It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 04:31 AM   #1
(female)

Michelle98765 HB User
Unhappy I can't afford to have my Wisdom Teeth removed.

I was surprised at my last visit to the dentist to find out that my wisdom teeth are coming in, and I needed to have them removed. My very friendly dentist and her secretary referred me to an ortho-surgeon who worked across town. We made an appointment for the next day, and after a 5-minute consultation with the surgeon himself, I was informed that I DID, in fact, need to have my wisdom teeth removed.

This 5-minute visit cost me $120.
I learned that the entire surgery (which would last about 20-minutes) would cost an additional $1800.

After speaking to my mother that night she informed me that since I am no longer living at home, and since I think it's so easy to support myself, she doesn't think her insurance will cover me. She works for the government and has great benefits, I know she only had to pay for 20% of the cost of my braces. Also, she paid for the dentist check-up where I found out about the wisdom teeth (the day before) without any malice towards me.

I'm 17 years old. I do not have a job. I do not have time to get a job since I must commit all my free time to school work, so that I might get high enough grades to apply for medical school scholarships (because I can only imagine that I'll be alone on that front as well). I can't go home. Just trust me on that one.

My 17-year old boyfriend (who I'm living with along with his mother), has offered to pay for the surgery. I can't possibly ask him for that without knowing full-well that this is my only option.

So here are my questions:
How necessary is this surgery? I'll also be asking my dentist directly (if she'll see me for free), but I'd like to have some first-hand opinions as opposed to blindly searching the internet.

Is buying dental insurance an option for a 17-year old who needs surgery? Will I profit from the expenses of insurance at all?

Can I apply for any sort of student welfare or loan? My school's social worker is only in on Thursdays so I'll have to wait until then to find out from her.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated; I hate losing sleep over things that are out of my control.

Thank you,
Michelle.

Last edited by Michelle98765; 09-14-2008 at 04:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
(female)

canadianmom HB User
Re: I can't afford to have my Wisdom Teeth removed.

Michelle I see you are in Ontario. Approach OW (Ontario Works) for Emergency Dental Coverage. I am on Disability and my 18 year old daughter needed her wisdom teeth extracted. It was aprox 1800.00 also for the procedure which I could not afford. OW wouldn't pay for all of it but they paid almost $1000.00 towards it. I hope you Mom reconsiders and puts it through her insurance. Good Luck!

Old 09-14-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

i would suggest you do what the poster before me said. Also it is hard to imagine any oral surgeon should charge for a consultation. I would suggest you get a second opinion from another dentist and another oral surgeon. Just because your wisdom teeth are coming in is no reason to remove them unless you have decay or there is infection or there is no room for them.
Also this usually no emergency. I would get other opinions and also universities with dental schools do this for free here in the US....am not sure about Canada.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
(female)

canadianmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallyblondied View Post
Also it is hard to imagine any oral surgeon should charge for a consultation.
Oh yeah they charge for a consultation here. Paid over $100.00 for a 5 min appointment also

Closed Thread