It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

xersen HB Userxersen HB User
White Stripes down both sides of tongue

Hello,

for a few years now I have had a strip of white, sort of raised areas running down both sides of my tongue. It's sort of hard to describe exactly what it looks like. If I could post links here, i would post a pic, but I don't think that's allowed.

If i scrape it with a tongue scraper, it improves, but never completely goes away using that method.

I noticed something a few months ago though. After a course of antibiotics (for something, can't remember what now), I noticed that the white stripes had completely, 100% vanished. After I was done with the antibiotics, the stripes returned.

I had some extra amoxocilin form something else, so about a month later, just to experiment, I took it for a few days, and again, the white stuff disappeared. i know, not the safest thing, but it went fine.

My question is, has anyone seen this and is this more of an issue for my doctor or my dentist? I'm sure both would just say brush your tongue better, but it bugs me and i find it curious that i have this fungal/bacterial stuff in my mouth that only goes away when i take antibiotics. I also have a slew of other vague health problems that I deal with like fatigue, dizziness, and a lot of other random stuff. I've heard that the tongue can be an indicator of other systemic illnesses, so maybe it's time to look into it a little more..? i dunno, maybe that's just me being hopeful that this is a missing piece to the puzzle.

I don't have dental insurance, so I don't go that frequently. I do plan to ask about it at my next checkup, but that's not until november.

Last edited by xersen; 08-28-2008 at 11:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
(male)

leonardoo HB User
Re: White Stripes down both sides of tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslager View Post
Hello,

for a few years now I have had a strip of white, sort of raised areas running down both sides of my tongue. It's sort of hard to describe exactly what it looks like. If I could post links here, i would post a pic, but I don't think that's allowed.

If i scrape it with a tongue scraper, it improves, but never completely goes away using that method.

I noticed something a few months ago though. After a course of antibiotics (for something, can't remember what now), I noticed that the white stripes had completely, 100% vanished. After I was done with the antibiotics, the stripes returned.

I had some extra amoxocilin form something else, so about a month later, just to experiment, I took it for a few days, and again, the white stuff disappeared. i know, not the safest thing, but it went fine.

My question is, has anyone seen this and is this more of an issue for my doctor or my dentist? I'm sure both would just say brush your tongue better, but it bugs me and i find it curious that i have this fungal/bacterial stuff in my mouth that only goes away when i take antibiotics. I also have a slew of other vague health problems that I deal with like fatigue, dizziness, and a lot of other random stuff. I've heard that the tongue can be an indicator of other systemic illnesses, so maybe it's time to look into it a little more..? i dunno, maybe that's just me being hopeful that this is a missing piece to the puzzle.

I don't have dental insurance, so I don't go that frequently. I do plan to ask about it at my next checkup, but that's not until november.
did ur problem solve. I have similar prblem like urs.plz help !!

Closed Thread