It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
(male)

mitchino HB User
Can my tooth be saved?

After not going to the dentist for 7 years, I found myself with a dying tooth and lots of pain. Went to a new dentist, he killed the nerve in the tooth, and took a couple of x-rays. Showing me the x-rays, he indicated that there had been serious decay under the filling of the tooth below the gumline, and that this had spread to the neighbouring molar. He says he can't save either tooth, and wants to extract them.

What I want to know is, is it possible to restore a tooth that has decayed from the side under the gumline? The really bad tooth I agree needs to come out, but the molar seems so solid in my mouth, it's hard to believe it can't be saved.

Should I get a second opinion?

Old 09-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User
Re: Can my tooth be saved?

i would for your own satisfaction get a second opinion

but ,i think you find it can spread to another tooth if left long enough.even though a dentist told me ,it cannot spread to another tooth
but IMO it can if you think about it ,if something is bad and left ,the teeth are in your gums and if one tooth is rotten and left to decay which i would of thought could spread

but go for the second opinion ,just to settle your own mind !! because if the tooth or teeth isnt giving you any pain ,and if the dentist is wrong then why lose it or them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Can my tooth be saved?

Yes, I had a tooth like that. I ended up getting a root canal and saved the tooth. I think you need to have enough tooth left (non decayed tooth) in order to have a crown placed after the root canal. I'd get a second opinion.

Closed Thread