a host of other conditions - MS, dystonia, dysplasia, dyskinsia, fibromyalgia, RA, salivary gland infections, trimengial neuralgia, etc.

If you can, find a very good holistic or tmj dentist trained in FJO - functional jaw orthotics and a chiro trained in applied kinesiology (search under ICAK) or a chiro who specializes in tmj or sports medicine. There is a tmj forum here as well - maybe copy your post there as well to see if others who have similar problems will relate to your post as much as I did. I kind of went down a similar path that you did to the point I couldn't work anymore - its been a long road and I am only recently starting to see some improvement - the real problem is trying to find the right drs - you will need both, the chiro - to correct what has happened to your body - and the dentist to correct your bite and jaw position. I hope you are able to do both and get some answers real soon.

Closed Thread