It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 05:40 AM   #1
(male)

nuukthis HB User
Can a hygenist damage your teeth?

I'm not sure what to do and I hope you can offer some advice.

I'm a 40-year-old male who has never had sensitive teeth. (Other than 1-2 locations in my mouth with some receding and those spots at one time have been sensitive -- but that's it.) I have regular dental cleanings and appointments and my teeth are in okay condition.

Six months ago I went to my regular cleaning/dental appointment. This was only the 2nd time I had had this hygenist. She cleaned my teeth. The very next morning, while brushing my teeth, I had extreme sensitivity in one of my back molars. Over the next few days the sensitivity mitigated, but to this day I still have sensation with both hot and cold food/beverages in that area. I had never had this problem there before.

One week ago, I went back for another cleaning. Admittedly, I was a bit nervous, but I figured maybe the prior problem was a coincidence -- or maybe even it was a never-to-be-repeated error (like a hairdresser nicking your ear.)

After the cleaning, while my hygenist was polishing my teeth, I could feel sensitivity in areas I had never before felt. And over the last week, my teeth are sensitive in new areas -- and not necessarily areas close to the gum. I can feel this sensitivity every morning when I drink coffee, for example, the tips of my lower front teeth tingle with a sensitivity I have never before had.

I met privately with my dentist last week who (perhaps not surprisingly) told me that a hygenist could not damage the tips of my teeth. That more likely she had removed some calcification? that had built up. Unfortunately, this dentist only has the one hygenist, so if I don't go back to her, I will need to find a new dentist.

What do you professionals think? Is this a bad hygenist? Or is this a thorough hygenist who's cleaning better than others had done before her? Or is this something else? I'm fearful of returning to her -- although she is kind and warm and has a great manner. What do you advise?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User
Re: Can a hygenist damage your teeth?

it is quote possible the hygenist has damaged a tooth
but also on the other hand ,when cleaning around teeth ,it can make your teeth sensative to hot and cold for about 2 weeks

try garlgling in hot salt water and using a sensative toothpaste for a while > see if that is any better
if after 2-3 weeks its no better see what the dentist says it is>? if he says its a dental problem ,.well it sounds like the hygenist has done something to the tooth while cleaning
but the dentist wont admit that to you and just say its the tooth it needed doing and nothing to do with the hygenist
im afraid you have to bite your tongue on this one and just get it sorted
as all dentist etc will stick togsther and you havnt got any actual proof to prove otherwise who is at fault?

when you have treatment done next time and just before you have to have a hygenist clean best time to check if any dental problems then if after seeing the hygenist then if anything happens
you can at least say to the dentist ,well you checked me on such a such date and i saw the hygenist that date ,it must have been something he done or the hygenist?

but vary rarly you will get anywhere as like i said theys tick together and can make it hard for you when or if you see other dentists
as you may or not know they go to meetings and they do talk !!

Last edited by bergerbaby; 10-30-2008 at 09:39 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Closed Thread