It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
(male)

Tim in MA HB User
Has anyone had LANAP / Periolase procedure done to them?

I'm 30 years old (male) and have a moderate to severe case of Gum disease. This condition rose not out of neglect, but really out of poor dental care from my old dentist. For years when I went to my Dentist my gums bled and he never made a big deal out of it or told me the issues of gum disease. After going to a new dentist, they did full Xrays and showed me the bone loss, receeding gums (that they aren't normal) and the fact that I have 5 - 7mm pockets. I've had the scaling & planing done twice with routine 3 month cleanings over the past year, but it's only temporary improvement. Pockets don't shrink and the bleeding comes back. It's really frustrating for me to be in this position at such a young age, and at times it really depresses me that I can start losing my teeth at such a young age. Lately I've even felt that a few of my lower front teeth have slight play and can wiggle slightly. My genes don't help, as my Dad struggled with this same disease for years before having all his teeth pulled in his late 50s. At this point, if I can keep my teeth till his age I'll be very happy.

Anyhow, I'm scheduled to have LANAP done with Periolase at the beginning of October by a reputable dentist in the area. I've done lots of research on all of the available procedures and this looks to be one of the lease invasive procedures out there with some of the best results. The two references I spoke with had deeper pockets and worse conditions than myself, and they said pockets shrunk by more than 50% and gums are healthy & pink. Many cases I've seen online, people have actually regrown bone and connective tissue to keep teeth firm in place with healthy pink gums.

Has anyone out there had this prodedure done or no of anyone that's had it done? I'm curious to see what the results have been.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
(female)

freedomspice HB User
Re: Has anyone had LANAP / Periolase procedure done to them?

Hi Tim !

Did you have it done ?
I am curious about your results.
It was just recommended for me and am trying to find out more information ! Thanks .

Old 09-18-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
(male)

Tim in MA HB User

Not yet. It was actually me who suggested it to you in the other thread. I'm scheduled to have it done in 2 weeks...the results won't be immediate, they say it takes a good year for most of the healing to occur before they probe for pocket depth. I'd suggest meeting with a General Denist or Periodondist who is certified in this procedure and get their opinion. A word of caution though - dentists or periodontists who are not familiar with LANAP will likely tell you this is not a viable procedure (mainly becuase they don't know how it works, nor have they seen the results). [Removed] Review Periolase or LANAP and you'll find some good information on the procedure.

[Do not suggest internet searches or post anything about other websites as outlined in the board guidelines. Please read more about this and the other rules by clicking the "Posting Policy" above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 09-18-2008 at 07:34 PM.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
(male)

Tim in MA HB User

So I had the procedure done this morning on half of my mouth. It wasn't too uncomfortable or painful...just a little. Procedure went like this:

- Shots to numb up half my mouth. Needles were kind of painful, but not terrible. Hurts a little while they do it, but the pain is gone as soon as they pull the needle out. The shots had epinefrum (sp?) in them which made me jittery and my heart raced a bit. Actually had a hot flash (and I'm a guy!), but it passed. They said this is normal.
- Laser was used between teeth and gums to zap and kill the diseased tissue. This only hurt on areas where there wasn't enough novacane. Where it hurt, I raised my hand and they numbed me up more. The smell was pretty nasty. The laser is basically killing the diseased tissue (I wanted to say cooking it, but that sounds pretty nasty). She put some vicks vapor rub underneath my nose to make the smell more tolerable.
- Deep root planing & scaling. When they say deep, they mean DEEP. She went down to the bone. Very forceful procedure to scrape away all the plaque & tartar below the gum line. Not painful since I was numb, just very forceful. There were times when the novacane was wearing off so they had to retreat the areas. By this time, I could not feel any of the needles.
- Another laser treatment used to help the healing process begin.
- They checked my bite and grinded high spots on my teeth.

Tomorrow I'm going back to have the 2nd half of my mouth done. All I have to say is thank GOD for novacane! I could not imagine having this done without pain meds.

I'm home now. The right side of my face is pretty swolen, but I'm not in much pain. My mouth bled LOTS during the procedure though. Like profusely. Most of the bleeding has stopped now, but I've got some nasty blood clots around the gum lines and 1 of my teeth is completely coated in blood that's clotted. Feels gross, but this is what she wants to see. The clots appranently help with the healing process. She'll probably remove some of the clot that's coated 1 of my entire teeth tomorrow during my next visit. I don't want to touch anything at this point.

I'm not supposed to brush for 10 days, and not rinse until Friday. They gave me a prescription strength PerioRX rinse which is all I'm supposed to do for 10 days. No brush or flossing what so ever. Then they will give me special instructions on how to brush & floss after the 10 day period. Apparently it's very important to not distrub the healing process. She also put me on a prescription antibiotic to take for 1 month. Lastly, she has me on some PerioTherapy Vitamins to help attack this from the inside. I feel like I'm waging an all out war agains this disease!

I'm only supposed to drink liquids for 3 days - they want no food getting caught in the pockets. Then for 7 days, it's mush food only - eggs, yogurt, etc. I think I'm going to be very hungry!

I really hope this procedure does the trick. She checked my pockets before and I have 4mm up to 8mm pockets. The xrays showed significant bone loss - she said I was as stage 3 (1 being the least worst, 4 being the worst...I think). Some of my teeth are slightly mobile, but this procedure is supposed to help stablize and hopefully firm up my loose teeth. She won't probe again for 9 months or so, but said we should see 50% pocket reduction and bone density should increase to stablize any more damage.

I'll post again on my check-ups to track progress. If any of you are religious out there, say a prayer for me!

Old 10-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #5
(female)

freedomspice HB User

Tim,

Thank you sooooo much for taking the time to write this out.
You are in my thoughts for good recovery. Did you lose any of your teeth as a result of the disease ?
I too have 4 to 8 mm pockets and I will find out on October 20th how the laser treatment is going to work out for me.
I've had all the shots you described before for a scaling and planing and I hate how the drug makes my heart racy . But it beats feeling the pain so I'll go through it again. These needles are BIG, YIKES !!!

Let us know how you are doing and how you are healing !!!
I will post here too once I get mine done !

Keeping you in my thoughts for speedy recovery.
Sending lots of ice cream and tapioca pudding your way .

Old 10-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
(male)

Tim in MA HB User

FreedomSpice - thanks for the kind words. It's nice to know there are other people out there that can relate to what I'm going through.

I had the 2nd half done this morning. Not as bad since I knew what to expect. The laser part is really a piece of cake. It took a while for her to adjust my bite right though towards the end. I had braces when I was a kid, and of course my teeth (and overbite) have moved.

I did have 1 snafoo last night. An area around 1 tooth never really stopped bleeding and formed a GIGANTIC blood clot encompassing like 4 of my molars. It was literally the size of a tootsie role. I was going to leave it be, but I couldn't sleep, nor could I close my mouth. I slowly took it off, but the bleeding kept going and formed another smaller clot this AM. The dentist ended up applying pressure with guase to stop the bleeding and all is good now. She thinks I might have a bleeding disorder, which I've been told by other dentist in the past as well. The thing is, I've been to a hematologist 3 times and they have literally tested me for everying, and all signs point towards a normal clotting time and no disorders.

Other than that, the pain is not too bad and I really don't see the need to keep taking Ibuprofin, but I will do it anyhow to follow Dr's orders.

I'm praying that my condition improves...I guess now it's just a waiting game and following my home care regimen to the T. Next check up isn't for 10 days...

Old 10-02-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
(female)

freedomspice HB User

I'll keep you in my thoughts !
I am going in tomorrow for a complete check up and treatment plan. Thought i'd have to wait until the 20th but the dentist had an opening !

Yikes, about the clot. That sounds unpleasant.
Were you checked for anemia ?

Old 10-03-2008, 05:40 AM   #8
(male)

Tim in MA HB User

Yes, I was checked for anemia and everything was normal. I'm going to go back again though and get tested for bleeding time again. They did a bleeding time test on me twice before. They basically make a small cut on your arm and time how long it takes to clot. The first time they did it, the clotting took 15 minutes (normal is 3 to 4), so it was very high. The 2nd time they did the bleeding time test in a different arm it took 3 minutes, which is normal. The thing is, the tests were done by two different nurses and the cuts were different size. The bigger one obviously took longer to clot. So which test was right? No one knows, so I'm going to have it done a 3rd time.

A suggestion you might want to think about. If you haven't had full mouth xrays taken, you might want to do it (if your anal like me) to see official before & after xrays. Insurance only pays for it like every 3 to 5 years, but I had it done again and paid out of pocket. It was only like $175.00. I intend to get them done again in 1 year to hopefully see some great progress.

Good luck and don't be nervous. It really wasn't that painful and I'm feeling much better today.

Closed Thread