It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User
what is deep scaling root plaining ,what does it entail?

been to a peridontist ,yesterday and he dont some tests ,and said he was going to do deep scale /root planing !!

what is it ? what does he do exactly? does he numb me up ,or knock me out to do treatment?
does it hurt *eek* and how will i be afterwards?

he has said i be very sensative to cold drinks for a week or two,but said nothing about hot drinks etc?

has anyone had this treatment before and can tell me exactly what it is

thank you

Old 08-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User
Re: what is deep scaling root plaining ,what does it entail?

Hi,
I just finished my last treatment yesterday. For this dental phobic, it really wasn't as bad as I had imagined. They did mine in quadrants every two weeks. For the bottom teeth, I got a novoacaine nerve block (my request) and some, to the teeth themselves, shots. After that, I didn't feel a thing. When the novacaine wore off, I was just gentle with my tooth brush for a few days. It took all summer but I'm finished and, while I wouldn't call it a "piece of cake", it wasn't bad at all.
They will numb you up and you'll do great!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2008, 07:31 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

thank you for your reply
i'm glad your treatment was successful !!

what do they actually do exactly? i have had scaling of my teeth done before and without being numbed up ,which is painful in itself

so how do they do deep scaling plaining ? is it same thing as scaling teeth but deeper ,and was your teeths ensative after to hot /cold or both afterwards?

just want to know exactly what im in for

Old 08-30-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

My perio numbed me up and then it's the same as cleaning, only deeper. My gums were tender for a day or so after, and because my pockets were very deep in places, I do have some sensativity in one tooth, but I'm hoping it will go away. Basically, it's just a more "thorough" cleaning. Being numbed, you don't feel a thing.
I had 1/4 of my mouth done at a time.
It's really not too bad. The shots are, well, the shots. They hurt but are over with in a quick second. For the bottom ones, I had a nerve block which works really well on me. On the uppers, I didn't feel I needed it at all.
I was very nervous about having this done and it really wasn't that hard.
Good luck and best to you.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:53 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

thank you very much for coming back and letting me know ,its nice to be warned in advance what i be up against,
mind you some times ignorance is bliss lol and im lucky the perio said i only need one treatment

well,i be glad to be numbed up then and hopefully once the treatment is done my gums will get better also i'm hoping my 2 mobile teeth will come more securer

thanks again

Old 08-31-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I went out and got "dental picks". They look sort of like a toothpick but also have a teeny brush on one end. They have kept my teeth and gums super clean and the brush cleans out the pockets. My perio was impressed!
Good luck on the treatments. My teeth feel all clean now. I'm determined to keep them that way!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

sorry one more question once i have this scale plaining cleaning ,i have couple teeth that are mobile ,will it help stablelize them? its main reason also because my gums were like boulders at times so swollen but main reason im hoping having my gums sorted out my strenghen my teeth too

Old 09-01-2008, 07:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's a tough one to answer. If you have enough bone to hold your tooth, they should tighten. The two things that hold a tooth in are the bone, which fits around the tooth like a glove, and the periodontal ligament. Having your teeth cleaned will help if the bone is still securely around the tooth.
I'm having to have four teeth pulled because there is not enough bone to hold them any longer even though they are being held tightly by the PDL.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:50 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

thank you very much for your replies ,you have been very helpful

this is my last hope of treatment, before i have to get my head round, having dentures at bottom

thank you again and hope your treatment works for you too xx

Old 09-02-2008, 03:33 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks, and good luck to you, too! Coming from the ultimate dental chicken, RSP isn't bad at all. Hope it works well for you.
Best of luck.

Closed Thread