It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 06:39 AM   #1
(male)

eLp619 HB User
Wisdom Teeth Removal/Smoking

Hello everyone, first post here, just saying hi.

But enough small talk, heres my problem/question.

I had my wisdom teeth removed at about 2pm yesterday (9/5) and it is now 930 AM the next day (9/6). It was a prefect procedure, nothing went wrong at all. The heaving bleeding lasted most of the day, but started wearing off around night time. I am still bleeding VERY little now, but it is completely diluted with saliva when i let it drip out of my mouth (because you are not supposed to spit).

As I was leaving, I asked the dental assistant when I would be able to smoke again, because I did a little reading on dry sockets (and read you should wait at least 5 days, but i also read of people waiting far less then that.) she said the very least I should wait is till the next day. So now my question is:

Is it the smoke itself that would cause dry socket (or any complications), or is it the pulling motion (same reason they tell you not to use straws). For example, if I found a way to smoke without the same sucking/pulling motion as a straw, would the smoke cause damage? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
(female)

donnag2558 HB User
Re: Wisdom Teeth Removal/Smoking

hey, I smoke and every time I have had a tooth removed I have gotten a dry socket. I usually waited the one day. My husband though would start to smoke the next day and he wouldnt ever get a dry socket. So I guess its like 50/50...who knows. people who do not smoke probably dont think this is a question that deserves a reply. But I would like to say we are all equal. Maybe some others dont smoke, but lets say...they eat like a pig. hmmm..which could be worse! Back to your question...I think its the pulling motion , like with a straw, maybe you can somehow work it out where your not doing the pulling motion... but really ... ya' might better wait 2 days at least... good luck! I have to go get a back tooth removed next week so I will be in your place...Godbless!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2008, 06:07 AM   #3
(female)

tinastoys22 HB User

I was wondering that myself I had four out and didn't smoke or eat for a week but some people say if you get a partial its different ,I wonder if their right .

Old 09-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I am one of those people that smoke about an hour after having oral surgery (extractions, flap surgery, implants, etc) - I am not proud of it but it goes to prove the point that some will have problems if they smoke and some will not (I am one of those). I was told by just about every dr that it is both the drawing or sucking motion (can disturb blood clots or rupture sutures) and the smoke itself (restricts blood capillaries and oxygen supply to the area which needs both to heal quickly and fully) that does the harm. One dr told me if I must smoke immediately afterward to put a peice of wet gauze over the area while smoking and then gently rinse with warm water soon after removing the WET gauze (remoisten it with water if feels dry before removing it so you do not disturb any bloodclots).

Old 09-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
(male)

eLp619 HB User

Hey guys. Well to get back to you I didn't smoke at all the day I got my teeth out, had about one cigarette the day after (mind you the lady at the front desk said I could resume normal smoking the next day), and slowly came back to almost a normal rate till today I decided to cut back. I don't know if I see what I'm seeing but when I look in my mouth it seems as if I see some bone where my tooth used to be, but I'm hoping its something the doc left there and not my jaw . Anyway, I go back tomorrow to get checked out and have the stitches removed, and I'll post back to inform everyone if I ruined my mouth or not! (and my personal opinion on how long you should wait to smoke).

Old 09-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
(female)

brattybratteddi HB User

For starters I believe that if you aren't doing the pulling/sucking motion you aren't getting the same feeling as if you were to smoke as you normally do. What I mean by this is basically you are smoking, but not inhaling (hence the nicotine addiction). At least in my opinon. I had 1 tooth pulled in October of 07, They told me the same thing they tell everyone. They said to increase fluids, no smoking blah, blah, blah. Anyways since the dentist had thought he was going to take out 4 teeth my mouth was completely numb I couldn't drink as everything dribbled down the front of my. The only way I was able to drink for the remainded of that day 3pm and for the next to following days was by using a straw which is a classic no, no. I was real numbed up and this was my only way to get any liquids in. I also smoked some not as much as usual but still some and on that same day in fact less than 15 minutes after leaving the building. Again like using the straw when smoking I had to lift a lip up, and put pressure on it in able to drink or smoke. Other than looking like a dork, I had no problems no dry socket no complications.

May of 08 I had 4 teeth removed (the other 3 from the previoud thought plus 1 other). They knocked me out with IV sedation and apparently some novicane as well. However, since I was IV sedated I had no problems in drinking or smoking. I had 2 teeth pulled from the upper right #1 and 2 and 2 from the left pulled #14 and 16. I again smoked after getting out of the office and again had no complications or dry sockets. I had dissolving stitches and was a bit swollen but other wise was fine. Granted I guess it is a 50/50 draw in regards to complications but I was lucky. My boyfriend having had tons of dential work in his life time always smoked after any of his procedures as soon as he got out of the office, and also drank a beer or 2 from what he has told me. He is now going on 62 yrs of age and also never had any complications or dry sockets either.

P.S. The reasoning behind the IV sedation and why those other teeth weren't pulled back in Oct. I have a great fear of the dentist. I have had too many bad experiences from them in regards to other dental work and heard a lot of other people's nightmares. After taking the 1st tooth (which was still a baby tooth even at the age of 38 then) I felt everything. I know he used novicane, however; apparently not in the right area as I felt literally everything he did. I almost bit him from what he said and recommended me to go to an Oral Surgeon. LOL. Apparently for any dental work now a days outside of checkups I guess I will be seeing the oral surgeon.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
(male)

eLp619 HB User

Hey guys. If anyone else is even paying attention to this, I apparently didn't give myself dry socket which is great news. I hear of people smoking right after every time and not getting dry socket. But my advice is:

You should definitely wait the first day, and I would say even until the bleeding stops considerably. Come on, your mouth just had 4 teeth forcefully removed, and the chemicals in cigarettes aren't great for you to begin with. So from what I have gathered, chances are you normally wouldn't get dry socket, and if you smoke during the week after getting them removed, its probably brings it to about 50/50.

Hope this thread helps any future smokers and good luck!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:01 AM   #8
(female)

foreverexisting HB User
Lightbulb Re: Wisdom Teeth Removal/Smoking

hello all,
well i jsut got my wisdom teeth out on Monday at 2pm, all four of them. it's now Wensday and i crave a smoke. after reading all this information i've chosen to not take the risk, i'll be traveling soon and don't want to risk anything that can damage my mouth. I'll wait a week, or untill swelling goes down fully. I've been told that i'll get bruises by thursday (tomorrow), i'm worried that this is all taking to long. At the moment my cheeks are swollen some, and teeth arein a bit of pain if off meds, any tips to quicken the healing process? i want to be okay for work on Monday!!!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:04 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverexisting View Post
well i jsut got my wisdom teeth out on Monday at 2pm, all four of them. it's now Wensday and i crave a smoke. [...] I'll wait a week, or untill swelling goes down fully.
If you can abstain from smoking for a week, why not quit completely? Some say that the first week of smoking cessation is the hardest, so if you make it through that, you may be most of the way to becoming a non-smoker. It will do your mouth and the rest of your body (and your wallet) good.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:59 PM   #10
(female)

foreverexisting HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlhb View Post
If you can abstain from smoking for a week, why not quit completely? Some say that the first week of smoking cessation is the hardest, so if you make it through that, you may be most of the way to becoming a non-smoker. It will do your mouth and the rest of your body (and your wallet) good.
ha ha well that's true, i gave into temptation today and had one, but it didn't really satisfy me like they use to so i think i'll handle quitting, i have to any way in order to do this summer camp thing, no smoking aloud. i never planned to smoke forever, but i guess no one really does. this operation was a painful yet good awakening .

Old 05-07-2009, 05:06 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

I smoked right after coming out of the dentist office for all my teeth that got pulled!

Then when I got the remaining teeth out for my dentures I had to wait a few hours, I was to numb and had to much stuff in my mouth to smoke.

Im going to have my remaining 4 teeth taken out soon, and I know I will smoke immediately after!

With this all said, I only every had dry socket once! And I would be at the dentist getting atleast a tooth pulled every other time before they pulled all the uppers.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:48 AM   #12
(female)

foreverexisting HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLp619 View Post
Hello everyone, first post here, just saying hi.

But enough small talk, heres my problem/question.

I had my wisdom teeth removed at about 2pm yesterday (9/5) and it is now 930 AM the next day (9/6). It was a prefect procedure, nothing went wrong at all. The heaving bleeding lasted most of the day, but started wearing off around night time. I am still bleeding VERY little now, but it is completely diluted with saliva when i let it drip out of my mouth (because you are not supposed to spit).

As I was leaving, I asked the dental assistant when I would be able to smoke again, because I did a little reading on dry sockets (and read you should wait at least 5 days, but i also read of people waiting far less then that.) she said the very least I should wait is till the next day. So now my question is:

Is it the smoke itself that would cause dry socket (or any complications), or is it the pulling motion (same reason they tell you not to use straws). For example, if I found a way to smoke without the same sucking/pulling motion as a straw, would the smoke cause damage? Thanks in advance for any help.
hey,
okay i got my wisdom teeth out last monday, it's now friday so four days ago. i didn't smoke untill the third day and only had one. i was told that they were suprised i held out that long, i'd advise to wait 3-4 days, and as soon as you come in from a smoke have warm water and salt!! that is a must!! don't forget it, cause it's good for healing .
um the sucking motion and also the smoking is both bad for the first couple days as your wounds need to heal and you'll be stopping that and not letting the blood clot heal or the flesh.
trust me i've done alot of research on this and have been confirmed this my the very person who did my operation.
you'll be fine, just hold out for three days at least
cheers

Old 09-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #13
(female)

waypastbeating HB User

i had a lower molar extraction today, and smoked 15 min after. the D.A. knew I was a heavy smoker and wouldn't be able to quit for the 3 days-1 week. She said if smoking is a must, to at least keep a damp piece of gauze over the hole, and suck as lightly as possible - and even then that is not a sure way to prevent dry socket from happening. I've even heard of people cutting off or partially cutting off the filters so theres less sucking involved... I have had dry socket before in another extraction, and I wasn't a heavy smoker then. Right now I'm doing everything I can to prevent this from happening again, but I'm not going to lie, I just can't quit smoking, I have a serious addiction.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #14
(female)

tootsierollll HB User

I just got all four of my wisdom teeth out on Thursday, it went okay, I was in pain the first day which is weird because I've read that a lot of people dont feel any pain the first day. The second day was worse then the first, my face was big, but the third day my face was huuuge. From the very first day, I noticed that the bottom right one was just a huge deep hole, while the other one was pink. Both worried me because I heard youre supposed to have a blood clot in the socket from all the blood. I was in a lot of pain at the beginning, they gave me pure codeine because my doc says I cant have caffeine.. and they dont do much for me.

I smoked the first day, only one cig, the second and third day I smoked a few more. Either that caused the 2 sockets I ended up with..or that I was cleaning my mouth out waay too much, which I was. I finished the mouth wash they prescribe in only a couple of days.

Anyway, I went to the doctors the following Tuesday. I knew the first one at the beginning was a dry socket but I didnt talk to the doctor because I felt that I shouldve been in a lot more pain to have a dry socket, which is why it took me 6 days to see him. He cleaned it (ew), packed it with that black gross tasting ****. He looked at the other bottom one that was a bit irritating and said it looked fine...which I knew it really wasn't.

So the following morinng (today), it started to hurt, the packed dry socket was fine, no pain at all with the black **** in it, for the most part. I really didn't feel like going to class earlier, and I had a feeling the other pinkish gross socket was another dry socket. So, went back in, but this time I had a different doc. he said that it was fine, and the pain was prob just from clenching my jaw, he asked if the codeine worked, i said no, to he prescribed me lorazepam, percs, and some anti=inflammatory. Then, somehow!... a chunk or whatever came out of the non packed one and there is a huge hole now! and I know there wasn't any blood clot over it before, it was just pinkish and white nasty ****. So obv its a dry socket! I gotta go back aaagain tomorrow and bug them to fill it. Hope they dont take my meds away since they are fixing the dry socket...bleh, I hope people will still visit this message board haha.

Closed Thread