It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
(female)

cassius6 HB User
need an answer if anyone has one

ok, I am always worrying about everything. my newest obsession is my teeth. I have good teeth, a few cavities but i'm getting them filled. I noticed that when I bite down the left side touches more it feels uneven or something. I dont know how to describe it. then I realized that the left side my teeth are a little lower than the right. not too bad but i figure thats why it felt uneven. need to know if its something to worry about or not. could it be from braces? I had them as a teen but when I had them off I didnt wear my retainer so i know that can cause them to shift and stuff. Im probably just paranoid but its annoying when I bite down. anybody got an answer?

Old 10-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: need an answer if anyone has one

Its good you noticed it now before this becomes a very painful problem (tmj). Yes it could be the result of your braces or malocclusion of the teeth not meeting correctly - either caused by the braces or the teeth shifting back to their original position due to not wearing the retainer. Even the process of having fillings done can cause one side to become slightly lower. You may want to see an ortho about it or a neuromuscular or tmj dentist trained in FJO - basically what they may want to do is try a splint which raises or lengthens the height of the teeth on the affected side to see if that helps the bite become more balanced without causing other adverse symptoms and once your bite is stabilized to then decided how to make it permanent - whether thru ortho or building the teeth up again with overlays or crowns. Try not to be talked into having the other side filed down (equilibration) as that often starts a seesawing effect of one side feeling lower/higher and then the other, etc.

A lot of people have one side that meets first or one side that seems lower - without experieicing any muscular problems or pain, problems with chewing, or other tmj symptoms like clciking or popping - so if its not significantly affecting you right now you may just want to let you dentist know about it at your next appt and keep on eye on it for any further progression or changes such as more shifting, soreness along the jaw line or sensitivity of the teeth, ear aches or headaches, etc since these can be signs this may become a real issue.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 10-26-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread