It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Oral lichen planus and peridex

Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed by my old dentist as having oral lichen planus a few years back. He said I will have it off and on forever, basically (as long as I'm taking an asthma inhaler, that can cause it). He gave me a prescription for Peridex (mouthwash), and told me to use it for a week in the morning and at bed time, whenever I begin to see the OLP flare up, to keep it under control.

Well, I had gone about 6 months without having any kind of problems with it at all, and then about 6 weeks ago, it re-appeared on my lips (the WORST place to have it, in my opinion, because it looks and feels terrible!). I used the Peridex for a week. About 2 days after I was finished, it came back! So, I waited a few days, and started it again. I used it for another week religiously--I didn't miss one night or morning, and I even waited for 2 hours everyday after using it, to eat or drink. I used it for the last time on Monday night (today is Thursday), and I could tell that it was coming back already on Wednesday morning .

Now, I am pregnant (6 months)--does anybody know if this could be part of the reason that it won't go away for good? Also, I would use it every night if that would keep it away, but the dentist said that it will stain my teeth if I use it too much. I'm not sure what to do... I can't go back to my dentist because the one who diagnosed me as having this issue I'm no longer able to see (I had MAJOR problems with his office), and I've recently been to another dentist, who said he saw no evidence of that problem (I'm got the feeling that he kind of brushed off my concern when I mentioned the fact that I had OLP in the first place, and he seemed like he might not even know much about it, so I don't know how much he would help). Not to mention that my benefits only cover a certain amount for seeing the dentist, and I can't afford to go back again at this time.

Any suggestions, or advice?? Has anybody had any experience with oral lichen planus, and had success with a different treatment? Anybody have experience with Peridex?

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Oral lichen planus and peridex

I have no experience and am not familiar with OLP but have used peridex and it will stain your teeth but it can be removed by having your teeth cleaned by the hygenist - I used to go in every 3 months for a cleaning - plus I used a somewhat abrasvie tooth paste like pearl drops to keep it in check between cleanings - even a tooth paste which contains baking soda or the use of plain baking soda and water may help keep the staining to a minimum.

Interestingly enough I recently saw a news item about inhalers being a haven for bacteria - it caught my interest only b/c my mom used to use one - it suggested the inhaler be boiled at least once a week or replaced frequently to minimize spreading germs or bacteria - is it possible this may be part of the problem - that your inhaler is re-introducing the bacteria?

Old 11-13-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's an excellent point! Thanks so much for your response.
There's definitely a chance that could be what's happening here--I wish I would've thought of that before using the mouthwash so I could've timed it with when I change my inhaler. See, it's an Advair diskus, and it contains 60 doses. Some people use it twice a day, but I only use it once, so one diskus will last me 2 months. And it unfortunately is very expensive, so I can't afford to get rid of it after I get rid of the OLP, unless there's like 1 or 2 doses left maybe... It also can't be un-assembled, so I'm not sure what a good method of cleaning it would be.....
I'm going to ponder this one--thanks!

Whiskers

Old 11-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise--since nobody else has responded, I thought you'd be the best person to ask! And since you have experience with Peridex, of course..

Do you know if using an at-home whitening kit would remove the staining, or any of it? The reason that I ask is that I saw my OB today, and asked her if it's ok to continue using, and she said it was okay, and wrote me another prescription. Now, my only concern is having it stain my teeth, and having to pay an arm and a leg to have the staining removed. I've used Crest Whitestrips a few times in the past, and they work really well for me--people always comment on how nice my teeth are (not to brag..).

I plan to use it for another week--and make sure I disinfect all my inhalers, change toothbrushes, chapstick, etc. and PRAY that it goes away this time!

Hope to hear from you! Or anybody else who might know a thing or two about Peridex!!

Whiskers

Old 11-19-2008, 07:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I used Peridex many years ago when whitening products were not as available OTC as they are today and those that were available were quite harsh. Plus back then they were warning people not to use whitening products if they were having gum problems for risk of damaging gums further - and I was using the Peridex to treat chronic gingivitis and gum infections - so although I did use a whtening product for a few months - once I started with the gum problems I stopped its use and when the dentist prescribed the peridex I was worried that the whitening product was partly to blame for my more recent problem and never tried it again - so I am not sure if it would help or not. However I found the staining primarily occurred in hard to reach places like between teeth, behind the front teeth and near the gum line and more so on white composite fillings and crowns as well as on plaque or tartar and it could actually be scraped off using a dental scaler - which I bought and would use once a week to do home self-cleanings. I have never tried any of the newer whtening products but assuming you have found them to be safe and non-harming to your teeth or gums then I would suggest that you just try it and see if does help with the staining - to be honest the hygenist didn't do anything special in terms of removing the stains - she was just able to get to places I could not reach or get into with my scaler and plus she used a high speed polisher - so maybe look into getting a good electric toothbrush like interdent or sonic or Oral B, etc. And flossing regularly will help - ask your dentist or hygenist about some floss available that is "fuzzy" almost like yarn - or check where other dental products are sold - my dentist had given me this very thick yet soft floss to use that acted like a brush when inserted between teeth.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 11-19-2008 at 07:18 AM.

Closed Thread