It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
(female)

mygirl1995 HB User
Lower Denture Problems.........Help

This is my first time on this site. I really dont know what to do. I am a 43 healthly woman that had to get a full bottom denture two months ago due to bone loss. My world has completley changed. I have tried everything over the counter to keep it in place and its 5 6 7 times a day I have to reapply and sneak in resturants after meals.
It has really taken a tole on my nerves....I can not affored implants...does anyone have any suggestions...
I feel so ugly

The following user gives a hug of support to mygirl1995:
aaa9575 (06-15-2011)
Old 09-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Lower Denture Problems.........Help

Make an appt with your dentist to have them relined - even if these are just for the interim he may be able to reline them so they fit snugly so you won't require adhesives. Also - what kind of adhesive are you using - maybe try the cushion type that fits the entire rim of the denture instead of paste or powder which if not applied correctly may leave gaps without adhesive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
(female)

mygirl1995 HB User

Thanks for the advice! I have tried those also as well as everything at walmart..I did call my dentist to see about relining them I am not sure how much it would cost, they said it may or may not help. I dont have insurance...It just seems odd when they took the impressions it should have fit better.........it upsets me everyday..When I go on dates I wont even eat I am afraid I will eat weird plus I know what I have to do I have to sneak to fix it in the bath room stall I want do it in public than i have to worry about bad breath.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Well - your gums tend to shrink over time after the initial extractions are done and when the fitting is done you are still somewhat swollen so its common place for them to become a little loose after a few months pass which is why many people start with one set for a year or so and then get another set that fits more securely. I certainly understand your delema - I have always had problems with my teeth in one way or another and eating on dates has always been problem for me - my purse always has floss and dental picks and brush and toothpaste and on occassion adhesive or dent temp - obviously I try to always be prepared but its add'l worry one doesn't need when tying to have a good time.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:12 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygirl1995 View Post
This is my first time on this site. I really dont know what to do. I am a 43 healthly woman that had to get a full bottom denture two months ago due to bone loss. My world has completley changed. I have tried everything over the counter to keep it in place and its 5 6 7 times a day I have to reapply and sneak in resturants after meals.
It has really taken a tole on my nerves....I can not affored implants...does anyone have any suggestions...
I feel so ugly
aw *hug* dont feel ugly just because you have dentures,your the same person as you were before !!

yes i suppose when you have the dentures out ,it doesnt look nice ,but !! you wont have them out, when your out and about ,or with someone.
no one need know, you have them. and even if they do know,they wont need to see you without them
but if theyre worth having they wont care if you have them in or out as they love you for who you are !!

try some of the adhesives etc for dentures and put a bit more on so they are more stableized

hope you feell more confident soon and things will start looking better for you
good luck

Old 09-28-2008, 04:58 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

You say your denture is new- how new? It takes a while to train your mouth muscles to help hold the denture in place and since it is new and the fit is changing on a daily basis is it very important to get soft relines done periodically. They should have been included in the cost of your denture at least for a while.
Your tongue is very powerful and it is not used to sharing space with anything let alone a removable denture, it wants that thing out of there. If you work at it they will make peace with each other.

Good luck and keep us posted

Sandy

Old 09-29-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
(female)

mygirl1995 HB User

I have had them like three months. This dentist said there would be a charge in an relingment. Yesterday was my birthday I put that stuff in right before I left and as soon as we had lunch i had to run to the bathroom and hide to reapply. I am so broken harded..I have no extra money to get it relined most ppl in my town are laid off from work included me you would think it was included as much as they cost uh.....thanks for the repley

Old 09-30-2008, 04:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Have you called and talked to the dentist who made your dentures? I had partials made this year and any time they need to be adjusted the cost is free! It might only need a small adjustment or maybe even a little help or advice from your dentist. I would call the office and ask what the cost would be if any. Explain your problem to the receptionist, ask about cost, and maybe have the dentist call you back. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Try not to get too discouraged. It takes awhile to get used to them, most especially the lower dentures. I am sorry you are feeling so badly. I totally understand as it has been difficult for me too. But, you will get used to them and you will learn how to deal with them. I would think the dentist could help you with that. Give him a call - after all it is only a phone call and it just might help. Even advice on how to apply and use the creams to keep them in place might help. A dentist can tell very easily if they are fitting properly and even make minor adjustments that help a great deal. And don't be afraid to make that call. You paid for them and it is their responsibility to make them right! You are the patient - it is not your job to make them work it is the dentist's job and responsibility.

glowing4

Old 10-01-2008, 08:27 AM   #9
(female)

mygirl1995 HB User

Thank you..you are right. I need to do that. Its the least they can do even with out insurance to fix it. I paid a forture to have them removed. I have lost 4-5 pds recent because I cant eat. I barely weigh115 I have to do something its bringing me down..

Thanks alot

Old 10-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Our dental insurance only covers $1500. per year and with us that gets eaten up pretty easily! So, don't worry about insurance and not having it. I still say that you paid to have this done and it is their responsibility to make it right.

Let us know how you are doing and how it goes.

glowing4

Closed Thread