It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
(female)

thesouth1980 HB User
Unhappy Considering dentures..After extraction pain...

Hello all. I recently had two of my teeth break in half. Luckily these are back molars. I am going Wednesday to have them removed. I have already had 3 or 4 teeth surgically removed, not including my wisdom teeth. It seems as if my teeth are rotting out of my head. I am 28 years old. I have always had dental problems.

I have been thinking about what I'll do when my front teeth start breaking. I dont have health insurance or dental insurance of any kind, so I'm having to pay $880 Wednesday to have two teeth pulled. Why so much you ask? I have to go to an oral surgeon because I don't react to novacaine. The last three times I've had to have dental work, the first two, it did absolutely nothing, no numbness at all, and the third and last that I had it, my vocal chords went numb. So needless to say I had to pay more for an oral surgeon.

I dont have a problem with getting my teeth removed and fitted for dentures, but I do have alot of questions. First I figure if I had the other 18 teeth pulled, what kind of pain and swelling will I experiece? I have no tolerance for pain and am a big baby when it comes to my teeth. I've had traumatic experiences as a kid when it comes to the dentist, and I think most of that is having dental work done with no reaction to the novacaine.

Has anyone had 18 or so teeth pulled all at one time? When would I feel up to going back to work? I will not go to work without any teeth, so I would really need my dentures before I went back to work. Any suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I also want to ask about non adhesive dentures. Is there such a thing? My dad was telling me about dentures that just snap onto your gums or something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
(male)

Tim in MA HB User
Re: Considering dentures..After extraction pain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesouth1980 View Post
Hello all. I recently had two of my teeth break in half. Luckily these are back molars. I am going Wednesday to have them removed. I have already had 3 or 4 teeth surgically removed, not including my wisdom teeth. It seems as if my teeth are rotting out of my head. I am 28 years old. I have always had dental problems.

I have been thinking about what I'll do when my front teeth start breaking. I dont have health insurance or dental insurance of any kind, so I'm having to pay $880 Wednesday to have two teeth pulled. Why so much you ask? I have to go to an oral surgeon because I don't react to novacaine. The last three times I've had to have dental work, the first two, it did absolutely nothing, no numbness at all, and the third and last that I had it, my vocal chords went numb. So needless to say I had to pay more for an oral surgeon.

I dont have a problem with getting my teeth removed and fitted for dentures, but I do have alot of questions. First I figure if I had the other 18 teeth pulled, what kind of pain and swelling will I experiece? I have no tolerance for pain and am a big baby when it comes to my teeth. I've had traumatic experiences as a kid when it comes to the dentist, and I think most of that is having dental work done with no reaction to the novacaine.

Has anyone had 18 or so teeth pulled all at one time? When would I feel up to going back to work? I will not go to work without any teeth, so I would really need my dentures before I went back to work. Any suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I also want to ask about non adhesive dentures. Is there such a thing? My dad was telling me about dentures that just snap onto your gums or something.
Keep your teeth! If you have 18 remaining good ones, don't give up on keeping them. Start flossing and brushing twice daily to prolong the life you have left in them. I can't speak to dentures yet thankfully, but I would imagine the pain afterwards would be tough without some good meds. I'd talk to your dentist about options for implants or partial dentures. They have financing available these days.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
(female)

thesouth1980 HB User

I just had those two teeth out this morning, and now the anesthesia (spelling) is wearing off, and its starting to hurt real bad. I took a pain killer that they gave me, but I am immune to those. Arrgghh!

Old 09-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
(female)

Megn80 HB User

I had all of my top teeth pulled out and four on the bottom. I'm a big baby but it wasn't that bad at all. I got shot up with novacaine and didn't feel a thing. The swelling and pain were only really a bother for the first 3 days. Just take your pain meds and ice things up and you should be ok. I didn't immediately get my dentures but it hasn't even been 2 weeks and I feel wonderful. I won't be as bad as you think.

Closed Thread