It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
(female)

grrrtoothpain HB User
Impacted wisdom tooth can cause this much pain?

When it gets angry at me it feels like someone hit me with a hammer. And if it doesn't settle down it can go from that to feeling like a live wire jumping around in there and even made that side of my tongue hurt once. Certainly doesn't feel like 'teething' as described to me by my dentist and OS. And I never felt a thing when the rest of my wisdom teeth came in.

It doesn't matter that I'm taking ibuprofen round the clock to keep the inflammation down. If there's pressure put on it, it sets it off. It's not constant but when set off it can be irritable for two days straight.

There's no sign of infection but I did do a course of antibiotics just in case. The tooth next to it had a bigger cavity that was filled but that seems fine. Matter of fact, when I was numbed for that I could still feel the pressure on the impacted tooth and it still hurt.

I just find it crazy that a tooth without decay and no sign of infection can cause that kind of pain. And now I'm freaked out about having them out (I know I have to) because of the whole 'by the way, there's a slight chance it could affect the nerve'. Yikes. And because the pain feels like a live wire sometimes (but more regularly like a hammer) more than teething and that it wouldn't numb before makes me worry more.

This stinks.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
(female)

grrrtoothpain HB User
Re: Impacted wisdom tooth can cause this much pain?

Has anyone had an impacted tooth that caused that kind of pain? Is the Orajel lady right that it can be worse than labor pain???

It's #17. 18 had the bigger cavity that was filled so it was hard to say initially where the pain was coming from.

But, when she tapped around again, nothing about 18 bothered me. It was when she tapped on 17 that I jumped. I guess I'm kinda worried that 18 was traumatized and might turn into needing rct. It doesn't hurt that I can tell but sometimes when I chew (even softer foods) I feel 'pressure' that I didn't feel before. And it's still really sensitive to cold after 2 1/2 weeks. It HAD been sensitive to sweets but that's it. It's not pain right now (I don't think), just something not quite right. Maybe it needs to be adjusted. I guess I won't really know tilll I get these wisdoms out.

Does electric pain from an impacted tooth sound normal? I would NOT call it 'teething pain'. It's baaaaaaaad.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
(female)

Corrie06 HB User

I had REALLY bad pain from an impacted wisdom tooth a few weeks ago. (You can go back in the archives of this forum and read my thread about it.) The pain was horrible and I was ready to have it pulled, but the dentist was concerned about the nerve issue you mention, and so we decided to wait. I took antibiotics and ibuprofen and eventually the pain and swelling went away. But it took almost 3 weeks to completely resolve. I also used a lot of natural remedies including salt water, oil of oregano, tea tree oil and hydrogen peroxide.

It sounds like you need some better pain killers. Ask your dentist for something powerful. Vicodin was wonderful for me. The pain was like being hit in the face with a brick (I am sure you can relate). The vicodin knocked out the pain for hours and allowed me to sleep.

Good luck!

Old 08-28-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
(female)

grrrtoothpain HB User

Thank you SOOOOOO much for replying!!! It's good to hear from someone that doesn't think I'm just being a baby about a little teething problem!

I've done the salt water and hydrogen peroxide rinses as well and a course of antibiotics with ibuprofen. The OS did give me a script for vicodin for after I have them out. Maybe I should fill it now. The thing is this started a month and a half ago. It did seem to get better after I did the antibiotics and had 18 fixed but the last few days it's been that bad all over again.

I tried to tell the OS about the severity of the pain but I didn't feel like he really got it. Maybe he did but has heard it before so doesn't think a thing of it.
You're right that it is this nerve issue that concerns me. It didn't seem to concern him though. He only mentioned it as a part of the list of possible complications that HAS to be mentioned. The assistant told me if he thought it was an issue he would have mentioned possibly just removing some of the tooth but leaving the root till they 'move up' away from the nerve or something like that.
I just wish he would've addressed my concern better. He has a really good rep and I'm sure he's great but kinda made me feel like I'm being a baby. Yes, I'm nervous about surgery and this nerve thing but I have a high tolerance for pain and this is REALLY bad. I don't think anybody that has not experienced it could have a clue how bad it can be.

I don't know that this will resolve itself without being removed. Maybe I should get another opinion about how close it really is to the nerve to make myself feel better. I don't know. He said it's a pretty 'straightforward case' but the type of pain it is makes me nervous that it's really not.

Thanks

Old 08-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
(female)

Corrie06 HB User

I think that severe pain is actually pretty common with wisdom teeth. I would definitely get the Vicodin prescription filled. You won't believe how much they help! Just don't try to do anything tricky, like perform surgery or fly a plane, lol! Cause they do make you a little dopey.

I think getting a second opinion is a good idea. The nerve issue is a serious one to consider, plus you've had other extractions in the area which could be complicating things. I did a lot of research while I was suffering from this (for nearly 3 weeks!). What I learned in a nutshell, is that wisdom teeth can be allowed to stay in the jaw, IF they are not causing problems. If you can get the pain and any swelling/infection to go away, then you might want to just leave the wisdom tooth alone (that's what I'm doing). However, if the tooth continues to cause problems, then you pretty much have to extract it. The risk of nerve damage is fairly small, though it was a concern to me too, so I understand your hesitation. The bottom line is, try everything you can, and if the tooth won't stop killing you, you'll have to get it yanked.

But definitely get those Vicodins...you will be SO GLAD you did!!!

Best of luck!

Old 08-30-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
(female)

grrrtoothpain HB User

Thanks again Corrie

I would SO love to leave them where they are. I was told when I was younger they should come out, just like I'm sure everybody is. But, I thought , yeah right. If they aren't bothering me, they're staying put. Now it's coming back to haunt me.

I've never had any extractions. Just one pretty deep filling recently....which is another thing to worry about with it being right next to this bothersome wisdom tooth. I don't want it knocked around and ending up needing a root canal.

Thanks for the advice

Old 08-31-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
(female)

lysinelover HB User

I was also told in the past "not to worry" unless I was in pain or they caused problems. I wish I had them taken out earlier- i was 39 when they finally caused pain -of course the risk factors go way up at this age. I had all mine surgically removed & it turned out OK but i was really paranoid about the possible nerve damage etc. If they are impacted i doubt that will just fix itself, of course i am not a dental professional, but I really wish I had gotten all of it over with when I was younger. It wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined (I'm pretty phobic). Good Luck!

Old 09-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
(female)

grrrtoothpain HB User

Well, I did it guys. I couldn't take it anymore. that was the worst pain I've ever has to deal with. I went in today around noon to have all four out and the last bit of numbness just wore off. Now I'm just pretty sore from the extractions but hopefully that takes care of the pain I was experiencing. I cacn't wait till I'm healed and can feel normal again. Thank you both for your support.

Closed Thread